GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm brand new to the Goldwing world. If I knew how nice these bikes were, I would have bought one along time ago. I moved up from a vtx 1800.
I have a couple of questions.

How do you get the bike on its center stand?

I have a larin m/c jack will this work on the Goldwind? The crank case looks as if is lower than the frame. If it works where is the best place it on the bike?

One last question I would like to replace the plastic radiator grills. Do the cowel pieces come off the side fairing that cover the grills or does the faring need to be removed.

Thanks in advance Jim haas

·
Registered
82 Posts
Putting bike on center stand

Hi,
It's pretty easy putting the bike on the center stand
1. In neutral
2. Stand on left side (side kick stand side)
3. Left hand on grip, place rightfoot on center stand and push down until it hits floor. Place right hand on passanger hand rail.
4. With center stand on floor, push bike up so the other side of center stand hits floor. Now your bike is up straight. I would recommend having someone on the other side until you get used to doing this, it will only take you a few times and you will be comfortable doing it.
5. Now all in one move, like a dance step, push down on center stand, pull up on passanger hand rail, it should rock right back on the center stand for you.

Hope that helps
Spike

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
For center stand, bike in neutral on side stand. Left hand on left handlebar, right hand on passenger grab handle. Right foot on center stand. Push the center stand down until it touches the floor. Holding it down use your knee to push the bike upright. As the bike comes up straight you will feel that both legs of the center stand are touching the floor. You can rock it a bit to make sure that both legs are touching, this is critical. Then step down with your right foot and pull up with your right hand. It should not take more than 25 lbs of lift with your arms. I think the problem that most people have is the bike is not perfectly upright when they start to pull. Rock it until you are sure it is straight.
To jack it up, place bike on side stand. If you have stock suspension then you may have to push the front wheel up on to a board to get the frame high enough to get the jack under. Make sure the suspension is set at 25. The jack goes in from the right and one leg of the jack goes under the center stand hinge. When you start to lift it the rear will come up first and it will seem that you can't get the front up. Have faith and keep pumping as the front will come up. It is a little scary but I have done it hundreds of times with no problem. I use straps over the foot pegs to hold the bike a little steadier.

·
Registered
841 Posts
All the below is good advice. The wing center stand gives everybody fits...There is a secret though!! All the advice below is correct. The bike has to be upright with both "sides" of the stand in contact with the ground. I usually rock an inch or two from me until I can feel the stand in the right position. To me the secret is being "over" the bike when you pull and rock. It's an odd feeling at first but as I put all my weight on my right foot ,which is on the stand, and I start the motion, my center of gravity is actually over the motorcycle itself. If you are "outside" the bike or if you can see your feet as you start the motion, you are actually pulling toward you and back and not up and back. I know it sounds strange but it really works.....good luck

·
Registered
800 Posts
I do just like the others have stated except I use my left foot on the center stand not my right. Once you feel both legs of the stand contact the ground, all one motion.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Just put Show Chrome Radiator grills in mine while I was putting LEds on it also. You have to remove the side trim pieces and all 4 bolts on each side. Fairing pockets come out. You can slightly pull sides out enough to snap old ones off and new ones on. Top shelter stays on. It was easy for me.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The other folks have it right about putting the bike up. I would only add that for me, it is more about how hard I push down with my foot than it is about how hard I pull up with my arms. I try to drive the center stand into the pavement with my right foot, and it comes right up. Size and strength have no bearing on this technique.

It IS mandatory that both center stand feet are on the ground. If the bike is just a little bit off center, with only one foot touching, it will be a LOT harder to do.

·
Registered
581 Posts
For center stand, bike in neutral on side stand. Left hand on left handlebar, right hand on passenger grab handle. Right foot on center stand. Push the center stand down until it touches the floor. Holding it down use your knee to push the bike upright. As the bike comes up straight you will feel that both legs of the center stand are touching the floor. You can rock it a bit to make sure that both legs are touching, this is critical. Then step down with your right foot and pull up with your right hand. It should not take more than 25 lbs of lift with your arms. I think the problem that most people have is the bike is not perfectly upright when they start to pull.

I agree that this is the most important and most frequent error in getting the bike on the center stand. If the bike is leaning more to one side and only one leg is on the ground, the bike is twice as hard to get up. Good advice!!!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hi

I'm brand new to the Goldwing world. If I knew how nice these bikes were, I would have bought one along time ago. I moved up from a vtx 1800.
I have a couple of questions.

How do you get the bike on its center stand?

I have a larin m/c jack will this work on the Goldwind? The crank case looks as if is lower than the frame. If it works where is the best place it on the bike?

One last question I would like to replace the plastic radiator grills. Do the cowel pieces come off the side fairing that cover the grills or does the faring need to be removed.

Thanks in advance Jim haas
You may find these videos helpful

Moving the GL1800 without power:
320X240
640X480
Picking up a Dropped GL1800 (with demo - ouch!):
320X240
640X480
Placing the GL1800 on the center stand:
320X240
640X480
Riding the GL1800 on gravel roads:
320X240
640X480
Discussion of Slow Speed Tight Turns:
320X240
640X480
Slow Speed Tight Turn Demos (may not be suitable for younger audiences):
320X240
640X480

·
Registered
135 Posts
My problem with the center stand at first is that when both feet touch the concrete the bike is leaning slightly to the right and I was on the left side. I was scared of having a 900 pound bike fall off to the right and not being able to control it. THe first couple of times you do it get someone to stand on the right side.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Just get a ride off stand and use the bike's reverse gear to use the centerstand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts