GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'll say the tire pressure monitor saved me and doomed me at the same time.

When I had the Bridgestone front tire installed a few months ago I didn't have any of the metal 90* valve stems with me so I let the dealer install the rubber-based 90* stems. I had read here on the forum that installing the TPM sensor on the 90* stem could lead to a failure due to the centrifugal force but I figured, "what's the odds?"

While riding back from Wing Ding last Sunday I started hearing a "chirping" and after checking the GPS for a red light camera warning I realized it was the TPM module on the keychain indicating I was losing pressure in my front tire. At first glance it read 17psi and by the time I made it to a nearby BP station it was at 9psi.

Examining the tire I found no holes or nails but when I wiggled the valve stem BINGO. It was leaking through a crack in the rubber seal. It was Sunday afternoon and no motorcycle shops were open. Fortunately I was in town and on a major thoroughfare.

Going into McGyver mode and recalling reading a thread here in the forum, I aired the tire and loaded Ms. Trekbiker back aboard and made a beeline to a Pep Boys located about 1/8 mile away. The man at the service counter told me he couldn't do anything with a motorcycle tire. No surprise there but I figured I'd ask.

Since I was hoping to find a good deal on a new front tire at Wing Ding I had a couple of the metal Patchboy 90* metal stems in the trunk. So I bought a 6" C-clamp from Pep Boys and, with the assistance of JRHOG and his tire irons and a piece of wood, we installed the new valve stem.

Placing the board on one side of the tire and using the tire iron beneath the jaws of the C-clamp I was able to break the bead and squeeze the tire together enough that I could remove the old stem and JRHOG installed the new one.

Thankfully the little Slime air compressor put out enough air to make the tire seat back onto the rim. In less than 30 minutes we were back on the road and made it home.

My thanks to whoever on the forum that posted a long time ago about using a C-clamp to install a stem (or it may have been to install Dyna Beads). You saved us a long wait in a hot parking lot.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
WAY COOL !! :thumbup:

Those are the kinds of stories that keep me coming back here.
:)

Good job...

Dennis

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a photographic memory. Can't always remember what was said, but I can remember a picture. Thanks if and when in advance.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
You'd better get that thing to a certified Honda mechanic immediately! Don't you know that it is dangerous to do your own work on a Pep Boys parking lot? And installing anything other than OEM parts is foolish! Dang. Next thing you'll be running one of those square tires on the back...

:wrong:

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is potentially one of the most useful things I've ever read on any forum.

I've heard that the oem valve stems are fragile so I've been careful to backup mine when adding air. Are they really that vulnerable? If so, I'll carry a spare stem for that hopefully rare and unlikely need.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

I've heard that the oem valve stems are fragile so I've been careful to backup mine when adding air. Are they really that vulnerable? If so, I'll carry a spare stem for that hopefully rare and unlikely need.

Yes, they are that vulnerable. You are better off to get a solid metal stem. There are a bunch out there and a lot of people use the 90 degree patchboy stem like this:

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/sea...CC00F5277CFB64.qscstrfrnt03?keywords=patchboy

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Yes, they are that vulnerable. You are better off to get a solid metal stem. There are a bunch out there and a lot of people use the 90 degree patchboy stem like this:

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/sea...CC00F5277CFB64.qscstrfrnt03?keywords=patchboy
Tried to help a harley guy at deals gap a couple of days ago but he has the stock straight stem. Man o man there wasn't enough room to even check the pressure. Sad thing is we knew there was less than 20lbs in it. Told him about the same 90 degree stems.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If you carry a spare stem get one like TravelinLite shows in his post. One like what broke (the stem in my 1st photo) would have been about impossible to install without the proper tool, especially in the limited work area. The Patchboy type stem just needs a 1/2" socket to tighten the nuts.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Same thing happened to me on Monday. Mine happened suddenly and at about 75 MPH. I ended up ruining the tire and having to get a tow to get it fixed.

Replace those factory valve stems.

Jason

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
That is a great idea to change the stem like that.
I have the patchboy stems now but the next time I buy any I will try to find them with the nuts on the outside. Had a tire installed and had to take it back the next day to get the nuts tightened.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Does the tire pressure warning system still function with these stems?
I have used these stems for over 3yrs now and have the Show Chrome TPMS that uses the sending unit as a valve cap. No problems at all using this stem as it is solid. I would not even think of using the heavy caps on the OEM valve stems.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have used these stems for over 3yrs now and have the Show Chrome TPMS that uses the sending unit as a valve cap. No problems at all using this stem as it is solid. I would not even think of using the heavy caps on the OEM valve stems.
Yeah I knew better than to do it myself but after the dealer installed the OEM stems I just got lazy and decided to roll the dice. We were somewhat lucky in that we had just gotten out of a 70mph speed zone just a few miles prior to the flat.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a great idea to change the stem like that.
I have the patchboy stems now but the next time I buy any I will try to find them with the nuts on the outside. Had a tire installed and had to take it back the next day to get the nuts tightened.
Hey Mike, it was good to meet and ride a bit with you last week at the Wing Ding lunch. The stem I installed is a patchboy just like the kind you probably have. the nuts go on the inside of the wheel.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Trekbiker, you're a man of many talents. Have you ever considered journalism? :thumbup:

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Hey Mike, it was good to meet and ride a bit with you last week at the Wing Ding lunch. The stem I installed is a patchboy just like the kind you probably have. the nuts go on the inside of the wheel.
Steve, Good meeting and riding with you also!

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I'm very impressed...nice:bow:

·
Registered
467 Posts
So, if you were not in an emergency situation, would you do the replacement this way or go ahead and remove the tire and have the tire repair people do it?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I used to change my valve stems at every tire change until replacing them with the 90 degrees metal 1s.

I would leave it alone until time to change the tires but my I go through tires quickly. If getting ready for a trip I would either go ahead and change the stems myself or at least make sure I have everything I need to do the job with me as a backup.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts