GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing the coolant and ran into a snag. I drained the system and am now trying to refill it. I started pouring new coolant in and only got maybe a cup at the most and it won't take any more. Any suggestions on getting it to accept the required amount? Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Coolant

If it were a car I'd say start the engine let it warm up so that the thermostat opens. I don't see why the GL would be any different, but I'm sure someone with actual GL experience will respond.
bbc

I am in the process of changing the coolant and ran into a snag. I drained the system and am now trying to refill it. I started pouring new coolant in and only got maybe a cup at the most and it won't take any more. Any suggestions on getting it to accept the required amount? Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno Rocket......never had that problem myself. I use a funnel where the tip is a bit past the overflow hose you see right there in the neck of the fill hole. I just pour it kinda slow, but it is about a two minute fill. Then I start the bike up and let the thermostat open, top it off, fill the plastic tank up again. Then take the bike for a ten minute run, let it cool and then check it again. Done.

I read about this problem time to time, I think if you pour too much or block the fill neck so air cannot escape you get that kind of problem. That is why I use a funnel with small long spout.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back guys. I watched your video before I started Fred, and was using a funnel and was trying to go slow like you showed. Here is what I think happened. I had it on my Craftsman lift and noticed that the back was hanging lower than the front. After I got the rear tire back on I lowered the wing with a 4x4 under the rear tire and let the front tire touch the ground. The coolant went in slicker than snot! Thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're probably trying to pour it in too fast. Squeeze the hose to burp it and then start over, and pour it VERY VERY slowly. It can only take it in a small trickle.

Or get a Uview vaccum device, which makes this job much easier.
I have one that has never been used, now if I could just find where I put it!:shrug::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I guess I got lucky, did mine a couple weeks ago. On the center stand, slow pour no funnel and had no problems. When it stopped taking fluid I started it up and let ran until the fans came on. Checked the overflow and then went for a ride, no problems.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys. I watched your video before I started Fred, and was using a funnel and was trying to go slow like you showed. Here is what I think happened. I had it on my Craftsman lift and noticed that the back was hanging lower than the front. After I got the rear tire back on I lowered the wing with a 4x4 under the rear tire and let the front tire touch the ground. The coolant went in slicker than snot! Thanks again fellas!
That makes sense, because the coolant has to travel through a horizontal hose from the filler cap before it gets to the radiator, so of the back of the bike is lower than the front, the coolant won't want to flow into the radiator.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ran into this on a trike'd 1800 once (kinda DIY deal and the rear was low)- my work around was to snake a length of fish-tank air line trough the filler neck/hose length to allow the air trapped forward of that to vent well -- that done, the normal "fill it with a funnel" approach got the ful gallon in there without a worry.

To burp the trike, I just parked it nose-down on a slight grade which prolly could'a been used to fill, if it wasn't dry on the stand when I started working on it.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That makes sense, because the coolant has to travel through a horizontal hose from the filler cap before it gets to the radiator, so of the back of the bike is lower than the front, the coolant won't want to flow into the radiator.

It's always the small details............ isn't it?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts