GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done this a few times but my question is...should I ride it to warm up the oil or just drain it cold? Sorry for the stupid question but want to make sure I get it all out..

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I usually take mine for a 20 mi or so ride to get it warmed up a bit so that it drains faster and any junk that might be in there gets stirred up and comes out too. Once I pull the drain plug I leave it out about 15 min or so to make sure everything is out. Make sure you use a 6 point socket not to damage or round off the bolts.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Don't think it matters. I just change it when its ready (whether I've just ridden the bike or it has been sitting for a day). Honda certainly doesn't care one way or the other so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't think it matters. I just change it when its ready (whether I've just ridden the bike or it has been sitting for a day). Honda certainly doesn't care one way or the other so I don't worry about it.
Yea, the Service Manual doesn't state one way or the other.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do not overtighten the drain plug :eek:4:
When I got this bike the first thing I did was change motor oil and final drive.
I had to end up chiseling the damn thing off. Some ape must of really reefed on it. Fortunetly a friend of mine triked his and had the final drive so borrowed his plug 'till a new one came in...

·
Registered
113 Posts
What kind of OIL

I have had my 06 for a little more than a week, and changed it , with the purple something from the auto store , it said it was ok for motorcycles and it had the hy? in it , cant remeber all of it its been a few days that Ive changed it!!!! :shrug: Do I need to get Honda oil or am I ok ?????

·
Registered
20 Posts
rear end oil change

'06 Navi:
I've changed mine 6 times (every 25K) and haven't warmed it up yet. What I do, though, is after most of it has drained, I squeeze some new oil in and let that drain out, in case there's still some old stuff or something else that shouldn't be there. No problems yet.:bow:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have had my 06 for a little more than a week, and changed it , with the purple something from the auto store , it said it was ok for motorcycles and it had the hy? in it , cant remeber all of it its been a few days that Ive changed it!!!! :shrug: Do I need to get Honda oil or am I ok ?????
Must have GL-5 rating. If not get it out!!:22yikes:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I change it cold.less chance of burning hands on a hot ehaust that you'll be working VERY close too.

And less risk of different metals fighting each other in the release of the drain/fill plugs as well.

You can do it any way you like,But I have never had a problem doing it cold.
Just wait until it stops draining and then refill.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. Did take it for a 11 mile ride. Warmed the oil up some
and drained out good. The last time I changed I did not tighten the fill/drain plugs very tight. They didn't leak a bit either and they came off real easy!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Hot or cold probably does not matter but i change mine usually after a ride it just seems warm oil flows out better :roll:

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
I usually change cold, though I do not think it matters. I take off top bolt then bottom and drain in a disposable cup. And use a small pump oil with a flexible spout can and leave botom bolt unscrewed and wait until I pump out clean Honda gear oil. Then put on bottom bolt and pump in some oil. Manual says 4 oz. I pump 6 oz usually.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have always changed mine while its cold...I change it EVERY oil change...next change, I'm switching it to synthetic....ride safe....

Scott

·
Registered
361 Posts
warm oil

I have done this a few times but my question is...should I ride it to warm up the oil or just drain it cold? Sorry for the stupid question but want to make sure I get it all out..
warm it up first,when its warm it runs thiner,so your draining every drop faster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts