GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any trick to put the bike on the center stand?.

I've tried several times with no success.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
opr said:
Any trick to put the bike on the center stand?.

I've tried several times with no success.
It's not a trick, but it is a learned technique.

It's more about stepping hard on the center stand nub and pulling BACK
rather than trying to lift it up.

Step HARD on the nub sticking out from the center stand.

Dennis

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
One more thing I might add to make it a tad easier... set your suspension at 25... this raises the bike ... which I find makes it easier..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Here's what I do...

1. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON LEVEL GROUND
2. Just in case you missed it, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON LEVEL GROUND :lol:
3. Make sure the bike is out of gear (espeically reverse)
4. Put your right foot on the center stand pushing it to the ground
5. Rock the bike up gently until you feel both legs of the stand touching
6. Left hand on the left grip, right hand on the passenger handle
7. Hold tight to the passenger grip and straighten your right leg

You may be able to skip step 3, but I've never been able to do it. It's not a matter of strength, but of leverage.

Good luck and welcome to the board! :beer3:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys.. I'll give it a shot!.

As you can tell I'm kind of new with my Goldwing. The last bike that I had with a center stand was a Kawasaki Ninja and it was 500 Lbs lighter :D And I was also 20Lbs lighter myself

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
backwoods said:
Oh, and one more thing.

All the steps above should be done while standing beside the bike, not seated on the bike. :oops: :oops:
Great point!!, I was trying this seated on the bike ! :oops:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
opr said:
Not sure I would have admitted that, but hey... we've all done equally embarassing things! ;)

Enjoy your new bike and ride safe! :yes1:

:beer2:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
opr said:
backwoods said:
Oh, and one more thing.

All the steps above should be done while standing beside the bike, not seated on the bike. :oops: :oops:
Being seated on the bike makes it very hard to put your RIGHT foot on the center stand lever! :lol:

And, you CAN leave it in gear IF you merely hold the clutch in while setting the Wing on the centerstand.

Hard soled shoes DO help since most of the lifting force comes from standing on the centerstand lever, and very little from lifting with your arms and back.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I find it very helpful to have the weight of the bike as even as possible on the center stand ground contact points. If I am uneven on the weight it is harder to roll on to the center stand. At least for me, if you are young and strong it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with all of the "right hand on the left passenger hand grip and the left hand on the left handlebar grip". However, no one has addressed the position of the right foot relative to the centerline of the mc. I know that when I used to "address" the bike, I faced the left side and positioned my right foot on the center stand "pedal" with my foot facing the rear of the mc. Having had my right heel bone destroyed in a "head-on" in our mini van 12 years ago (it was repaired using bone from my hip), I had a great amount of pain in my foot in the rear facing position. I currently position my hands as described above and stand facing the front of the bike with my right hip close to the saddle and my right heel on the pedal (I know using my right heel doesn't make any sense considering it's history). Placing all of my 210 lbs. on the pedal causes the bike to "jump" up onto the center stand with little or no effort and no pain. I've even done it wearing sandals after washing the bike, with no pain. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
216 Posts
All of the above are great suggestions. You need to literally stand on the stand, that is, put your full weight on it. Once you have done it a few times it will become easy to do.

·
Registered
216 Posts
All of the above are great suggestions. You need to literally stand on the stand, that is, put your full weight on it. Once you have done it a few times it will become easy to do.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If you're still reading this, rather than working on a hernia, one more suggestion:

Leave the sidestand down just in case!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
IB Bud said:
.... I've even done it wearing sandals after washing the bike, ....
This reminds me... make absolutely certain your foot cannot slip off the CS lever! If it does, the bike tends to fall to the right. I know, because the lever was wet and my foot slipped off: I almost dropped it onto a curb. :eek:4: Fortunately I was able to keep it from falling, but I don't want any opportunities to try that again! :wink:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It's actually very easy to get a
Wing on the centerstand but it requires some technique. Also it's better to just pull the clutch in and leave it in gear so that when you take her down she'll stop and not try to run out from under you while in neutral.

·
Registered
871 Posts
All good ideas; but what about getting the beast back off the stand?

I have the bike in gear, clutch in, side stand down.

Then gently rock the bike forward and turn the bars slightly to the right as she comes down. This allows it to lean gently into me where I either catch it (best case) or let the side stand catch it (worst case)...

Also remember to release the clutch as she comes down to keep her from running away from you!

Just a thought...

Lance

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Tip #65 Don't do it bare footed. Wear shoes with a hard sole.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Themobb said:
All good ideas; but what about getting the beast back off the stand?

I have the bike in gear, clutch in, side stand down.

Then gently rock the bike forward and turn the bars slightly to the right as she comes down. This allows it to lean gently into me where I either catch it (best case) or let the side stand catch it (worst case)...
To get it off the stand, I just sit on the bike, bars straight, rock back real hard, then rock (lean) foward. The bike hesitates for a moment, then plops right off the stand every time. My feet are out on both sides to catch it, but it generally comes off straight. I leave the side stand up so my left foot doesn't get caught in it as I catch the bike. I don't know if this is the correct way, but seems to work for me.

·
15 year Member
6,897 Posts
I have read your problem and here is a simple way to avoid a serious foot injury

1. Carfully lay wing on side
2. Deploy centerstand
3. Lift bike back to upright position

And there you have it friend, your wing on its centerstand...

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts