GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Goldwing with Champion kit. Champion unlinks the front and back braking system. I viewed Fred's DVD on how to bleed the front system. However, the back brake pedal is used to bleed the anti dive and one on the bleeders on the right front and one of the bleeders on the left front. But since the front is no longer connected to the back, how do you bleed the anti-dive and those bleeders on front? Or do you just ignore. Champion has no suggestions.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well lets see, you actually have more brake pistons working after the modification than with stock original. So you want to vacuum bleed all the bleed ports on both calipers starting with the bottom and working to the top.

The anti-dive unless there has been a suspension mod done has a hose looped from it also and is basically functional theoretically . Whether it works with a rake kit, I dunno, but does not hurt to keep it clean . This most likely varies brand to brand in how they handle that. Even if disabled does not hurt to keep it clean and any air out of it.

So on the front bleed them all, clean all the grime and grit out and make sure the body of the calipers are free of air.

Naturally the rear is now on both sides, so again you simple pull a vacuum bleed on everything you can find.

Use a good closed end wrench on those rear automotive bleed fittings, some of them are in there amazingly tight. Snug will do when you secure them, no need to use the gorilla fist.

Oh, if you do not have a vacuum bleed that is cool, just use the front lever on them all. Do not worry about the rear for the front as it is re-plumbed and the rear pedal no longer has any function to the front. And also again use the rear pedal for the rear.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kit....I'll probably give her a go today. I have the mity-vac and will use that in conjunction with manual bleed.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thanks Kit....I'll probably give her a go today. I have the mity-vac and will use that in conjunction with manual bleed.
The mighty mite......Lol! Well a few tips for the mighty mite, you see that little plastic waste container is very light and so easy to turn over, just the tension in the hose will cause it to act stupid. If it does turn upside down and get sideways the pulled fluid will get up into the vacuum pump assembly and make a mess. When I used to fuss with the mighty mite I went to Lowes and got some tubing, the clear plastic kind and lenghtened the tubing some and would set the waste container of the mighty mite in a jar or something to keep it from turning over and or upside down.

Yes that mighty mite used to give me a fit sometimes. And like everyone I sought to improve it and made a larger waste container for it, and then moved on and now use a pressure bleeder.

So secure the waste container or it will cause great frustration.

Oh wrap the front master in a towel, put an old blanket or something on the shelter, that brake fluid is mean on paint. And anything else it gets on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mighty mite......Lol! Well a few tips for the mighty mite, you see that little plastic waste container is very light and so easy to turn over, just the tension in the hose will cause it to act stupid. If it does turn upside down and get sideways the pulled fluid will get up into the vacuum pump assembly and make a mess. When I used to fuss with the mighty mite I went to Lowes and got some tubing, the clear plastic kind and lenghtened the tubing some and would set the waste container of the mighty mite in a jar or something to keep it from turning over and or upside down.

Yes that mighty mite used to give me a fit sometimes. And like everyone I sought to improve it and made a larger waste container for it, and then moved on and now use a pressure bleeder.

So secure the waste container or it will cause great frustration.

Oh wrap the front master in a towel, put an old blanket or something on the shelter, that brake fluid is mean on paint. And anything else it gets on.
LOL from me as well. I just made a base for the container from a piece of 2x6. I used a hole saw drill for the diameter of the base--chiseled out the center. And bought a longer hose. Great minds think alike.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:eek:4::eek:4::eek:4: UGH, the dreaded Mity-Vac. I used one of those once to bleed the breaks on the Trike and I squeezed that thing for hours to get it done. I can not tell you how completely terrified I was to use the restroom after all that squeezing. It did not take me long to get the Bike Master Vacuum Brake Fluid Bleeder for just a few bucks more and now it takes a few minutes and you can do the job by yourself AND no longer be in fear.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek:4::eek:4::eek:4: UGH, the dreaded Mity-Vac. I used one of those once to bleed the breaks on the Trike and I squeezed that thing for hours to get it done. I can not tell you how completely terrified I was to use the restroom after all that squeezing. It did not take me long to get the Bike Master Vacuum Brake Fluid Bleeder for just a few bucks more and now it takes a few minutes and you can do the job by yourself AND no longer be in fear.
So, Mr. Wheels, you are going to make me spend more money on my addiction, err, hobby.
The Bike Master is that much better? I will have to check that out. Is Bike Master the one that uses an air compressor. And what kind of job does it do on the rear brake? Do you still have to pump the pedal? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts