GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,
I'd bet Greg or Fred could answer this pretty easily but, I'm gonna throw it out there to see if anyone else has had or, possibly having the same issue. A while back, in a thread about changing coolant, much was mentioned about the procedure for evacuating that coolant by the use of a vacuum unit that was powered by air pressure. Well, I didn't have one of those but, my son did and his was a commercial unit made by MAC or Snap On or one of those. It basically apparently was or is very close to the same tool as the U50000 or what ever that number is.

In any case, I found or followed all the procedures for that operation. I vacuumed the system out, at least three times and, each time, I got just a tad more anti-freeze. I think the fourth time, I got nothing. So, I figured the system was totally empty. Now, I followed the same procedures for filling with that tool. I did it as I was supposed to and, as far as I know, the system is totally full. I think I had to add a tad bit to the overflow tank on the bottom of the bike. But, again, that was quite a while ago and, if it didn't happen this morning, my memory is pure sh....

But, here's the deal. Ever since I did that, each and almost every single time me and the CEO go for a ride, in certain conditions, we smell anti-freeze. It doesn't matter if it's a short, 15 minute ride out to dinner or, a hours ride to some other place. It's (the smell) not ALWAYS there but, if I had to give it a percentage, I'd say close to 85% of the time. And, it's even present at some intersections when we're sitting, waiting for the light to change.

Now, yes, I have searched and searched, as best I can, without disassembling the Wing, to see where this might be coming from, NO LUCK YET. And, here's the kicker, it's pretty much NEVER LOW in the overflow tank. Hmmmmmm. I keep an eye on that temp gauge a bit more frequent than I have in the past years of riding due to this phenomena. It never, ever, heats up. There's ZERO evidence there's any form of leakage, from any part of that bike/engine. I think that when I was filling it, it took close to a full gallon but, again, toooooo long ago for this old memory to recall.

Anyway, for you 1800 coolant passage/hoses/tank/radiator/water pump and anything else involved in that cooling system experts, where would you POTENTIALLY think that this might be coming from? And, would vacuuming down that system, cause a leak that, primarily happens under pressure, or I think it does anyways? Is it possible I collapsed a hose, or possibly even a hard part like some of the tubing in one or the other radiator to the point I cracked it? At this time, based on the fact that I really don't have to add any almost at all, (I can't remember adding any after the coolant change) I'm gonna keep my eye on the gauge and the overflow tank but, I really don't think that it would be necessary to tear half this machine apart to try and find such a small potential leak. Ideas? Thoughts?
Scott

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 07 did that the two times I changed coolant. I couldn't find any leaks and wasn't aware of any being spilled during the drain and refill process. After a few months and several wash jobs it doesn't smell anymore.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Don't know where you live (if it's warm OR not) but maybe some fluid spilled down onto your engine, maybe (only a suggestion here) if you wash your bike and let the hose water rinse away any of the anti freeze spill, this may cure your smell.... I just asked about being warm OR not cause if it's too cold (like where I live ) it be way too cold to wash the bike...

Ronnie

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check the pressure cap for evidence of leak. Or, simply replace it and know you've eliminated a potential problem that's difficult to access. Good Luck.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I second the notion that some coolant spilled on top of the engine and is slowly evaporating into your olfactory bulbs.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
On mine, I smelled it, but knew I spilled a little. All it takes is a little. It took two years to get rid of the smell just in time to replace it again.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On mine, I smelled it, but knew I spilled a little. All it takes is a little. It took two years to get rid of the smell just in time to replace it again.
Yeah,
I did spill a slight amount. Maybe say, oh, about 2-3 oz or so. And maybe that's what's taking so looooooonggg to burn off. Thanks to all for responding here. Glad I'm not the only one.
Scott

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Ideas? Thoughts?
Scott
Vacuuming has nothing to do with your issue. Your issue is probably cause by not following proper procedure prior to changing the fluid. On 5th gens, there are 2 things that are critical to having a healthy cooling system. First and foremost, is servicing the system every 12,000 miles, and the best way to do that is by pressure testing the cooling system. Prior to doing a coolant change, leaks they must be fixed first. 2nd is changing the coolant at least every 2 years or 24k whichever comes first.

Be sure to pressure test the cap too, and inspect the reservoir hoses for having cracked ends. If your Wing has more than 50k, most likely your reservoir hose will need replace.

Here what probably happened to yours. Honda does not use silcant (sand) in there anti-freeze. Antifreeze that carries fine particles of silicone basically sand-blasts the system as the silicone passes through. Instead Honda uses anti-freeze that cleans the system with a chemical package. So your leak, that you didn't know you had, got cleaned out and is now leaking worst.

The idea of changing the anti-freeze every 2 years/24k does not require a vacuum system. The idea is to do it frequently, not completely. Sometimes the black upper center cowl needs removed, to rinse from the front across the top of the head.

If yours is cause from spillage near the cap, try this. Remove the pocket and heavily rinse under the pocket with a water hose. Also heavily rinse through the radiator grills.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have any cooling issues and don't know Greg or Fred so my opinion may be discounted but:

For 20 years every 5 years, I drained rad and reservoir and added coolant until topped. Last year I decided to add coolant based on specs. I have no idea what happened but completely overfilled. I washed the bike twice and could still smell coolant. Check levels and ok. Washed again still coolant smell so I checked and washed every week for a month. Finally smell was gone.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think it was either Pigeon Roost or FredH that advocated years ago that the bike be tilted forward (front wheel removal at a minimum) to get a better drain on the coolant system. I don't think anything short of a tear-down will get all the coolant out, however. If such is the case then its not surprising that an over-fill would be likely if going on specs.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
No matter how you change coolant, using any method, how in the world can the system be "overfilled"? Put coolant in the cap until full, put the amount needed in the overflow container, the worst that can happen is air in the system needs to work it's way out, then top off with more coolant to fill. Don't ever use the spec amount of coolant and just pour it in all in a quick pour, or for sure it will spill all over and smell for 2yrs even if washed off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts