GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When installing the Dyna Beads (Ceramic Balancing Beads )on a 2018+ Gold Wing. I know you remove the valve stem & air the tire up . My question is do you also have to screw with the programming of the TPMS. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
When installing the beads you remove the valve stem to let all the air out of the tire. Only then can you install the beads into the tire through the valve stem. I use a short length of clear, vinyl tubing of a diameter size that fits snug over the threads of the valve stem. Deposit some beads into the tubing and give it a quick, short blast of pressurized air. The beads will disappear into the tire. Repeat. It takes me approx. 5 minutes to get 3 ounces of Dynabeads into the rear tire. I have aftermarket TPMS sensors mounted in place of the stock valve stem. The pressure sensor is actually inside the rim. It is a common design. The ceramic beads pass right through the pressure sensor. The beads work well.

Reactions: Crookster

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dynabeads front and rear of my r1200r, works way better than traditional weights and install was simple (similar to above).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Harbor Freight dynamic tire balancer works wonders, set for life.
I can't find it... have a link? (or were you being facetious and it just went over my head?)

·
Registered
218 Posts
No link sorry , I’m on my phone so can’t post a link but search Harbor Freight Tools and then in the stores search box type wheel balancer. I did it and found it for approx $45 . The balancer works well. Simple but effective. It’s a black stand with an axel that spins on a couple bearings. I have been using this one for 10 yrs or more and balanced hundreds of tires. Tip: I tape over my weights so it insures they do not fall off no matter what.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No link sorry , I’m on my phone so can’t post a link but search Harbor Freight Tools and then in the stores search box type wheel balancer. I did it and found it for approx $45 . The balancer works well. Simple but effective. It’s a black stand with an axel that spins on a couple bearings. I have been using this one for 10 yrs or more and balanced hundreds of tires. Tip: I tape over my weights so it insures they do not fall off no matter what.
How do you balance the rear wheel with this?

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking for someone who has actually installed on a 2018+results--opinions

·
Registered
145 Posts
Gotcha - I had the Marc Parnes version years ago.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How do you balance the rear wheel with this?
Mount wheel on balancer. Slowly spin wheel and the heavy part of tire/wheel will fall and stay down. Mark the light side of tire and add appropriate weights. Spin wheel slowly again to check balance point. If the wheel does not land with a heavy side down at a particular point. Wheel is balanced. Wheel balance tested up to 160 mph. That's all the faster I have been on track with my Zx10r. Good luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Mount wheel on balancer. Slowly spin wheel and the heavy part of tire/wheel will fall and stay down. Mark the light side of tire and add appropriate weights. Spin wheel slowly again to check balance point. If the wheel does not land with a heavy side down at a particular point. Wheel is balanced. Wheel balance tested up to 160 mph. That's all the faster I have been on track with my Zx10r. Good luck.
OK. But the rear wheel doesn’t have bearings for the balancer shaft to pilot onto. I haven’t had my wheels off yet, is there a machined bore through the wheel to pilot onto?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes. The rear wheel has a hole in the middle like any other wheel. The balancer has a shaft and two conical pieces that butt up to the hole in the wheel . It holds the wheel securely and the shafts spins on the bearings attached to the wheel balancer stand. Look up the balancer and you will see how it works.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When installing the Dyna Beads (Ceramic Balancing Beads )on a 2018+ Gold Wing. I know you remove the valve stem & air the tire up . My question is do you also have to screw with the programming of the TPMS. Thanks!

LAEN if your wheel is off the bike
IE when you are installing new tires .
Inflate and pop the tire onto the rim
Release all the air and press one side of the tire off the rim.
Lie the rim down and add the beads between the rim and tire
inflate the tire .
Trust me it takes longer to explain the process than to actually do the job .

fit wheel on to the bike

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Many of those low priced balancers commonly have axels and/or the cones not 100% machined straight and true and will give bad results. Marc Parnes sells a nice quality balancer and is a member and rider here on the forum.
I know the question was about beads,. No interest in beads here, but to balance your wheels if you do prefer weights, just saying spend the extra few dollars for better quality.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I generally only see references to Dyna beads on the forum. I have always used Counteract beads and have been very satisfied with the results. The only tires I ever saw cupping on, were the factory installed set on my 2012, which had balance weights. Since then I have always used the Counteracts and have never seen any more cupping issues. Counteract guarantees that their beads will not damage TPMS sensors. When I was researching the different beads being offered, I saw several videos showing abrasion to the inner tire when using Dyna, that was not present with the Counteract. I have looked at the inside of the tires being removed from my rims and have not observed any abrasion. The Counteract claims that they stay distributed by static charge rather then all falling to the bottom when you stop. I have no way to determine if that is true or not.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have installed beads once on 2018 and multiple times on previous model Wings. Didn't believe they were ever a problem but was advised that tire manufacturers don't want anything besides air on the inside of their tires and believe it voids warranty when you use them.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Cupping is a function of tire design, and the way you ride. Although many claim cupping is eliminated with beads, well I call BS. I've walked over 15,000 miles the last 10yrs, and my shoes cup every time. Do they make beads to balance shoes as well? Some tires cup, some not so much, some barely. All depends on what rubber used in design and tread pattern.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have had tires cupped with beads and tires the didn't - I have no explanation except perhaps low tire pressure at times???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts