GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have Centramatics Balancers on do I take off my weights that are already on the wheel or leave them on? I have a 2012 Gold Wing.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
You take the static weights off. The Centramatics are dynamic balancers, they constantly adjust and take care of any out of balance due to uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mfg says take them off. I have tried it both ways and it makes no difference. Seems to me if you leave them on, it takes less help from the Centramatics to keep your wheel balanced but as I said. It does not seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Mfg says take them off. I have tried it both ways and it makes no difference. Seems to me if you leave them on, it takes less help from the Centramatics to keep your wheel balanced but as I said. It does not seem to make any difference.

I guess that means the balancers work!!!!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Left mine on. Balancers seem to be working fine.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
:agree: My front tire took 1/10 oz to balance & I just left that on when I added the centramatics no ill effect.

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
This is my reasoning also:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
What is the point of the balancers then? I know you needed to buy something even if you really didn't know what is was for.
You still interested in tha ocean front property in Ks!
Marketing is a great tool!

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
What is the point of the balancers then? I know you needed to buy something even if you really didn't know what is was for.
You still interested in tha ocean front property in Ks!
Marketing is a great tool!
A tire can be balanced with lead weights. As it wears down it becomes unbalanced. CENTRAMATIC balances the tire on every revolution so your tire is always balanced

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
No weights are required, remove them if you have them. Your wheels will look better!

I'm waiting to hear a report from someone trying to static balance their front wheel with Centramatic's installed and wondering why the point of imbalance keeps moving... ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Take off the weights... the Centramatic units really DO work. I've had mine on for the last 40K miles and love them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just my observation. I don’t have centramatics but have just used the dynabeads for the first time. They work on the same principle so the OP question may apply to both systems.

When I first get moving, my tires "FEEL" out-of-round. That is, they feel like there is a bulge somewhere on the tire. Almost like driving a car that has been sitting for a long time. The tires will flat-spot and give a bumpy ride for a few miles. It does take some amount of speed and time for the beads to balance out the tire, so the bumpy feeling I am getting may be normal. Once I get up to speed the dynabeads balance the tires very well.

SO, the question comes to mind. If you were decide to use balance weights AND dynabeads ( or Centramatics ), would the weights help or hurt the dynamic balance system? Things that make you say HUMMM?

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
A tire can be balanced with lead weights. As it wears down it becomes unbalanced. CENTRAMATIC balances the tire on every revolution so your tire is always balanced
Have you really noticed that happening on the Wing? When I change tires on the Wing or VTX, after washing the wheel/tire assembly and before demounting the tire, I place the old tire assembly on the balance stand. They have always been very close to balance even though I had never rebalanced them since the initial install. If the tire had collected a plug, then that will be the slightly heavy spot. Even rear tires showing cords have been in balance at the end. I admit it is a relatively small sample, but I have gone through a pretty good bunch of tires. The only three times I did not do that was when RideOn was in the tires of the X and Wing, and when I tried dyna beads in the Wing.

Still, one of touted advantages of the Centramatics is getting rid of teh unsightly lead weights, so why leave them? Although, the OE type weights are hardly notiiable, esp on the rear.

prs

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I balance mine with lead and run Centramatics. I run TMPS transducers on the valve stems (in conjunction with the OEM stuff) which starts me off out of balance. Like the above comment, the closer to balance I start, the less dependent I am on the dynamic balancers. Before balancing and running Centramatics, I just used the Centramatics alone. With a particular set of tires, I have a bad vibration above 90mph. Not that I always want to run 90, it was an indicator that something was not right. Went back and static balanced and re-installed the Centramatics and no more bad vibe. That's all I need to know.

I think the dynamic balancers hone in the balance of the static balance as compared to a static balance alone. A static balance is better than nothing but not by a long shot. If I had a proper spin-balancer, I might re-think the whole thing....but I don't.

I think the Centramatics are especially good for the home mechanic to get a reasonably good balance without benefit of related equipment or tools. I run them on all my Wings.

Z

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Z,

I assume you plan on removing the Centramatics off your front wheel for your next tire change so you can perform a Static balance, then reinstall the Centramatics?

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Paul, many of us remove the brake disks at front anyway; wouldn't that be simialr to setting the centramatic thing-a-ma-hickey aside? Same bolts, right?

prs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts