GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been changing oil on Cars and Motorcycles for over 40 years.
I have never worn gloves when changing oil.
Today, I went to change the oil in my bike and I have a couple of cracks on my fingers.
You know when your hands dry out they start cracking.
I didn't want to get any oil contamination so I knew my wife had gloves around the house somewhere.
So I called her at work and she told me where they were and I used them.
After I was done with the oil change, with oil getting all over the gloves several times, I removed the gloves and my hands were so soft and smelled so nice, I could not believe it. I will have to find out what brand they are and keep a box in the garage.
Why haven't I been using gloves all along?
Besides oil being a health hazard these days, it sure saves time when cleaning up and coming in the house.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nitrile are the best for almost universal use again most solvents while latex are the worst, and can cause allergies. Also, if you only barely use a pair (not contaminated or sweaty inside, for example), blow into them from the palm side toward your fingers and they'll slightly inflate so you can easily remove them and get more wear out of one or both. They're not expensive but why waste 'em, right? I like how after a dirty job I don't have to live with black grease under my fingernails and cuticle for 7-10 days.

·
Registered
564 Posts
the type used in health care, will dissolve in oil.

only buy Nitrile, and HF has the lowest price

I use the when working anything mechanical, at 78, my skin peels like an onion, and cries just as hard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We buy a couple boxes of each thickness at Harbor Freight in the Large & Extra Large sizes. People that come over to work on their rigs in our garage always comment on why didn't they think of that. Works good while greasing your rigs too.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have been changing oil on Cars and Motorcycles for over 40 years.
I have never worn gloves when changing oil.
Today, I went to change the oil in my bike and I have a couple of cracks on my fingers.
You know when your hands dry out they start cracking.
I didn't want to get any oil contamination so I knew my wife had gloves around the house somewhere.
So I called her at work and she told me where they were and I used them.
After I was done with the oil change, with oil getting all over the gloves several times, I removed the gloves and my hands were so soft and smelled so nice, I could not believe it. I will have to find out what brand they are and keep a box in the garage.
Why haven't I been using gloves all along?
Besides oil being a health hazard these days, it sure saves time when cleaning up and coming in the house.

I've read all the posts to date. Your personal stats ( flyboy ) on this pretty much mirror my own. I keep saying this ...................the stuff one learns from this site !!!! Especially for an old # 2 mechanic like me. I've never even heard of the gloves mentioned. I'm definitely going to HF and try this.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I'm in the heating/plumbing business (well retired now) ..I always wear the gloves, or my hand would have been oily/dirty everyday ..........I don't believe that could possibly be good for us..

Ronnie

·
Registered
827 Posts
Years ago while working on the P-cars I started wearing Gorilla Grip gloves for just about everything except working directly with fluids (oil changes). For that I still use HF nitrile gloves.

The Gorilla Grip gloves are a super stretchy and super thin elastic mesh that covers the back of the hand, and that has been dipped in a thin flexible rubberized material on the face of the palm and fingers.

They protect your skin, keep grease and dirt out of your fingernails, and still provide the tactile feel you need to do fiddly things like working with nuts and bolts in out-of-sight crevices.

They last pretty well, and they usually only get damaged on the back from sharp objects in tight spaces, but I sew them back together pretty easily because I'm cheap like that. They used to be expensive, but I see Amazon has them dirt cheap now.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
While the argument can be made that you can feel things a little better when gripping nuts and bolts is true, I don't mind trading that for a little ease in cleanup afterwards. As @Drair mentioned, having grease under the fingernails meant scrubbing with an old toothbrush and the GoJo dispenser in the Utility room. I also have found some very thick cloth/rubber gloves that don't rip for doing the hard stuff I know will rip the Nitrile gloves.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have a Doctor friend and he has taken swabs off of the pump handle dispensers at gas stations and had them tested. He said he will not touch those dispensers without having nitrile glove or gloves on. He couldn't believe the tests when they came back and did the tests again and he tells everyone to use them when pumping gas.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Have a Doctor friend and he has taken swabs off of the pump handle dispensers at gas stations and had them tested. He said he will not touch those dispensers without having nitrile glove or gloves on. He couldn't believe the tests when they came back and did the tests again and he tells everyone to use them when pumping gas.
That can be said about touching almost anything in public..........can't be a germophobe either.
Try the door handles on any public bathroom...... :oops:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I use my paper towel, ball cap or sleeve to open those doors... All public restroom doors should open OUT so you can nudge them open with your foot.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Costco usually carries a few different kind of gloves. They just got nitrile gloves in medium, large and xlarge size for $7.99 for 25 pairs. Got a box but didn't try them yet...

They have another type, similar to that Gorilla grip ones - rubber on palms, mesh on the top. Also some leather ones... Decent choice, quite good price...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
To each his own, I respect folks not wanting to get sick from touching dirty surfaces and there are things in public places I may not want to touch , but I am a firm believer that if you insulate your self to much from the surrounding environment you will not not build up natural immensities needed to copy with the environment. My folks always told me "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die, get used to it", I am still here after 66 years and seldom sick. MY grand kids, stayed in doors and played video games instead of playing in the dirt out doors , they were sick all the time.
As far as gloves during an oil change, yes that is a good idea, I do not mind getting dirty, but I really do not like the feel of oily or greasy hands.

But that is just me .

·
Registered
827 Posts
I grew up in the dirt, but I started avoiding public restroom doorknobs about ten years ago, and in that time I've only had the flu once, whereas before it was a fairly sure bet I'd get it every year.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I work in a car dealership with about 2 dozen techs and every one of them form old school to new uses latex gloves.
We go through about 6 cases (not boxes) a week. I use them myself as well and as a previous poster said I grew up in the dirt. Ditto too on the public stuff, I avoid it whenever feasible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts