GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a thought. Has anyone left the battery tender hooked up to the battery leads when changing out the battery so you do not loose your settings? Would this work?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not sure about that, but I have left a car running and replaced the battery. Might have to try it next time I take the bike apart.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
You could hook jumpers from the new battery to the battery cables before removing them and then leave the jumpers on until the cables are hooked to the new battery.
You should also be able to accomplish the same thing by hooking a small 9v battery across the jumper cables while installing the new battery. There is not much draw from the chips that store the settings.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing a Battery

Thanks for the ideas. I usually take the old battery out when I go to buy a new one and where I buy it from disposes the old one for me. Not sure I want to keep the motorcycle running for an hour in the garage while I am gone.

The 9 volt battery idea is interesting. Might just use a couple of pieces of 18 ga wire instead of the jumper cables.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Here is a thought. Has anyone left the battery tender hooked up to the battery leads when changing out the battery so you do not loose your settings? Would this work?
How big a deal (how much work is involved) in resetting programs after a power interruption?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
How big a deal (how much work is involved) in resetting programs after a power interruption?

Not much really. Reset the time and radio settings and opening if that was changed, and that's it. :coffee1:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Yes it does work. I have done that. On the older wings, you would lose the time as well as the radio settings. Why be re-setting when you can be riding?;)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The 9 volt works great. Even places like Auto Zone plug a 9 volt into the cig. outlet to keep from losing the presets. I just plug it into my passenger plug for heated gear as it is wired direct to battery.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts