GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there a change in the rear rotors from the 2001 to the 2003 model years? I believe I read on the old board that some had their brake squeal fixed by the dealer installing a newer harder rotor. I have a rotor from a 2003 that has been triked and am wondering if replacing my 01 rotor with the 03 would make a difference. TIA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rustler;

My 2001 had a bad rear brake squeal problem. The dealer would clean the pads and they would squeal as I left the parking lot. Eventually I put anti-squeal on the pads and the squealing went away. Eventually at about 32K miles the rear rotor started to form groves that finally convinced me to replace the rotor from a triked 2002. Worked fine from then until 43K.

The part number for the rear brake rotor did not change between 2001 & 2002 but something did change in the rotor. The best speculation I heard was that the pressure used to set the rivets was changed. This made it a manufacturing change and therefore no change in part number.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom, I thought there was some sort of difference in the later rotors. I have over 75,000 miles on mine now and it is getting a ridge around the edge. I guess it is about time to replace it. With a little luck I will get rid of the squealing brakes I've listened to for the last 75,000 miles..lol I got the complete differential and brake assembly, so I guess I will just replace the whole thing. That will give me a new caliper, pads and differenetial as well as the rotor. Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts