GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
The proper answere is yes. The real world one is no. I put mine on and didn't change them and have about 20,000 miles and three tire changes on mine.

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
164 Posts
Centramatics

i re-used the stock bolts and have had no issues with mine since installation about 6000 miles ago. They do work!!

Enjoy the ride and be safe.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I reuse them once and then toss them. Buy new ones from DLP when they have a sale to get them at a better price. Some riders use them over and over but they are soft metal and will break easily even with the low torque value that is applied to them.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Every time I swap front wheels, I swap the rotors. In the last three years I've probably reused rotor bolts 15-20 times then got new ones which I've reused probably 10 times.

I also don't used a torque wrench, just snug them up to what feels right.:shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I reuse my rotor as well. Service manual says to torque the rotor bolts at 14 ft-lb. I put my torque wrench on one and torqued until it broke...it took approx. 24 ft-lb. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
No. The recommendation to replace is to ensure there is the proper thread lock applied. I do not replace just clean the threadlock off with a die and reapply Honda Red threadlock (sparingly). Torque to 15lbf-ft per manual.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The proper answere is yes. The real world one is no. I put mine on and didn't change them and have about 20,000 miles and three tire changes on mine.
:agree:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,998 Posts
Have you ever broke one? Do you know somebody that torqued them
that has?

Thanks
I was on my third front tire when the rotor bolts started snapping when torqued to the factory spec. Luckly the snapped bolts came out with my fingers once I removed the rotors. If you remove your rotors when you change tires count on replacing the bolts at every other tire change....just my experience with the OEM rotor bolts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I was on my third front tire when the rotor bolts started snapping when torqued to the factory spec. Luckly the snapped bolts came out with my fingers once I removed the rotors. If you remove your rotors when you change tires count on replacing the bolts at every other tire change....just my experience with the OEM rotor bolts
You might want to check your torque wrench.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,998 Posts
You might want to check your torque wrench.
Nothing wrong with my torque wrench and I know how to use it.

Some may get more than three tire changes out of the rotor bolts, but just be warned....when in the middle of changing the front tire and a rotor bolts does snap, it sure does suck not being able to ride your bike for a week while the dealer orders you new rotor bolts.....that will never happen to me again :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
What am I missing?

Why are you removing the balancers every time you change tires? Am I missing something? I am about to put new tires on and am just curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Those bolts, brand new right out of the bag will snap at the recommended 15 ft. pound of torque.

The old ones are coated with thread lock from the factory , they are very soft metal and will not withstand a whole lot.

The honda shops will not have them in stock either. This happened to me when I put the Centramatics on my bike. I snapped off one of the old ones and went looking for some new ones.

I called several shops in the area and the closest one was a 60 mile run to Sumter.

So I went to Fastenal and got similar bolts with allen head sockets, and just a bit longer and stainless washers to even the load value of the head of the slightly smaller fastener and some thread lock and used those.

There is actually no need to torque those fasteners. Not if you use thread lock, just run them up snug and be done.

And what goes along with all things is a check of the bike once in awhile, from the front rotors to the tires to the rear lugs to a wobbly side stand.

Personally I think the torque value is too high for the size of the fasteners. I played with it a bit and up to 12 to 13 ft. pounds all is cool. From 15 to maybe a pound over they will snap. So if your torque wrench is just a bit off, you will snap one or two .

But no need to torque them anyway. Thread lock and snug is fine.

Just like the oil filter, run it on by hand, same deal.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,998 Posts
There is no need to remove the Rotor Discs to change tires. And if you take them to someone, and they suggest to do so, then go somewhere else.
Your right, the tires can be changed with the rotors on the wheels....but all it takes is for the guy to lay the wheel against the wall and then the wheel fall over somehow and the rotor is bent.... it's just to easy for the rotor to get bent if someone is sloppy. I would rather just not take that chance....so I remove my rotors when having my tire changed.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Your right, the tires can be changed with the rotors on the wheels....but all it takes is for the guy to lay the wheel against the wall and then the wheel fall over somehow and the rotor is bent.... it's just to easy for the rotor to get bent if someone is sloppy. I would rather just not take that chance....so I remove my rotors when having my tire changed.
No , leaning the wheel against the rotor will not hurt it. The wheel falling over will not hurt the rotor. It is more solid and substantial than that.

What happens is the tire guy will bend the rotor while removing or installing the tire. They bend the rotor by using it as a lever with a tire iron.

That is how that one happens.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,998 Posts
No , leaning the wheel against the rotor will not hurt it. The wheel falling over will not hurt the rotor. It is more solid and substantial than that.

What happens is the tire guy will bend the rotor while removing or installing the tire. They bend the rotor by using it as a lever with a tire iron.

That is how that one happens.
Yea, that too. :p

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Kit, don't drop that rotor fitted wheel! The rotor itself if plenty tough, but that soft aluminum "cage" or "crown" that supports it bends very easily.

On a manual tire changer, even breaking the bead puts the rotor supports at risk. Using tire spoons or spoon bars is gonna risk bending them too. Best to just remove the six little bolts; no biggie.

prs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts