GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start using beads to balance my tires. According to chart I found on-line:
Front tire – 2oz
Rear tire – 3 oz
Is that correct?

Also – do the Filtered Valve Cores (the ones with a screen to prevent beads from clogging the valve) work?
What size valves should I get.
And is this the type of valve core I want?

Any other advice regarding beads would be appreciated (how to get them in tire, etc.)

·
Registered
16,487 Posts
The valve stem size on our tire is the common passenger car size. I never had a problem with core clogs when I experimened with beads, but I came to the conclusion that static balance worked better, YMMV. I may be too cautious, but I am not going to use beads in rims with TPMS sensors. The sensors are too expensive to risk.

prs

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Next time you have a chance to look at a m.c. tire that is not mounted on a rim, look at the inside of the tire you will see ribs that run diagonally across the tire. Bead manufactures have told me that in some or most cases the beads get hung up on this ribs and create a false balance.
It happened to me and that is the research that I came up with.

Greg

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for your inputs, think you have convinced me to not use beads.
Another question - I noticed today (first time looked in 7500 miles, my bad!) that the stick on wheel weight that was used to initially balance the tire is gone. All that remains is a small piece of tape.

Can we use clamp on weights instead of stick on weights on the 2018 Goldwing rims?

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I tried some ceramic beads in a new set of tires once after reading about them for years on this forum...I guess they balance the wheel because my bike rode very smooth with the beads...but no smoother than a spin balance and stick on weights...also I found no increase in tire life using the beads like some have claimed over the years.
I think that if you mount your own tires the beads might make sense..if you have chrome wheels and dont want stick on weights on your chrome wheels beads are a option..but if you take your stock wheel to the dealer and let them mount your tire using their machines then you are already paying for the wheel/tire to be spun balanced with stick on weights...beads are just a unnecessary extra expense. Im glad I tried the beads to see for myself if they are better than old fashion stick on weights...now I know they aren't for my bike.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've run beads in two wings w/o ANY issue. My '06 during the first tire change then again for my '12 at the first tire change. NO ISSUES...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Consider Centramatic Balancers. I’ve used them on other bikes with great success. Will be putting them on my Wing at the next tire change.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
I have used the BEADS before and IMHO they do nothing. I agree with several posts above that other than weight balancing CENTRAMATICS is a system that works

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to start using beads to balance my tires. According to chart I found on-line:
Front tire – 2oz
Rear tire – 3 oz
Is that correct?
Thanks for all your inputs. Have decided NOT to use beads, ordered CENTRAMATICS balancers, installing them tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I mount my own tires. I've been using Dynabeads in my tires without any issues. My bike is an '06 and I have tire pressure sensors mounted in the rims. When checking tire pressures I give the valve a short blast of air to blow back into the tire any bead that may be near the valve stem seat.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had used ceramic beads without any problems however it was pointed out that tire warranty could be voided by adding anything to the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Contrary to your offensive remark, here is what the warranty from Dunlop states -

Specifically, "Tires injected with dry/liquid balancers or sealants, or in which anything other than air has been used as the supporting medium."

Other manufacturers also state they do not cover tires with internal balancing -

Perhaps you own or work for a tire manufacturer, and you know differently, but the way I read it, if you require warranty service and a dealership service department does not want to submit a warranty claim you may have a problem getting warranty especially if you are out of town. Two dealers I have purchased tires from warned me not to use the beads when I asked about purchasing tire and beads - I was warned that they would not submit for warranty if there became an issue with tire (even if it wasn't caused by beads). I believed them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I edited the post, and removed the 'bad line'
still, my local tire guy across the street from me, warrantied a tire 2 weeks ago, that had the sidewall ripped out.
my daughter is a Rural mail carrier, and caught the right front tire on a fresh, new brick tile at the base of a new mailbox.... cut thru it like a knife.

hated that, because I had to buy 2 new tires, not just the one that received the Road Hazard warranty of 50% .... front wheel drive car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have used beads for at least the last 15 years is all sorts of bikes and never had a problem with them and have even had wheels checked on a motorcycle specific balancer and yes they work. I fit all my own tyres and have NEVER put the beads down the valve stem ! Just wrap them in a small piece of cling wrap and place in side the tyre and fit the top bead job done. When it's time to change a tyre again take the tyre off scoop out the beads with the top off a spray tip then in the new tyre and fit it job done SIMPLE :) :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have almost 150K using Dyna beads, and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am not equipped to mount my own tires. I use beads because I don’t believe the dealership balances them. My tires always have the same amount of weights when I pick up as when I drop off. Seems like once in a while they would need an different amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts