GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2008 Airbag is getting a little long in tooth and we are in the early stages of considering a 2018+ model. I figure since we have already seen the 2018, 2019, 2020 and on the cusp of a 2021 it would be good to start keeping track of changes. I know a few of them but would like help, broken down by year, of which upgrades have happened. I'll try to start.

2018 = All new model with a DCT and 6 speed manual options. Can use Apple Car Play but not Android Auto.
2019 = I don't know what changes, please help.
2020 = Driving lights now standard, different shift points for the DCT? Better passenger grips.
2021 = Maybe Android Auto

Well there is a start and I might already be off on some points so please help. It might be the difference between which model year is chosen by us (and maybe others).

Also, does anyone still fly to Chattanooga and get one of those great deals and ride home? For that matter I guess we could do a ride up on the old bike and ride home on the new bike. This will likely occur a year or more from now but we are long term planners. Hope COVID is over by then.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Android Auto is expected to work on 2018+ bikes after the June software update. So that’s not a difference.

In 2020 they updated to a nicer rear passenger grab handle design.

In 2019+ you get two FOBs standard, instead of one.

The colors vary based on the year.

IMHO, nothing significant has changed and getting a smokin’ deal on a new 2018 is the best move. All the changes can be retrofit on the 2018 model and you’ll still save significant cash.

·
Registered
585 Posts
2020 is the only year that had a few added refinements to the dct models. Tour models get the rear grab handles and fog lights. Dct is supposedly smoothly downshifting and less noisy. All in all the consensus of people determine that’s it’s not that much a difference to get a 2020 over an 18 of 19 unless you just want to have the all black colors instead of the chrome. Colors and price is what it boils down to on whichever year you decide. I’m sure if you get a new 2018 the dealer will get you a spare fob. Some incredible deals I’ve seen on remaining 18 models.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming. I know that Southern Honda has some 2018 six speed tours advertised at $19,698 and even a 2018 Airbag DCT at $23,898. Our local dealers offer some bikes at less than MSRP but not that good. However it would have to be balanced against a trip to Chattanooga. Actually still looking to get about a year to 18 months on our current bike but at the moment it is down with a brake issue.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Regarding XM - in my opinion waste of money. I've got a MP3 stick with about 9800 songs on it. Have no desire to pay Howard Stern.

To the OP - go to Chattanooga, get a good deal, tell some of us when you'll be there, might come see ya, then go out and ride the cherahola. 👍🏼😁

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming. I know that Southern Honda has some 2018 six speed tours advertised at $19,698 and even a 2018 Airbag DCT at $23,898. Our local dealers offer some bikes at less than MSRP but not that good. However it would have to be balanced against a trip to Chattanooga. Actually still looking to get about a year to 18 months on our current bike but at the moment it is down with a brake issue.
Thats some pretty good prices but then again were talking about 3 year old machines here.
I bought my tour locally in March of 2018 partly because I wanted to support my local dealer, but mostly because of it being a new model and I didnt want any problems with any warranty issues with my local dealer if it were to happen after buying the bike from a dealer three States away...the good news now is this new model has proven to be nearly problem free and today I would have no problem at all buying a bike from three States away...if buying today it would be all about price.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thats some pretty good prices but then again were talking about 3 year old machines here.
I bought my tour locally in March of 2018 partly because I wanted to support my local dealer, but mostly because of it being a new model and I didnt want any problems with any warranty issues with my local dealer if it were to happen after buying the bike from a dealer three States away...the good news now is this new model has proven to be nearly problem free and today I would have no problem at all buying a bike from three States away...if buying today it would be all about price.
Roadie, do you think your local dealer would cause a problem for you on warranty work if you bought somewhere else?
Don't get me wrong, I totally understand your concern. But they do like the revenue they get from Honda for warranty work. Honda will make sure that the warranty work is done too.

HOWEVER, they "might" make you wait until they can "get to it". You know how it is, with so much work they have right now piled up in the shop to do, it might take a while to get to YOUR bike. Is this the concern you had? Like I said, I understand.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Roadie, do you think your local dealer would cause a problem for you on warranty work if you bought somewhere else?
Don't get me wrong, I totally understand your concern. But they do like the revenue they get from Honda for warranty work. Honda will make sure that the warranty work is done too.

HOWEVER, they "might" make you wait until they can "get to it". You know how it is, with so much work they have right now piled up in the shop to do, it might take a while to get to YOUR bike. Is this the concern you had? Like I said, I understand.
I bought my 2003 in New York at a 3000 dollar discount back in Nov of 02....then the frame recalls came in late 2003..... and then I finally had the frame replaced with the redesigned frame in 2008 because of rear triangle frame crack. With those frame issues I was told by my local Honda dealer and another honda dealer in my State.." Why dont you take it back to the dealer you bought the bike from"....with the frame replacement, Honda was only paying for 26 hours of labor to do the job, it was easily a 40 hour job for a shop who had never done it before...so.... dealers here where I live didnt wanted to lose the money to do the job on a bike that they didnt sell..so they told me to go else where...I know some will say that it shouldnt matter and any Honda dealer should honor the Honda warranty...and they will on a simple easy repair/part replacement....but if its a problem that takes some serious thought/skill and time to fiqure out and the dealer didnt sell you the bike, then it will be a nightmare...just the way it is when you buy from 3 States away and you expect your local dealer to take care of you if something serious happens...just something that should be considered when buying from the discount dealers.

·
Registered
18,699 Posts
Warranty is warranty. Whether you bought your bike from that dealer or one in China

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Warranty is warranty. Whether you bought your bike from that dealer or one in China
Supposed to be like that..but its not like that in all cases. A Honda dealer can do what they want to do..its best to buy locally and have a relationship with your dealer if you expect VIP treatment.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Supposed to be like that..but its not like that in all cases. A Honda dealer can do what they want to do..its best to buy locally and have a relationship with your dealer if you expect VIP treatment.
That dealer had a chance to earn your business with good pricing, and if they failed to win your business, then that's okay... But to then vindictively refuse warranty work is unacceptable.

If a dealer is going to refuse warranty work simply because you didn't buy the bike from them, then I'd intentionally not buy from them. I'd avoid giving them a dime and I'd make sure everyone I knew heard the story to discourage them from spending money there, too.

We shouldn't reward bad businesses (local or not). Instead, we should drive them out of business. Reward the businesses that take care of you.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
That dealer had a chance to earn your business with good pricing, and if they failed to win your business, then that's okay... But to then vindictively refuse warranty work is unacceptable.

If a dealer is going to refuse warranty work simply because you didn't buy the bike from them, then I'd intentionally not buy from them. I'd avoid giving them a dime and I'd make sure everyone I knew heard the story to discourage them from spending money there, too.

We shouldn't reward bad businesses (local or not). Instead, we should drive them out of business. Reward the businesses that take care of you.
I can see your point...but I can see the local dealers point too...in my case the local dealers would had to eat at least 20 hours of labor..at 90 dollars a hour....would you eat 1800 dollars on a pain in the butt warranty job for a customer that didn't buy the bike from you?..like I said just one of the considerations you have to think about if you are thinking about buying from 3 States away... and if you do...then don't expect your local dealer to take care of you like you bought the bike from them with a money losing warranty job.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can see your point...but I can see the local dealers point too...in my case the local dealers would had to eat at least 20 hours of labor..at 90 dollars a hour....would you eat 1800 dollars on a pain in the butt warranty job for a customer that didn't buy the bike from you?..like I said just one of the considerations you have to think about if you are thinking about buying from 3 States away... and if you do...then don't expect your local dealer to take care of you like you bought the bike from them with a money losing warranty job.
Yes, I would. A good business doesn’t look at it and say “you didn’t buy from me, last time, so forget you“. Instead, a good business looks at it and says “I’m going to take such good care of you that you’ll buy from me next time, and the time after”. And they’ll ask themselves “why didn’t they buy from me, last time?”.

And if warranty work is significantly under-compensating them then that’s an issue the dealer needs to take up with Honda. Just because they would have made $1800 or whatever if they charged their list rate doesn’t necessarily mean Honda is under-paying for warrant. Maybe they are... just saying that isn’t evidence of such. First of all, dealer labor rates are absurd. I understand businesses have a right to make a profit, but the hourly labor rate most dealers charge is crazy. A big reason for that (they claim) is to make up for warranty work. And if you believe that, then the dealers shouldn’t refuse warranty, because they’ve already addressed the issue. If a dealer says they have to charge customers more because warranty work is plentiful and not reimbursed well, but then they refuse warranty work, then why do they have to charge customers more??

Pretty much every dealer has told me they don’t make much off sales, anyway, and parts/service is where the money is. So refusing warranty work and potentially losing a customer just because they didn’t give you a sale that wasn’t going to move your bottom line much, anyway, seems silly.

And all of this boils down to the dealer not willing to sell for a good price, in the first place. I simply don’t feel much empathy for a business who is greedy and unhelpful at every step of the way.

So I’m supposed to over-pay at the sales step. Over-pay for parts. Over-pay for service. And only then I can get warranty work? That’s not how it should work.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes, I would. A good business doesn’t look at it and say “you didn’t buy from me, last time, so forget you“. Instead, a good business looks at it and says “I’m going to take such good care of you that you’ll buy from me next time, and the time after”. And they’ll ask themselves “why didn’t they buy from me, last time?”.

And if warranty work is significantly under-compensating them then that’s an issue the dealer needs to take up with Honda. Just because they would have made $1800 or whatever if they charged their list rate doesn’t necessarily mean Honda is under-paying for warrant. Maybe they are... just saying that isn’t evidence of such. First of all, dealer labor rates are absurd. I understand businesses have a right to make a profit, but the hourly labor rate most dealers charge is crazy. A big reason for that (they claim) is to make up for warranty work. And if you believe that, then the dealers shouldn’t refuse warranty, because they’ve already addressed the issue. If a dealer says they have to charge customers more because warranty work is plentiful and not reimbursed well, but then they refuse warranty work, then why do they have to charge customers more??

Pretty much every dealer has told me they don’t make much off sales, anyway, and parts/service is where the money is. So refusing warranty work and potentially losing a customer just because they didn’t give you a sale that wasn’t going to move your bottom line much, anyway, seems silly.

And all of this boils down to the dealer not willing to sell for a good price, in the first place. I simply don’t feel much empathy for a business who is greedy and unhelpful at every step of the way.

So I’m supposed to over-pay at the sales step. Over-pay for parts. Over-pay for service. And only then I can get warranty work? That’s not how it should work.
I really agree with you...but as Ive already said..my case was a pain in the butt money losing warranty job for the dealer..its not the dealer fault Honda would only pay 26 hours for a job that took most inexperienced dealer techs 40 hours do to..maybe the techs at the factory could do the job in 26 hours but not the local dealer techs who have never done a job like that.. that was on Honda and Honda mishandled the whole frame replacement and the dealers in my State were not willing to eat the 1800 dollars for Honda and a customer who didnt buy the bike from them...but my only point with this whole discussion is that if you buy 3 States away and have a major problem with the bike that takes a major tear down, dont expect the local dealer to take care of you like you bought the bike from them...thats just the way it is...Im not saying a Honda dealer wont do most simple warranty work on a non customers bike...but if its a money losing warranty job a on a non customers bike...well it happened to me.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Dealer franchise agreement likely requires them to do warranty work.

I'd be making sure that Honda knows the dealer is not keeping up their end of the bargain.

One of the reasons to purchase Honda instead of something else is the number of dealer locations in N.A.
I hate the idea that their are dealer out their that won't do warranty work on my bike if I have a failure on the road.
Odds of the failure happening when I'm closest to the dealer it was purchased from are pretty low.

There are likely lots of other items that if a dealer hasn't done the repair before are likely to take longer than 'book' time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I really agree with you...but as Ive already said..my case was a pain in the butt money losing warranty job for the dealer..its not the dealer fault Honda would only pay 26 hours for a job that took most inexperienced dealer techs 40 hours do to..maybe the techs at the factory could do the job in 26 hours but not the local dealer techs who have never done a job like that.. that was on Honda and Honda mishandled the whole frame replacement and the dealers in my State were not willing to eat the 1800 dollars for Honda and a customer who didnt buy the bike from them...but my only point with this whole discussion is that if you buy 3 States away and have a major problem with the bike that takes a major tear down, dont expect the local dealer to take care of you like you bought the bike from them...thats just the way it is...Im not saying a Honda dealer wont do most simple warranty work on a non customers bike...but if its a money losing warranty job a on a non customers bike...well it happened to me.
So better hope you never move???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts