GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I converted my Honda to a trike I had Kuryackan risers on it. They had to take them off during the conversion and said they could not put them back because they interfered with the steering. I was able to put another set of risers on, but they really are not back enough for me. Does anyone know of a brand of risers that are compatible with the Champion easy steer and actually move the handlebars back a good distance? Thank you. Shelley

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb here, and quite sure that I will be corrected, but "POPPY ****" !

As I understand it, the geometry of the triple tree is changed at the shaft and lower section, and the top piece is relatively the same, except made of aluminum. I had MBL Wide, risers on mine when I decided to add the easy steer to the Trike. There was no problem at all with reinstalling them back on to the Easy Steer. I did however later replace them with the MBL Narrow set of risers, that bring the bars back about 1.5 inch. Again no problem at all with the instillation or the handling. I would think that if you were comfortable with the way the Kurry Risers felt, to reinstall them, and test them out for your self. As for as them interfering with the steering I did notice that at the stop, right or left the base of the bars did touch the bottom of the instrument cluster just slightly. That didn't bother me all that much because it is really rare that I do dough nuts from stop to stop and certainly not over 5 MPH. While I had the Trike apart in the past two weeks I took care of that by placing a 1/2 inch or so ( I didn't make a precise measurement ) of Simi ridged foam about 3 to 4 inches long in-between the cluster and the cross bar. That raised the cluster just about 1/16 inch, and there is no more hitting at the stops, and the dash piece fit back without any problem.

The bottom line is that I think the top piece of the Easy Steer is so close to the original position of the Honda top piece that there isn't any reason that one couldn't use any set of risers that they would want to use. Even though I have a Motor Trike I had my installer do the ordering of the Rake kit and it was labeled "E-Z Steer"

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Holly has risers on her Champion trike with a rake kit. They do NOT interfer with steering at all. I would listen to what KJ5IX said and give it a try.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For some strange reason I have discovered that many trike convertors are full of poppy-**** over some things. Any one got any insights to this phenomonen?
Mike

·
Registered
757 Posts
Shelley..A friend of mine just bought a 03 GL 1800, ( not triked ) and the seller gave him a set of MBL Risers. Their the ones that;
Raise the H/B 3/4" from stock.
Moves back 1 & 1/2"
Span in 2 & 1/4"
They look N.I.B. with direction & all parts.
The invoice shows
$69.95. ( may be cheaper by now ) 1/2 of this retail will get them to your door.
If Shelley doesn't want them, the offer is open to anyone......E.E.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone for your input. I have an appointment on Tuesday to add a trunk rack and while there I will discuss with the mechanic your thoughts. I would like to put back on the Kuryackan's because they put the bars in the best location for me, so based on KJ51X's comments I will talk to the mechanic about putting them back on. Thank you for the offer of the risers, but I want to see what happens on Tuesday. Again, THANKS TO EVERYONE for you help. Shelley

I

·
0 Posts
Shelley said:
Before I converted my Honda to a trike I had Kuryackan risers on it. They had to take them off during the conversion and said they could not put them back because they interfered with the steering. I was able to put another set of risers on, but they really are not back enough for me. Does anyone know of a brand of risers that are compatible with the Champion easy steer and actually move the handlebars back a good distance? Thank you. Shelley
I am somewhat late to this party (discussion), but the EZ steer conversion does NOT change bar position one iota. Hence any handlebar riser that works on a stock 1800, will work with your Champion with EZ Steer.

Whoever told you there was interference needs to evaluate whatever they are smoking. Or maybe just get their head out of their a**. :roll:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
triketrader said:
Put a set of Kuryakyn Risers on a Champion trike today. No problems.
Sounds like Richard's trike. Anyway, he and his wife Judy are both very happy campers. All three of us went on a 100 mile spin, on Judy's first trike ride, Judy was so relaxed she nearly fell asleep back there.

I'll be calling you, Doug, for that CB install appointment.

Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts