GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a few days ago this strange system, never heard before. I'm worried about noise coming from wheels, someone has experience with these balancers.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have read some people say they can hear the Balls rolling when first starting to move the bike...I use Dyna Beads...and do not hear anything at all

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have read some people say they can hear the Balls rolling when first starting to move the bike...I use Dyna Beads...and do not hear anything at all
I use beads also and have for 45,000 miles and like them. It would take me about 20 tire changes front and rear to break even if I bought Centramatics.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Noise normal below 18 mph. Don't worry, noise means they are working.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have them. I like them. But I did not notice any great change in the ride; but now don't have to concern myself with getting tires balanced.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Installed mine with a new set of tires last weekend. I removed the wheel weights, and I have the tire pressure sensors for the Doran air pressure monitor on the valve stems. Everything is nice and smooth. I know a lot of it is just having the new tires, but I have no vibrations, even at high speeds.

The noise is a non issue. The only time I hear it is when I'm moving the bike around in the garage and then only when I'm paying attention to it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The Centramatic wheel balancing systems have been on the bike now for 5 years.

No complaints and no noise issues.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have centramatics on front of trike and love them. Have beads in ST1300 and love them also; EXCEPT when a bead gets stuck in tire valve while checking pressure and lets all the air out! Also, they are a mess for the shop changing tires as they seem to fall out and roll everywhere. But, they do work well in the tires and my ST1300 is smooth as silk at any speed.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
They make noise at slow speed, but I don't even notice it. Once you get to normal riding speed you can't hear them. I really like mine.

·
Registered
401 Posts
just too expensive

They are just too expensive - wingstuff for ~$260 a set. Dyna Beads 5oz ~$13 - so the break even point is 20 tire changes. And that is if you use new beads each time. I have read where people reuse the beads.

So if you go through 2 sets of tires a year it's still 10 years to break even.
...gene

·
Registered
294 Posts
I thought real hard about the Dyna Beads before choosing the Centramatics. For me it came down to convenience and my own laziness. I installed them once and get to forget about them. The two things I didn't like about the Dyna Beads were the hassle of either reclaiming/reusing or adding new ones for each tire change. Also the reports I've read where you have to be careful they don't get stuck in the valve stem when checking tire pressure.
I've never used the Dyna Beads, so these might be non-issues in the real world. I've also have had the Centramatics less than a week on new tires, I'll have to see how they perform as the tires wear.

Just a peek into my selection process.

·
Registered
358 Posts
They are just too expensive - wingstuff for ~$260 a set. Dyna Beads 5oz ~$13 - so the break even point is 20 tire changes. And that is if you use new beads each time. I have read where people reuse the beads.

...gene
IMHO
If money was the only issue you would be correct.
However, I did not want to give Honda an opportunity to claim that I did something to cause the TPMS sensor to fail, again (3x). The system sucks and they know it.
Also, I wanted to make the modification "once", not at each tire change.
Finally, they seem to work. Immediate smoother ride, and no noticeable tire wear at 5k on current tires. BTW, I do push it in the curves.
"Value" is not something we will all agree on. Have you added ANY chrome or LEDs?

bbc

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought real hard about the Dyna Beads before choosing the Centramatics. For me it came down to convenience and my own laziness. I installed them once and get to forget about them. The two things I didn't like about the Dyna Beads were the hassle of either reclaiming/reusing or adding new ones for each tire change. Also the reports I've read where you have to be careful they don't get stuck in the valve stem when checking tire pressure.
I've never used the Dyna Beads, so these might be non-issues in the real world. I've also have had the Centramatics less than a week on new tires, I'll have to see how they perform as the tires wear.

Just a peek into my selection process.
Some folks worry about breaking even; since when is comfort and peace of mind about breaking even. Everyone buys other accessories like seats and there's no "breaking even" consideration. It's funny how we rationalize buying any of the products designed to make us more comfortable, provide better performance or just better entertainment. For myself, the valve stem leaking with the beads is equal to the strange looks of the centramatics; I haven't purchased either yet, still deciding...keep providing your observations please!

·
Registered
401 Posts
breaking even

When there are two alternatives I look at many factors, for me the clearest factor between two completely satisfactory technical solutions was the price. I am not inconvenienced by putting the beads in (as I change my own tires with GWRRA help). So for me, the balancers are too expensive.

While I have not exhaustively searched, to my knowledge Honda has never refused a TPMS claim stating the dyna beads were the cause of a failure. My honda dealer sells them with no warnings... Just say'n...

I do not have any "show" chrome. I do not see the need (but then, I am blacking out my bike :cool:). But as you can read on my list, I did spend alot of money on aftermarket stuff, and for me, so far, this is money well spent.

For me - too expensive. But obviously there is a market and a healthy one at that!
...gene

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
So there a little costly,what isn't concerning this sport? Put them on and enjoy the ride,well worth it.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
...gene
I used to go through a set of tires once every month and a half.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts