GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie who likes to do simple maintenence myself. My wing has 56 miles on it(bought it just before the winter set in) and have read the owners manuel on changing oil. Any tips I should know about?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's simple. Clean stuff before you take it off. Watch for the washer
on the drain plug, I reuse them until they leak. Get a torque wrench,
Sears has cheap reliable ones. Oil filter wrench is the hardest tool
to find. I like the ones that slip on and get tighter, tried the ones
that go over the end of the filter, kept slipping off.

Do it by the book, it's easy.

Don't ask about what kind of oil :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Forgot, write it up in the manual. Helps when if you sell the bike
and tell people you did the changes if there is a written record.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
germ97702 - save yourself a little grief and spend $10.16 at Honda Direct Line and get the Big Bike Parts Oil Filter wrench, it's perfect for an easy removal of the filter.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/byProduct.asp?prd=Tools&str=4&ID=30028020

Also at the same time order a half dozen or so OEM oil filters from the same place. Both of these have free shipping (or when your order is over $100. its's all free too when some items you buy have a shipping charge).

DaleC

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bulldog - it was fresh in my mind how nice it was because I changed my oil and filter this afternoon. You must not have done it today, therefore it was not....

Right tool for the right job, only way to go!!

DaleC

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I always use a torque wrench. I have a cheap one from Sears. To torque the oil filter you need a cup style spanner. Wal-Mart sells one that will work if you shim it with a paper towel. This is the one with a metal drive hole, size "B". Kmart sells an all metal spanner by Penske. I haven't tried it but plan to.

The owners manual says to put the bike on the center stand. The service manual says to use the side stand. I don't think it makes much difference if the oil is hot and you allow for complete draining. Overnight works for me.

When you fill the crankcase just pour in 4 quarts. Run the engine and check for leaks. Allow the bike to sit at least 30 minutes and then check the level on the center stand. Whenever mine needs checking I will ride, put it on the center stand, idle for a minute then check it the next day. The oil is very slow returning to the crankcase. Most dealers overfill the oil for this reason.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
As stated above, get the slim filter wrench! Beats taking off the cowl!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
CHANGING OIL

Get yourself a good cup wrench and you won't have to remove the front lower cowl. Always drain a warm engine. I do not recommend draining overnight due to the fact that you don't want to start a cold engine with an empty oil filter. Refill immediatly and fire engine up. Not to difficult just take your time and you will be fine. :lol:

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Tater said:
... Whenever mine needs checking I will ride, put it on the center stand, idle for a minute then check it the next day. The oil is very slow returning to the crankcase. Most dealers overfill the oil for this reason.
The crankcase might appear to be overfilled if you wait until the next day to check it.

The correct procedure is to start the engine and let it idle for three to five minutes. Then, wait about two to three minutes after shutting down the engine before checking the level. Like you said, the bike should be on its center stand, and on a level surface.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oil Change

I would add always account for the old rubber o ring on the oil filter removed as well as the seal washer on the drain olug. :D :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I remove the filter with a pair of channel locks. Never removed the front cowel either. That just isn't necessary. Coat the o-ring on the new filter with new oil and install hand tight, just like your truck. Never used a torque wrench on it. It's always plenty tight when I try to take it off the next time.

Most times the drain plug washer will stick to the engine when the plug is removed. You can get it off with your fingernail to clean it of you want.
Weather it sticks or not, don't drop it in your drain pan. It's a mess to fish out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts