GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you guys change brake fluid? Are there any devices or tools that will aid in the changing of brake fluid?

·
Vendor
21,895 Posts
I like to do mine every year, as well as the clutch fluid. Motion Pro makes a one way bleeder valve I like. A MityVac will help suck the old fluid out of the reservoirs, but I don't use it on the bleeders, because it's too easy to suck the reservoir dry, and I think the manual method does a better job of getting all the air out.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0143/

·
Registered
757 Posts

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
How often do you guys change brake fluid? Are there any devices or tools that will aid in the changing of brake fluid?
2 years and they have speed bleeders but you can do it with a open end wrench and a service Manuel. get a set of freds maintenance dvds

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Speed bleeders will make it vastly quicker, easier & less messy. You need 8 to do all the brakes & clutch which will run in the neighborhood of $60 but will make bleeding them a snap. Buy the bleeder bag too, it makes it easy to see when the old fluid is out of the lines. Fred's Videos are highly recommended, not just for this job but for many more & will quickly pay for themselves in labor savings

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Wont let me edit :( I change both my brake & clutch fluid yearly & take both levers off to clean & lube them, makes a difference on the feel & ease of shifting/braking

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Many ways to do things, I use one like this, not this one this is just and example of a pressure bleeder you hook up to an air compressor. Quick, neat, easy and fast. I change the fluid in my bike every once in awhile, if I am not too lazy. LOl!

·
Vendor
17,419 Posts
How often do you guys change brake fluid?
You'll get many answers on that. Your best sources as to how often it needs replace is found in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure why everyone says one year or 12K. Seems a bit overkill to me. Now if it was a snap like the final drive oil; perhaps. Most manuals (auto and motorcycle) suggest at least 2 year intervals.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The Service Manual says every 12k so that's where that number comes from. The Service Manual also stipulates to change the fluid at least every 2 years if you haven't put 12k on in that time.

I just keep an eye on the fluid and if it isn't very dark, I just do it during the winter. If the fluid looks to dark to me, I'll go ahead and change it then. This year I changed out the rear fluid after 6 months and 10k miles as the fluid in the reservoir looked a bit to dark to my liking.

Not sure why everyone says one year or 12K. Seems a bit overkill to me. Now if it was a snap like the final drive oil; perhaps. Most manuals (auto and motorcycle) suggest at least 2 year intervals.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Heat

The Service Manual says every 12k so that's where that number comes from. The Service Manual also stipulates to change the fluid at least every 2 years if you haven't put 12k on in that time.

I just keep an eye on the fluid and if it isn't very dark, I just do it during the winter. If the fluid looks to dark to me, I'll go ahead and change it then. This year I changed out the rear fluid after 6 months and 10k miles as the fluid in the reservoir looked a bit to dark to my liking.
Rob...Like you I change it every 12K miles or twice a year. I did have the fluid darken like light tea color in the rear brake reservoir at 8K miles so I replaced it :shock:. The fluid in the front brake & clutch reservoirs were clear. I was told by a Honda tech that it is heat in hot climates darkens the fluid in the rear and that I did that bleed for nothing :shrug:.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I like to do mine every year, as well as the clutch fluid. Motion Pro makes a one way bleeder valve I like. A MityVac will help suck the old fluid out of the reservoirs, but I don't use it on the bleeders, because it's too easy to suck the reservoir dry, and I think the manual method does a better job of getting all the air out.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0143/
I bought that one a few weeks ago and it sped up the work I just did (further guided by your vids).

I was looking at the Motion Pro ratchet/check-valve thing that was in Cruiseman's newsletter, but those are ~$25 each and you have to buy two of them for the two different size valves which puts it right in the cost zone for a full set of bleeder valves. I'd have a different calculus if I was working on bikes regularly other than my own, but I'm glad I looked further and found the linked to above for <$15 at Amazon -- 80%+ of the convenience for <1/3 of the cost.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Just purchased the Speedbleeders. Well worth the price. Very very quick and easy to change the brake and clutch fluid.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If Bled correctly to replace all fluid in the front, rear and clutch, how much fluid should one plan on having on hand to do the job?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If Bled correctly to replace all fluid in the front, rear and clutch, how much fluid should one plan on having on hand to do the job?
I buy a 1 qt bottle of Valvoline Synpower which does all the brakes & clutch with some to spare. I usually bleed for a bit after the fluid starts running clear just to make sure I have everything out that is coming out. A 1 qt bottle was something like 8.00 the last time I bought one so not that big of an expense where the 1 pt bottles were around 5.00 ea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts