GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove one trike conversion and install a different brand?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I would say possible but WHY?

·
Registered
737 Posts
What brand do you have now?
How is that imprortant to the OP question??? If the man wants to change then let's give him good advise not second guess his choice. :evil::evil:

Crazy, I'd think the folks at Road Smith could best answer that question. Of course they might really want to know your present conversion so to better advise you.

Another possible solution.... You might think about selling the present trike and purchasing a new one or replacement one (already converter or not)..

Best of luck on you quest. Either way I hope you find what you are wanting.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The reason for the ?, since you asked so nice, is to help determine if a seamless change to the RoadSmith from what is now there can be accomplished.
Trying to give him good information.
Hope that satifies your curiosity.
But, I see you already answered your own question by your next statement.
"Of course they might really want to know your present conversion so to better advise you."

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
How is that important to the OP question??? If the man wants to change then let's give him good advise not second guess his choice. :evil::evil:.
While I may not be Ddawgs biggest fan I believe his is a valid question,,,, not all kits install the same and some modify the original frame/drivetrain enough that some other kits would not be compatible without serious intervention.

Contacting the manufacturer of choice directly is some great advice :thumbup:

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think individuals get their jollies off by being controversal. Why, I'll never know.

Just the attitude in the writing says a lot about an individual.
Dawg, your comeback was spot on. If you do not know what the OP wants to convert from how can you answer with any accuracy.

I would simply say to the OP, if you are not happy try selling your current trike and purchase the one you like. No matter how you slice it taking one kit off and installing another has to be more expensive. No one is going to buy the removed kit. I have no data to support this view just my 2 cents worth of worthless information. :lol:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
my opinion,
IF there were no changes to the frame etc.. I.E. starting over..
I see no reason one cannot change from one brand to another.

Regards,
Chuck
While your opinion is spot on, I wonder due to tolerance variations in all types of vehicles and within the same brand trike conversions, how many conversions have been done without a tweak here and there to attachment points that would not affect installing a different conversion?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How is that imprortant to the OP question??? If the man wants to change then let's give him good advise not second guess his choice. :evil::evil:

Crazy, I'd think the folks at Road Smith could best answer that question. Of course they might really want to know your present conversion so to better advise you.

Another possible solution.... You might think about selling the present trike and purchasing a new one or replacement one (already converter or not)..

Best of luck on you quest. Either way I hope you find what you are wanting.
I hate to sell, this bike only has 20k on it. Plus it's paid for and has quite a bit of bling on it.

Thanks for the comeback.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Crazy. Should you decide to change trike kits, let me know. I could very well be really interested on buying your trike kit as long as there is no missing parts, damaged parts and kit is complete. I do not care what colour it is painted at present. Looking to buy a bike south of the border and a good used resonably priced kit would definetly do me. Roger. P.M. me at [email protected]

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lehman. The bike is an 01, don't know the year of the conversion.

Thanks

Thank God it was not a CSC. Someone would have posted you are selling it due to something or other not engineered right.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Try a stool softener and come back tomorrow.... geesh.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
If you have a good installer near you, take your trike to him and tell him what you have in mind.
An inspection is needed, re, what I posted above, to ensure mounting points have not been tweaked that would make installing another conversion difficult.
I know you like your present bike part of the trike and do not what to sell it, so I won't go there.
Good luck
Please let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know this is like comparing apples to oranges. I was in a similar sit-e-ation with having a Champion and wanting to go to a Hannigan. In comparing the options of:
a. taking off the Champion kit and replacing it with a Hannigan, or
b. selling the old trike(02/06) with 13K miles, and buying new(10/10)
The bottom line financially worked out better with option b. I also believe that there was an incompatibility in how the two kits attached to the GL1800 frame.
I wish you well in your endeavor
Mike

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I hate to sell, this bike only has 20k on it. Plus it's paid for and has quite a bit of bling on it.

Thanks for the comeback.
While it is possible as others have advised, from the standpoint of economics, replacing the bike/trike appears to make more sense. I doubt that you could sell the trike parts that are removed for much and they will take up lots of room while you try. You should have little trouble selling yours and should also be able to find a low mileage trike equipped as you want it. Typical bling/accessories is/are easily removed. One other point to ponder is that you might have difficulty matching the paint.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The Answer in this case would be Yes it can be done, but is it actually cost effective as mentioned before: A trade off actually or 6 of one; half dozen of the other. Not knowing any thing about a Lehman or how it attach's to the bike frame, there are only just a few attach points on the GL1800 any way. They will be re used with the RoadSmith kit. If an attach point is drilled out on the frame go up a size in bolt. The RS Does not use the Swing arm, so a retro fit can be accomplished, even if the Lehman kit did ( like I said I don't know ), just remove it. As each kit removes different parts from the bike side. You will need to know what is left on your Trike. First is the rear shock actuator, and motor. If that is removed ( like in most kits ) there is a hidden cost + time to acquire, and re-fit. That is just one of the potential Gotcha's.

Can it be done Absolutely! Would it be cost effective; more than likely Not by the time it is all over.

If you were looking at going to a Hannigan... NO. First thing you would have to do is find a swing arm and all of the parts for it to even began, not to mention putting it back in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts