GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to change the fork oil on my 2005 Goldwing/Champion trike with a 4.5 percent rake kit. I am following Fred's dvd which shows how to change oil without removing the forks. I have Champion's rake kit that has 1 inch extension caps. I am having a very difficult time removing the caps. I hope the previous owner didn't FUBAR the caps, because the left cap looks a bit chewed up. Yes, I did loosen the upper tree pinch bolts. I've tried a 2 foot breaker bar, hitting the top of the cap with a larger socket head and hammer, air impact wrench, hand impact wrench and tried to get some penetrating oil in there. For those who have this set up, have you found you need to remove the forks? If not, any other tips to get those suckers loose. If I have to remove the forks, I just may take them to a dealer.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I'm trying to change the fork oil on my 2005 Goldwing/Champion trike with a 4.5 percent rake kit. I am following Fred's dvd which shows how to change oil without removing the forks. I have Champion's rake kit that has 1 inch extension caps. I am having a very difficult time removing the caps. I hope the previous owner didn't FUBAR the caps, because the left cap looks a bit chewed up. Yes, I did loosen the upper tree pinch bolts. I've tried a 2 foot breaker bar, hitting the top of the cap with a larger socket head and hammer, air impact wrench, hand impact wrench and tried to get some penetrating oil in there. For those who have this set up, have you found you need to remove the forks? If not, any other tips to get those suckers loose. If I have to remove the forks, I just may take them to a dealer.
Found this. Hope that the tips can help.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?261996-Neat-trick-for-loosining-stuck-fork-caps

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wheels for the site. I've Googled my butt off on this and it seems to be a common problem. I guess what I am looking for is whether keeping the fork on the bike with the extended fork cap prevents it from coming loose...I've tried everything short of heat. I would like to avoid removing the forks if possible. As a side note...I took your advice on not using the Mity-Vac to bleed...and got a similar device like yours that uses the air from my compressor to suck the fluid out. Works like a charm...thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
How about sliding the forks up and trying a strap wrench on the cap.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Run the pressure up in that compressor to about 110 psi, put the air wrench on max, hold on tight and pull the trigger, they will come off there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Run the pressure up in that compressor to about 110 psi, put the air wrench on max, hold on tight and pull the trigger, they will come off there.
I tried that also...no go. I did finally get the caps off. I had to remove the forks from the bike. Then I wrapped some good duct tape around the forks where I would be clamping them. I then wrapped tightly some aluminum flashing around the forks about 6 inches wide and placed about 3 inches below the fork lip. The flashing is to protect the forks. Then some more duct tape on the flashing to hold it tight. I then put the forks in a bench vice and cranked it down pretty tight. I put some penetrating oil on the caps and let them sit over night. Tried hitting the caps with a hammer and oversized socket...that didn't work. Tried the air and hand impact wrenches and neither worked. I tried a strap wrench and heat gun--that didn't work. I tried a two foot breaker bar with a two foot pipe on the end for a total of 4 feet of leverage and the heat gun. That didn't work. I finally brought out the propane torch and had to heat the forks, just below the caps, a few times while using the long breaker bar/pipe on the nut and also using the pipe wrench lower on the fork to give an opposite twist to the breaker bar so the fork wouldn't turn in the vice. THE CAPS FINALLY BROKE FREE!!!! I have no idea how much torgue the previous owner used. There wasn't a scratch on the forks and they and the threads don't look the worse for wear after all that. The caps are pretty beat up, but probably still usable. But rather than taking a chance, I'm getting new extension caps from Cad to Chrome--they are 1/2 inch longer than the 1 inch extensions from Champion. Also a hats-off to Cad to Chrome for writing a long email to me explaining how they get stubborn caps off---I used their propane and aluminum wrap in a vice suggestions and that worked.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I tried that also...no go. I did finally get the caps off. I had to remove the forks from the bike. Then I wrapped some good duct tape around the forks where I would be clamping them. I then wrapped tightly some aluminum flashing around the forks about 6 inches wide and placed about 3 inches below the fork lip. The flashing is to protect the forks. Then some more duct tape on the flashing to hold it tight. I then put the forks in a bench vice and cranked it down pretty tight. I put some penetrating oil on the caps and let them sit over night. Tried hitting the caps with a hammer and oversized socket...that didn't work. Tried the air and hand impact wrenches and neither worked. I tried a strap wrench and heat gun--that didn't work. I tried a two foot breaker bar with a two foot pipe on the end for a total of 4 feet of leverage and the heat gun. That didn't work. I finally brought out the propane torch and had to heat the forks, just below the caps, a few times while using the long breaker bar/pipe on the nut and also using the pipe wrench lower on the fork to give an opposite twist to the breaker bar so the fork wouldn't turn in the vice. THE CAPS FINALLY BROKE FREE!!!! I have no idea how much torgue the previous owner used. There wasn't a scratch on the forks and they and the threads don't look the worse for wear after all that. The caps are pretty beat up, but probably still usable. But rather than taking a chance, I'm getting new extension caps from Cad to Chrome--they are 1/2 inch longer than the 1 inch extensions from Champion. Also a hats-off to Cad to Chrome for writing a long email to me explaining how they get stubborn caps off---I used their propane and aluminum wrap in a vice suggestions and that worked.

The word that comes to mind is . . . . .WOW!!!!!!!!! Glad you got them off. Now that was a job.:eek:4::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Sounds like someone used a high output torque wrench on them.Like some of the tire shops do.And when you have a flat you can't break them loose.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sorry to hear you had to go through so much but glad to hear you got them off. Kudos to Cad to Chrome for being a good guy in this. I wonder who the original installer was.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
With all that work, I'm glad I let my dealer work on my Trike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear you had to go through so much but glad to hear you got them off. Kudos to Cad to Chrome for being a good guy in this. I wonder who the original installer was.
From what I can tell, it was some outfit in lower middle Tennessee...fairly close to Chattanooga...They are out of business. The install looks good, as I have had opportunities to raise up the trike and go over everything. It runs well and handles well. Someone just decided to mess with the forks and didn't know what they were doing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The word that comes to mind is . . . . .WOW!!!!!!!!! Glad you got them off. Now that was a job.:eek:4::thumbup:
The right side of my rib cage is sore as heck and my right bicep is tender as well. Those were tough mothers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts