GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering one of these methods as it makes sense to me to basically balance the the tires dynamically each time you ride. Obviously Centramatics are more up-front cost. Is there a compelling reason for Centramatic over Dyna Beads? I'd like to hear from others personal experiences, good or bad.
_

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Ya as stated above . Can buy lot of beads for cost of them (centramatics) if dont ride alot and go thru tires beads be fine . All centramatics are is beads in a tube . Either way better than regular balance . They balance "all the time "

Reactions: WVMANDINGO

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can buy lot of beads for cost of them (centramatics)
This is what I was thinking, but didn't know if there was something I was missing and justified the higher price, other than pouring in the beads on each new set of tires.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I have tried both methods and highly prefer Centramatics .
Many folks have reported issues with beads getting caught in valve stem causing leak.
Centramatics are expensive but they are easy to remove and resell.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This is what I was thinking, but didn't know if there was something I was missing and justified the higher price, other than pouring in the beads on each new set of tires.
Yea, I've been using beads for 5 years now, go through a set of tires about each year. Looking at my last invoice, they charged me $1.00 for the beads under shop materials for my front tire.

That's alot of beads to equal the cost of centramatics!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
As cycledude said, I have had beads get into my valve stem. I even rotate the valve stem to the six O'clock to mitigate that from happening but, it still has. Just had to shoot with a little air to stop it. I also carry a small compressor in my saddlebag should that occur while traveling too.

Otherwise, I've had no issues and tires wear fairly even.

Greg
2004 GL1800

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Depends alot on how you ride...
If you're agressive in and out of the corners I'd say you'll dislike the added unsprung weight of the Centramatics. I've never run them but I understand they're fairly heavy.
I could feel the difference between Ride-On in my tires vs balance beads. Ride-On liquid balance and tire sealer added weight and made turning feel sluggish to me (8 oz. of Ride-On as opposed to 2 oz of beads). Couldn't wait to wear that set of tires out. Went back to balance beads and hustlin' through the twisties was jus' much quicker/lighter on turn in and recovery.
Now if your ridin' style is alittle more sedate you might be very happy with the Centramatics (I understand they do the job very well) but be prepared for a heavier feeling steering and slightly less agile ride right outta the gate. Jus' something to consider. Best of on your search:thumbup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Centramatics, like riding a roller coaster rail.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the beads sometimes work their way into the valve stem and cause a slow leak as you're riding - Then you shoot some air in to clear it? How often does that occur?
_

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Clean and expensive -vs- messy and cheap.

Both work.

I would personally use conventional wheel weights before I used the beads. Just me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clean and expensive -vs- messy and cheap.

Both work.

I would personally use conventional wheel weights before I used the beads. Just me.
Can you share your poor experience with the beads?
_

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I use both, Dyna beads in my VTX and Centramatics on my Goldwing. They both work and for me are preferable to weights. They balance the entire life of the tire. You can reuse the beads if you can recover them, they are more trouble to fool with but much cheaper. My preference is the Centramatics.

Reactions: Ozone1

·
Registered
934 Posts
Oldfatguy, it only happens when you check your tire pressure. When you're moving slow, they just lay in the low side of the tire, as the valve stem passes, a smaller bead finds it's way into the valve core hole. When you check the tire pressure, a little bit of air comes out and a bead tries too; jamming the core open. Quick shot of air, you're back in business!

Greg
2004 GL1800

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
These are all very good questions cause I, and I'm sure many others, also have these same questions that you are asking....

What is the cost of Centramatics ??
" " " " " beads??

I have always only had the weights to balance my wheels, BUT after reading these questions I just may change my decision, to use either or, on my next tire change...

I have a trike (Roadsmith) now , will this make any difference??

sorry to jump in on your post, asking questions, but I figured that if you were asking, I may as well jump in on the "bandwagon" and asked some myself... So if I evaded your post, I apologize ....

Ronnie

·
Registered
934 Posts
So the beads sometimes work their way into the valve stem and cause a slow leak as you're riding - Then you shoot some air in to clear it? How often does that occur?

_
I've had it happen twice in 5 years.

Greg
2004 GL1800

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
As the name implies, the beads are shaped like tiny marbles, and glass hard. In my experience, they did not cause slow leaks, but instant loss of all air, till flat, same as lodging a toothpick into the air valve. If you have an air hose handy, you simply blow some air into the valve stem to dislodge the tiny bead and the valve will snap closed again. But if you do not have an air hose hand, all you can doo is listen to the tire go flat. So if you run those beads, anytime you decide to manually check/add air pressure, be sure to have. source of pressured air nearby.

I am not convinced there is a need for beads, weights, or centramatics. I ran the last DriveGuard throughout its 23,000+ life without anything, and could not tell any difference from the prior tire, which had the beads. Ditto for the front tire (BT45). I do not plan to ever use anything to, "balance" the tires on this GW again. JMHO

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are all very good questions cause I, and I'm sure many others, also have these same questions that you are asking....

What is the cost of Centramatics ??
" " " " " beads??
No problem, all info and questions welcome. The List price for the Centramatics is $289.95 The Dyna beads are
$4.50 for 1 oz or $23.69 for 10 oz. Here is a chart that will tell you how many ounces you need based on tire size. Tire Chart Motorcycles

_

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 48 Posts