GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFter reading and reading, and talking to a few people locally that have them, I got the Centramatic balancers today.

Within the first few hundred feet I knew they were working. We took off all the old wheel weights (a bunch on the back wheel), and I rode a path I was very familiar with at speeds from zero through some low speed stuff up to 80 on the interstate.

Never felt the bike so smooth. Best money I have spent on this bike so far.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
The're well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Price? They will be worth what i paid for them in the future, won't wear out. Can put them on any other GL1800, but if they keep me from having to trade this bike and save me thousands that way, what I paid for them is a bargain.

Wgreen, do you have them? If not, you just don't know what their worth could possibly be. In all my research on this site and others, I can't recall anyone putting them down that actually had them. I know that there is a thing that makes people that buy stuff like it because they don't want to admit they wasted their money, but unlike tin can propellers in a cars intake tube, and magnets on gas lines, and magic spark plugs, or overhaul in a can, these things made an immediate difference I could really feel. Can't wait to get the bike back out again this afternoon if it doesn't rain!

·
Registered
616 Posts
AFter reading and reading, and talking to a few people locally that have them, I got the Centramatic balancers today.

Within the first few hundred feet I knew they were working. We took off all the old wheel weights (a bunch on the back wheel), and I rode a path I was very familiar with at speeds from zero through some low speed stuff up to 80 on the interstate.

Never felt the bike so smooth. Best money I have spent on this bike so far.
They are great you can feel how smooth they are if you have highway bars. Another great thing is I can get my tires mounted for $10.00 each at a local tire store since I don't have to balance them.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
What I like about them is that on my Wing I get the BUZZZ in the handle bars once the tires are 3-4k old. I put them on tires that had about 8k on them and they mellowed out that BUZZ considerably. Can't wait to try them on new tires.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My question is, if your tires are pefectly balanced with weights then what advantage do these provide. Sounds like snake oil to me.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
M/C tires are like car tires. Car tires have to be rebalanced every 5,000 to get better life out of them. As they wear, the balance changes. M/C would need that even more often but doing that is expensive.

Also, not always but often enough, when you mount a new tire and mark the rim and tire, within 1,000 miles you may see those marks no longer line up as the tire finds where it really wants to seat. That throws that balance off too. Not sure it that happens a lot on m/c tires but it does on car tires. Tires should be mounted with a tire lube which not only makes they slippery to help with mounting but also once dries helps adhear the tire to the rim to keep the tire from shifting.

Centramatic compensates for all that and is constantly adjusting the balance as needed. It is more of a dynamic balance vs a static balance.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
My question is, if your tires are pefectly balanced with weights then what advantage do these provide. Sounds like snake oil to me.
Hehe! We get lots of those comments until you try a bike with them on! Then you'll be the first to go buy a set! No, they are not cheap, but good things usually aren't! But believe us when we tell you . . . they are AMAZING!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Speaking of not cheap, what do they cost?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I doubt you could live long enough to wear those Centramatics out on your 'Wing. I know of a few cases where they've been on 18 wheelers with over 900,000 miles and still working just as they did when first installed. But, it sure would be a nice challenge if I had enough time and money to try to wear a set out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for why they work better than just weights on the rim.

1. Tires are not static things. They are made of layer upon layer of materials. As they flex and wear, they change inside, stuff moves around, however slight. Every heard of a bad belt? Just stuff moving around. A balancer like the Centramatic will always and constantly adjust for that.

2. Did you add a TPMS sensor to the valve stem? Like I did? They didn't balance the tire with that on and that weighs about 1/2 an ounce or maybe a little more. That is now adjusted for.

3. These things even adjust for some problems with the road you are riding on. Ever felt recurring vibrations in a highway? From concrete being leveled badly, but consistently...or blacktop being rolled out and it develops waves, or old blacktop that gets waves from traffic, braking areas etc. If these balancers can adjust for out of balance on a wheel, they will also try to smooth out recurring motion in the tire created by the highway. In my first ride, I went over an infamous area with lots of little waves. Felt it much less.

4. Ever thrown a weight off? Would you really know it or just put up with the slight bit of extra vibration till the next tire change? Stick on weights can and do fall off with regularity. Weights that hammer on like on most cars also come off all the time. The Centramatic disks aren't likely to fall off.

Just a few reasons why these are better than wheel weights.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
As for why they work better than just weights on the rim.

1. Tires are not static things. They are made of layer upon layer of materials. As they flex and wear, they change inside, stuff moves around, however slight. Every heard of a bad belt? Just stuff moving around. A balancer like the Centramatic will always and constantly adjust for that.

2. Did you add a TPMS sensor to the valve stem? Like I did? They didn't balance the tire with that on and that weighs about 1/2 an ounce or maybe a little more. That is now adjusted for.

3. These things even adjust for some problems with the road you are riding on. Ever felt recurring vibrations in a highway? From concrete being leveled badly, but consistently...or blacktop being rolled out and it develops waves, or old blacktop that gets waves from traffic, braking areas etc. If these balancers can adjust for out of balance on a wheel, they will also try to smooth out recurring motion in the tire created by the highway. In my first ride, I went over an infamous area with lots of little waves. Felt it much less.

4. Ever thrown a weight off? Would you really know it or just put up with the slight bit of extra vibration till the next tire change? Stick on weights can and do fall off with regularity. Weights that hammer on like on most cars also come off all the time. The Centramatic disks aren't likely to fall off.

Just a few reasons why these are better than wheel weights.
Don't the 4.00 bag of beads do the same thing as all of the above..

·
Banned
1,128 Posts

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
NOPE!! Not even close . . . .!
The beads on the inside of a tire are intended to work the same way other then they don't have a smooth surface to roll around on ... the Centramatics have a well designed steel ring. Semi's and city buses have been using a similar balancing ring for years. This is nothing new .... just new for GL1800s and worth the money.

In my opionion, there are only 3 products available that mecahically make a Wing better. Tapered steering head bearing, Centramatics, and for the one's that ghost shift, undercut gears. Everything else someone does to a Wing is personal preferance (comfort, bling, lighting, chrome ... etc). Just do the first 2 on every Wing ... if you have a ghost shifter, give me a call of send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
noeyes, I think the balancing beads can do a decent job, in fact I tried them for a while on my previous set of tires. All I can say when I put them on is that the balance still seemed as good as before, didn't really change the ride much if any. I left the old weights on at that time, but this time with the Centramatics, I did remove the weights, and I felt a well defined (to my hands, feet, butt) improvement in smoothness.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts