GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tired of having to clean black brake dust every time I ride, I was told to install ceramic brakes.

My questions are as follows:

Will ceramic brakes perform as well as the OEM?

Will ceramic really cut down on brake dust?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Ceramic should cut down the dust. Tungsten Carbide should cut it down even further. To stop it completely, drain out the brake fluid.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,186 Posts
Ceramic ones on my wife's car are great. It stops better and there's little to no dust on the wheels. I'm not sure if anyone is making ceramic for the 1800 yet. :?

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I looked a couple years back and no one really makes ceramic pads for street bikes. Most of the ones I found were made for racing applications. I seem to recall that they had problems with them working good when cold, and they had to get up to temperature before they worked right.

SBS and some others do have a few ceramic pads for some sport bikes, and some pads that contain mix of ceramic with other components. I also seem to recall someone telling me that you needed a special rotor designed to work in conjunction with ceramic pads, though it has been a while since I looked into this, and my memory ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Will it not eventually cause the rotor to warp?
Something to do with heat?
This of couse would only apply to those peg grinding riders who do alot of agressive riding. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sintered Metal pads will wear the stock Honda rotors 50-75% faster than Honda pads. the more metal in the pad, the greater the wear. I know this from being in the automotive brake business for many years. An honest Sintered Pad Mfg. will tell you not to use them unless they were used as original equipment or use recommended rotors.

I have no experence with Ceramic on a motorcycle, but Nascar requires rotors that can handle extreme heat,(special material, added thickness, modified cooling vents, high pressure cylinders) I doubt the Honda rotors can take the heat without warping. I doubt the stock system has enough PSI to make them effective.
A little brake dust cleaning beats replacing the rotors......

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
My Avalanche takes ceremics. They are extra dusty. Odd how you would get two opposite answers, but my AV always requires extra cleaning the front wheels.... might have something to do with 4WD.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What you are seeing on the AV is CAST IRON dust, not brake material, check it with a magnet......The rotors wear out, not the pads. My GMC has the same setup, at 75000 Mi they told me I needed new rotors, pads are fine!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
blento said:
What you are seeing on the AV is CAST IRON dust, not brake material, check it with a magnet......The rotors wear out, not the pads.
Indeed, caused by the ceramic pads. Dust is dust. Maybe I was not clear enough.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,186 Posts
The ceramics on the wife's car are 100% ceramic and not mixed with anything else. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, I just know the wheels are cleaner than ever and the thing will stop with much less brake pedal pressure. They have been on there for a year and about 12,000 miles. :)

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
blento said:
Sintered Metal pads will wear the stock Honda rotors 50-75% faster than Honda pads. the more metal in the pad, the greater the wear.
I believe the stock Honda pads have a significant amount of sintered metal content, though they do appear to be mixed with some carbon as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts