GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No offence meant to anyone out here, the following is the opinions and consensus of three different GL1800 riders taken today.

Back in late November 2006 while killing time, I test road a Champion trike at Sumter Honda in Sumter SC where a riding buddy of ours got a great deal on a 2007 Wing.

The test ride on the Champion trike left a bad impression on trikes in my mind. I found the ride/steering too finicky, and the rear suspension felt as if it came off a buck-board.

Fast forward to today 11 Jan '07 in Inverness FL at "Trikes by Tony". Another one of our riding buddies is considering triking his '05 Wing. The three of us test road the Champion Trike and the CSC (California Side Car) Trike. The unanimous consensus was that the two trikes were as different as night and day.

First up was the 2005? Champion trike, personally to me, it felt no better than what I experienced in Sumter SC on the 2007 Champion trike. With the exception that I was able to ride this one at over 50 mph. This trike felt dangerous to me, especially on curves, in no way would I feel confident on this trike at our highway speed limit of 70 mph. I know some of you praise this company, however, all I can say is that you owe it to yourself and your S.O. to test ride side by side a CSC trike. I ran over a pinecone with the rear wheel in the parking lot that jolted the Champion trike to the point I felt this was an unsafe vehicle to operate on public roads.

Next up was a 2006 CSC trike, on the same test course to include riding over another pinecone. The difference between the two trikes were as night and day. The CSC with its independent rear suspension felt far more becoming of a Gold Wing. The ride between the two was like comparing the ride between a pre 1950 Ford pick up truck (Champion) and a modern day luxury SUV (CSC). I had to ride over two different pinecones just because I felt I missed one the first time (I didn't). The CSC absorbed all the same bumps and dips that the Champion went through, without feeling like it would throw my 230# body off the trike. The CSC gave me confidence in the curves that were lacking in the Champion. I would trust the CSC on our highways.

I'm not interested in purchasing any trike at this time, so I have no bias one way or the other. Flame if you wish, But I'll only be interested in the comments from those that have test road both trikes side by side. Though the price difference between the two can be over $1K when equip equally, Champion being less costly. This is no time to step over dollars to pick up cents.

I look forward to test riding a Hannigan trike in the near future. We want our riding buddy to have the safest yet most comfortable trike out there, the CSC trike has just upped the bar. Possibly after he gets one, we may be next sometime later.

Personal riding history: 23 motorcycles owned, 3rd Gold Wing, over 1M motorcycle miles in 40 years of riding.

Champion Trike

CSC Trike

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I will say this, you are telling it like it is in your opinion. It is good to get all the input we can get on different trikes from folks with different views. Read the Motor Trike Brake Upgrade for other opinions on MT. I have not ridden either trike, but appreciate your candidness.

George....

ps: put on your fireman's hat and coat...ha ha :D

S

·
0 Posts
This is not and I repeat not intended to Flame anybody just insert my point of view. I can comment to some of your test. I did ride both the CSC and the Champion trikes. I picked the Champion because the dealer was very close to me and the CSC dealer was over 100 miles away. Now besides that part the CSC does have a little better ride. I say little comparing that to your comment about the Champion being dangerous. At slow speed yes you do feel more of the road but by no way is this trike dangerous at highway speeds or any other speed. I have lots of high speed miles with not one feeling of danger. One thing that will make a big difference is if the trike was setup properly. On side roads the trike sticks like glue. So for you to say it's dangerous I think you need to check out other dealers. There will never be any dispute that an indepentent setup has a softer ride than solid but no way is it or should it feel as dangerous as you indicated on your test. One thing that you should check is the rear tire pressure, if it's too high it will ride way to hard.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also have test driven both a Champion and a CSC recently and came to the same conclusion. I purposely road over some really rough roads to test how well they could absorb the bumps. My wife has had hip surgery and excessive rough riding makes it tough for her to enjoy the ride. What I found was the rear suspension on the CSC felt very similar to our Chrysler Pacifica with independent suspension. Very nice! What I found with the Champion was it continually jolted me from side to side.
The Champion has some very good qualities, but when it comes to providing a smoother ride the CSC has my vote. I liked it so well I'm having Hatfield’s build me one using my 2004 Goldwing.
I'm not stating that CSC is the best trike, I don't know that because those are the only two I've ridden, but Hatfield's has a good reputation for customer service and they are much closer to where I live than any other trike builder. So between the Champion and the CSC I decided on the CSC because of the ride quality.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't want to mislead. When I say I came to the same conclusion I meant the smoothness of the ride. I didn't feel as though the Champion was dangerous to ride.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Having owned both, owned not just riding one, my 02 was a Champion, my 07 is a CSC.

The Champion did not have the rake kit ( big mistake) but it rode hard..and I was worn out at the end of the day fighting it on the highway..

The CSC kit ride a lot smoother with the IDS and it has the 4.5 degree rake, I would not have any trike without the rake kit installed, no matter what brand....

However, I would not say the Chanpion was dangerous in anyway, it just didn't ride as smooth as the CSC, and that's what I was looking for....smooth ride....sliding through the curves was not anything I was looking for, but the CSC does handle great in the twisties..

I've never rode a Hannigan, but I would think with the IDS on them, it would ride as smooth as the CSC....

Just my opinon, from my seat.....

B

·
0 Posts
WOW :!: :shock: And people think I'm opinionated!

cptdenny said:
I ran over a pinecone with the rear wheel in the parking lot that jolted the Champion trike to the point I felt this was an unsafe vehicle to operate on public roads.
All I can ask is, "How big was this pinecone?"

As much as I like my CSC and agree with everything you said about it, I know too many folks who are very satisfied and happy with their Champions to write it off based on your short test ride experience. If a single pinecone caused that much bad feeling, something was wrong somewhere.

·
Registered
175 Posts
cptdenny.

No offence is taken, but you stated that you are a 2 wheel rider, and have tried a trike, 3 times on a very limited basis at that. I can't believe anyone with very limited trike running experience, can truely judge any trike, no matter the make. The first test ride I had on a trike was several years ago, and if I rememeber right, it scared me just because it was so different from any 2 wheel bike. I believe it was a Motor Trike, but that doesn't matter anyhow. Even after 3 test rides, over time, I was still uneasy somewhat with a trike ride. It wasn't until I brought my 1800, then triked it Champion, would I get use to handling a trike. Now that I have gotten used to it, ( a long time ago now), I wish I had done something like this years ago.

The Champion may not ride as smooth as a CSC, (don't know), but there is no way a Champion is unsafe to ride. I've had mine at 75 and 80 on the freeway, and have turned curves without any problems what so ever, and this is without Easy Steer. In my first trike driving season, I logged on some 12,000 miles, mostly on super highway, and this Champion has never given me any trouble what so ever.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have read that there is a 200 mile learning curve and then 1000 miles untill you really feel comfortable. That is just about what it took me to feel really at ease while riding in the city. On the highway it's easy to forget your on a trike since it'd so easy to change lanes. I wish I triked years ago.

Bill

·
Registered
238 Posts
Billy4644 said:
I have read that there is a 200 mile learning curve and then 1000 miles untill you really feel comfortable. That is just about what it took me to feel really at ease while riding in the city. On the highway it's easy to forget your on a trike since it'd so easy to change lanes. I wish I triked years ago.

I hope I feel the same after my learning curve. I don't have mine yet, probably not until late February, but the with the current weather conditions I wouldn't be able to ride it anyway.
I bought my 2004 Goldwing used about 15 months ago with the idea that eventually (5+ years) I would be triking it. Well circumstances warrented having it done much earlier. I'm going to miss some of the aspects of two wheel riding, I'm sure, but I'm also looking forward to the three wheel experience.
As for the CSC vs. Champion comparison, everyone has their opinions just like the Harley vs. Honda, Ford vs. Chevy, etc. As long as YOU are happy with the one you drive/ride, everyone else's opinions are just that, opinions. A lot of variables are involded when making a purchase of this magnitude and everyone of us has a different set of variables. So what suits/fits one rider may or may not suit/fit another. I'm sure I could own the Champion and be very happy. I just decided that there were certain things about the CSC that would make me happier. Someone else could easily find it to be the other way around. Everyone has different perceived needs.
Anyway, I can't wait to ride. My wife and I and her sister and brother-in-law are planning a 17 day ride out West (to include among other places, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon). Sometimes I think planning the trips are half the fun. We're not leaving on that one until June 30th, but we will do a lot of shorter rides ahead of that! :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe Sarge means bellybuttons? You know, everybody's got one, not everybody shows them :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have posted what I am about to say on many trike boards in the past. From my experience in riding the various trikes over the past two years, I have discovered the following:
1. riding a trike with no passenger is not a true test. It's amazing how the ride changes with someone behind the driver.
2. For a true test be sure all the tires are inflated correctly. If you can, ride the trike(s) at the minimum recommended pressure and then the maximum recommended pressure for the rear tires. It's amazing how the character of the ride changes.
3. Most often the trike one chooses is not solely based on the rear end technology; but also on the other features of the trike.
Having said this, we chose to go with the Champion conversion. I have found that with only my wife behind me the best ride is at a rear tire inflation of 20 PSI. I am sure that when we load the trunk, I'll have to raise the pressure to 22-25 PSI.
Nothing against the IRS folks; but I find it interesting that the 3 major MC manufacturers who are getting into trikes have chosen the solid axle technology.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nothing against the IRS folks; but I find it interesting that the 3 major MC manufacturers who are getting into trikes have chosen the solid axle technology.

I must have missed something, who besides HD is going to build trikes?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After driving to Trike Traders of Kissimmee Florida today, I can say with a smile its time for me to eat CROW.

This trike builder builds Champion, CSC and Hannigan trikes. I decided to give his version of the Champion Trike a test ride. This Champion rode far better than the two previous samples I wrote about yesterday.

I did not feel threatened at speed nor in turns as I did riding yesterday's riding Trikes by Tony's versions of their Champion Trike.

Doug from Trike Traders apparently knows how to put a solid Champion Trike together. His Champion version was set up near perfect and I have no squawk now with Champion trikes being unsafe, it all depends who's setting one up that apparently matters. So my apologies are in order to the Champion Trike owners.

I'll add my comments/post about the Hannigan's test ride in a moment.

Shucks, this color makes me look fat. :shock:

B

·
0 Posts
Slinkey said:

HD is the only company I have heard about. And you might note that HD is not going to build their trikes, they are subbing the work out to Lehman.

Now this is just my opinion but - more than likely, Honda will never build a trike, nor sub the work to another company.

As to building a trike, first there is the 3-wheel consent agreement they signed back in the '70s, and second (they say) there isn't enough demand to put on a special assembly line.

As to subbing the assembly out to another company, I just don't think that's Honda's way. Honda builds Hondas.

But - if I had my way...
Nick Hoppner wrote in Wing World June 2006, an editorial titled: "The Time HS Come" Nick said to Honda, "Please build us a genuine Honda Gold Wing trike with automatic transmission! I predict you'd sell them fsater than you could make them!"

·
Registered
42 Posts
beastie said:
Slinkey said:

HD is the only company I have heard about. And you might note that HD is not going to build their trikes, they are subbing the work out to Lehman.

Now this is just my opinion but - more than likely, Honda will never build a trike, nor sub the work to another company.

As to building a trike, first there is the 3-wheel consent agreement they signed back in the '70s, and second (they say) there isn't enough demand to put on a special assembly line.

As to subbing the assembly out to another company, I just don't think that's Honda's way. Honda builds Hondas.

But - if I had my way...
Nick Hoppner wrote in Wing World June 2006, an editorial titled: "The Time HS Come" Nick said to Honda, "Please build us a genuine Honda Gold Wing trike with automatic transmission! I predict you'd sell them fsater than you could make them!"

Don, I would buy a "Wingomatic" trike and i'm not 50 yet :D

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
A Suzuki dealer in Lytle, TX has two Suzuki trikes on his showroom floor for sale. They have Lehman conversion kits. He purchased them from Lehman for resale. One was a 800cc and the other the C90 model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts