GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted their Goldwing? I am considering it but wonder how much of a pain this would really be...and the cost

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Are you nuts ?

Just kidding, big bucks and a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Most paint shops don't want to mess with bike stuff because of all the little pieces. With base coat, color coat, clear coat, etc, they will tie up a huge area of their shop for several days. That is if you carry all the stuff in to their shop! Lot of work on your end to get to that point, then you have to get everything back together without scratching anything. imho, find a bike the year and color you like and trade.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Ask Honda of Russellville how they custom paint their bikes and trikes. See hondaofrussellville.com/ website.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I doubt you would find a painter willing to take your bike apart, and I would not trust one to do it. So, that is a job you may have to do yourself, or pay a qualified mechanic to do it. A Goldwing is a tough paint job because of all the small, plastic parts that require painting. I would be surprised if you could get a quality paint job for under $2,000.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Chris, from Chippendale photo shoot ?

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
If its shop that does bikes no big deal to them . My guy hangs all the parts up to paint so not in they way . Much cheaper to take off yourself ! Not hard just time consuming ! Look up on forum how to and tech to see how most come apart or look at fische . Did mine 2 tone . Good luck n take pics .

·
Registered
994 Posts
White_Wing04 changed his from black to white.Pretty sure he pulled it apart himself(maybe when he was changing the motor).I know he paid to get the paint work done though.Maybe he will pop in and tell you how it went.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Local shops do bike parts all the time if you bring them the parts. Now getting the bike apart is another story...

·
Registered
229 Posts
My bike is in the paint booth now. I got pretty lucky, my Honda dealer is directly across the street from the autobody shop. I got one total price for the breakdown, delivery, paint, and reassemble. I have always broken my bikes down in the past and brought the pieces on my own but this bike is brand new and I don't know it well enough yet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Being a licensed painter, my experience has been that re-paints do not have the durability of oem paints. No matter how good it looks, it is how it lasts, in my opinion. And when you are changing color (say from white to red) a chip is going to show up drastically. I know shops will guarantee their work , we do, but, look close, it won't cover chipping, crazing, fading, etc. My advice, as a professional is, don't do it. I think you will regret it down the road.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I took every piece off my bike 4 years ago. I believe there were 42 pieces to be painted. Took them to a friends body shop, picked them up in a couple weeks. Put the bike back together and it looked like a brand new bike. Just keep track of all the screws, put them together the way you take them off, it will make putting the bike back together much easier. I ride a lot and my bike still looks great. Even with a trip up the Dalton Highway to the Artic Circle the bike looks great. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Being a licensed painter, my experience has been that re-paints do not have the durability of oem paints. No matter how good it looks, it is how it lasts, in my opinion. And when you are changing color (say from white to red) a chip is going to show up drastically. I know shops will guarantee their work , we do, but, look close, it won't cover chipping, crazing, fading, etc. My advice, as a professional is, don't do it. I think you will regret it down the road.
I can't imagine any paint being worse than the Honda OEM paint on a Goldwing. You have to have a license to spray paint?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
painting a Goldwing

I have rebuilt 5 or 6 Goldwings that were salvaged including my own. It takes me about half a day to take all forty some pieces off and get them to a body shop. I paid $600 to have my bike professionally painted. It was white from the factory and now it is a custom blended black cherry. That was 4 years and 125,000 miles ago and the paint still shines like a show bike.

If you have the time to take it apart and have a good painter, it's a great way to have your bike the exact color you want and look brand new again.....

Kurt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts