GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, my Honda service manual won't be here for several more days and I want to change my rear drive oil. Do I have to remove the muffler to get at the drain/fill caps? or if I run the rear shock setting up to high will there be enough room to get sockets on the caps?
TIA

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rear Lube

You don't have to take off anything put it up on the center stand and remove the upper and lower drain bolts. To put the lube back in replace lower drain bolt and I use a squirt can and pump the lube back in untill it over flows put the upper bolt back in and clean up what ever mess you made. It is quite easy. Also rotate your back wheel to get any air out and make sure that it is full.

sonney

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Loosen fill plug before removing drain bolt. If you do the reverse and fill plug is stuck you can't refill fluid. Fill plug is some what fragile,be gentle, a six point box end wrench(17mm) is what I find works best.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
No need to remove anything, I change mine at 10K intervals. Two plugs involved fillplug and drainplug. Despite recommendations you don't have to replace the crush washer "seal", I never have. You will need either a lube pump or an oil squirt can to refill the final drive, otherwise it's impossible to get to. It only holds 4 oz.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No need to mess with hoses, bottles, pumps, that just makes it a hassle.

Just an ordinary ole squirt can, one with the bent tip, works well.

Kit

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
No need to mess with hoses, bottles, pumps, that just makes it a hassle.

Just an ordinary ole squirt can, one with the bent tip, works well.

Kit
KIT; I am probably missing something obvious. So far as I know, gear oils do not come supplied in those neat flex neck pump oilers. So I assume you are messing with bottles and pumps when you pour the gear oil from its already spouted squeeze bottle into your pump oiler and then re distributing that gear oil from the pump oiler into the GL1800. Seems to me the thing to do in order to avoid the most messing about would be to simply place about 16" of 3/8" clear vinyl tube upon the original squeeze contianer and then directly transfer the approximate 4fl oz of gear oil into the final drive. Then put the original bottle cap onto the end of the tubing in an inverted fashion. What have I missed that makes the oiler can less fuss and muss? I like to do this in as direct a manner as possible becuase it seems the better the gear oil the more it stinks.

prs

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
All, my Honda service manual won't be here for several more days and I want to change my rear drive oil. Do I have to remove the muffler to get at the drain/fill caps? or if I run the rear shock setting up to high will there be enough room to get sockets on the caps?
TIA
And fair warning; when you get your manual you will notice that Honda has a tendency to instruct us to practically dismantle the GL1800 for many procedures that can be easily accomplished with minimal Tupperware removal. Do your searches on this site first and save time/effort.

prs

·
Registered
143 Posts
An fair warning; when you get your manual you will notice that Honda has a tendency to instruct use to practically dismantle the GL1800 for many procedures that can be easily accomplished with minimal Tupperware removal. Do your searches on this site first and save time/effort.

prs
Good Advice !!

·
Registered
571 Posts
KIT; I am probably missing something obvious. So far as I know, gear oils do not come supplied in thise neat flex neck pump oilers. So I assume you are messing with bottles and pumps when you pour the gear oil from its already spouted swueeze bottle into your pump oiler and then re distributing that gear oil from the pump oiler into the GL1800. Seems to me the thing to in order to avoid the most messing about would be to simply place about 16" of 3/8" clear vinyl tube upon the original squeeze contianer and then directly transfer the approximate 4fl oz or gear oil into the final drive. Then put the original bottle cap onto the end of the tubing in an inverted fashion. What have I missed that makes the oiler can less fuss and muss? I like to do this in as direct a manner as possible becuase it seems the better the gear oil the more it stinks.

prs
+1

·
Registered
376 Posts
Putting a tube on the bottle or using an oil can both work.

With the tube, you have to have it long enough to reach out away from the bike far enough to rotate the bottle. If the drive gets full, you'll need to figure out a way to stop the rest of the fluid in the tube from continuing to run out, either over filling the drive or running out on the floor. Then watch how you pull it out so you don't drip the oil on the floor or on the bike.

With the oil can, you just insert the end of the spout into the fill hole and pump away.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well I've been using the hose method...
only because that's what I had handy.
Open to the suggestion of the pump
oil can...which I assume would be dedicated to
final drive oil...cleaning it would be more of
a mess than the way I do it now.

So, would somone post a picture of the
most preferred pump oil applicator.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Just pick up one of these from the same place you buy your gear oil. They only cost a few dollars. Screw onto the bottle and pump away. No muse, no fuse. Coil the hose through the bottle handle or around the bottle so the hose cannot drip. Put it on your shelf. It is ready for the next oil change. Cake.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well I've been using the hose method...
only because that's what I had handy.
Open to the suggestion of the pump
oil can...which I assume would be dedicated to
final drive oil...cleaning it would be more of
a mess than the way I do it now.

So, would somone post a picture of the
most preferred pump oil applicator.
Thanks
it's just the little squirt oilers that you can get at the cheapie auto supply places like schuck's, checker, pep boys, etc. they're about $5. they work great. if you put in synthetic gear oil (which you will love, by the way - quiets things down quite a bit) you must use a new crush washer every time. synthetics will seep.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanx
I'll try that
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I happen to have friends that work at hospitals. I use syringes and rubber hose tubing. This works great. You might have the same resources.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, All! I think the fluid tranfer pump is the way to go......and many thanks for the advice not to go along with the Honda dismantle-ment and check this board first!

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Putting a tube on the bottle or using an oil can both work.

With the tube, you have to have it long enough to reach out away from the bike far enough to rotate the bottle. If the drive gets full, you'll need to figure out a way to stop the rest of the fluid in the tube from continuing to run out, either over filling the drive or running out on the floor. Then watch how you pull it out so you don't drip the oil on the floor or on the bike.

With the oil can, you just insert the end of the spout into the fill hole and pump away.
Nope! When using the vinyl tube on the end of the squeeze bottles, as soon as you stop squeezing the bottle expands to original volume and vacuums the gesr oil in the line back into the bottle - no runs, no drips, no errors. The mess that can happen with my technique is if you place teh clear tube upon the bottle after the spout is already oily, it will tend to slip off and make a H377 of a mess. I avoided that by using new clean tubing on a new clean spout and I used soapy water on the spout so I could really force the tube all the way to the cap. Once the sopay water dries, its stuck on tight. I have used that same cap and tube on several bottles over the years with my boats and the bikes. The Penzoil pump is neat too, but mine got borrowed... :-(

prs

prs

prs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts