GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 trike had a low and high bulb burn out at same time one on each side. I had heart attack and can not get hands into those small places without breaking thin skin from warfarin blood thinners and did not want to bleed to death.

I took it to local dealer and they had no issues working on my trike quoted me about an hour or so labor to do it. They used my bulbs without any issues and were very apologetic when I came to pay that they would have to charge me two hours and I was not surprised at all I have done that job before and it took me way over two hours but I do not work on them every day.

They felt that they owed me something so they washed and waxed the trike for free. I actually liked service at a dealer..

I took a can am spyder for a test ride while they were cleaning the trike to pass the time. I was actually impressed that it handled better than i though it would I sure would get used to the semiauto tranny in a hurry but it was wierd not to have a front brake lever.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
You replace bulbs with oem or go to leds

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Hmmmmm. I have been talking about replacing mine plus the rear running lights.

Have been advised on here that it is nothing. Maybe 10 minutes for each headlight bulb max. So if that is the case, with 4 that should be 40 minutes total.

If what was told to me is true, then I wonder how they can charge 2 hours for changing out 4 bulbs just by turning the handle bar, reaching down and pull, etc.....

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
933 Posts

Have been advised on here that it is nothing. Maybe 10 minutes for each headlight bulb max. So if that is the case, with 4 that should be 40 minutes total.

If what was told to me is true, then I wonder how they can charge 2 hours for changing out 4 bulbs just by turning the handle bar, reaching down and pull, etc.....
10 minutes for LOW beams. A whole lot more and a bunch of cussing for high beams.

I changed all 4 over to EC LEDs. Love 'em!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Glad your experience at your dealer left you with a positive feeling.

As Greg pointed out - the low beams are easier to replace (in the 10 - 15 minute range) but the high beams are a lot more challenging (in the 25 - 40 minute range).

Back at Wing Ding 39 (2017) I had Lewis Preston (Electrical Connections) replace my low beams with his LED units - at the time he was doing the low beams for $10 and the high beams would have been $40 - so if Lewis was charging 4x the low beams I can only think that the high beams were 4x the difficulty. By the way, those low beams were the best decision I made at Wing Ding! I love them and are moving to LEDs on other units on my Wing.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Yes low beam bulbs are fairly easy to change but high beams are much more work.
I have never burned out a high beam bulb on my 2002 but I do replace them sometimes when I have the top shelter off to change the air filter, then they are very easy to change.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
TO DO LOW BEAMS TAKE A DOWEL ROD AND CUT A NOTCH IN BOTTOM TO UNDO/DO THE SPRING ABOUT 16 INCHES LONG USE FLASH LITE TO SEE IN THERE . OEMS ARE EASY . JUST DID MY HIGHS WITH LEDS WHILE CHANGING AIR FILTER STILL PIAN IN AZZ WITH EVERYTHING OFF ! CANT IMAGINE IF YA BIG HANDS ! :wink2:

·
Registered
5,766 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
My 2008 trike had a low and high bulb burn out at same time one on each side. I had heart attack and can not get hands into those small places without breaking thin skin from warfarin blood thinners and did not want to bleed to death.

I took it to local dealer and they had no issues working on my trike quoted me about an hour or so labor to do it. They used my bulbs without any issues and were very apologetic when I came to pay that they would have to charge me two hours and I was not surprised at all I have done that job before and it took me way over two hours but I do not work on them every day.

They felt that they owed me something so they washed and waxed the trike for free. I actually liked service at a dealer..

I took a can am spyder for a test ride while they were cleaning the trike to pass the time. I was actually impressed that it handled better than i though it would I sure would get used to the semiauto tranny in a hurry but it was wierd not to have a front brake lever.
We all need to support our dealers or they may not be there.

Selling motorcycles is getting tougher as the younger generations are not buying MCs whether they weren't taught to ride or they can't afford to buy a MC.

Dropping my other bike off for 16K mile service and have no problems paying for several hours of labor.:wink2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know you can see LEDs when they're coming at your better than regular lights but do they light up in front of you at night better?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I know you can see LEDs when they're coming at your better than regular lights but do they light up in front of you at night better?
My ECs sure do!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You remove both pockets, lock, lower flap control get small hand person and try to do it blind Lowers are rather easy high lots of work and time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts