GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to replace the rear tire on my 2010 doing it myself using a HF changer and a Mojo lever and blocks. I haven't used a manual tire changer since I was about 15 years old and that was cars tires. Over the years I've spooned a lot of tires on and off my enduros but have always paid someone to do my street bike tires.

I've googled and searched and read a lot and watched a lot of video's but none of them say or talk about Honda's TPMS. So my question. Is there anything at all I should be aware of while attempting this feat? I really would rather not break anything just because I didn't ask.

TIA,

Pete.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Do not put any tools within 5" of the valve stem (both sides) and you should be good to go.

I'm about to replace the rear tire on my 2010 doing it myself using a HF changer and a Mojo lever and blocks. I haven't used a manual tire changer since I was about 15 years old and that was cars tires. Over the years I've spooned a lot of tires on and off my enduros but have always paid someone to do my street bike tires.

I've googled and searched and read a lot and watched a lot of video's but none of them say or talk about Honda's TPMS. So my question. Is there anything at all I should be aware of while attempting this feat? I really would rather not break anything just because I didn't ask.

TIA,

Pete.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Break the bead opposite of the valve stem!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
All good pointers from others...... when mounting the new tire on, plan on "ending" up at the valve stem. When you are having to use your blocks to keep the tire in the valley, you don't want the TPMS there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the help. It is appreciated.

Pete

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I do not have the TPMS, but encourage you to have patience on this first GL18 tire change and use of the MoJo. Read and follow Preston's instructions and watch Fred's online video (link may be at Preston Drake's site). DO protect your rims from the HF clamps by using MoJo blocks, NoMar spools, or tough leather pads. DO use a nylon strap around a spoke and an arm on the HF unit to prevent the tire from turning. The GL tires are tough! The front is a bit easier, so begin with it, if possible. Tell us how ya did! Once you get the hang of the MoJo, its a sinch.

prs

·
Registered
581 Posts
One trick I learned to keep the wheel from turning on the HF changer, is to put a "U" bolt thru two of the holes where the wheel clamps are adjusted and then slip a 3/8 " (approx) rod thru the clamp. This will keep the wheel from turning when removing or installing a tire.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
One trick I learned to keep the wheel from turning on the HF changer, is to put a "U" bolt thru two of the holes where the wheel clamps are adjusted and then slip a 3/8 " (approx) rod thru the clamp. This will keep the wheel from turning when removing or installing a tire.
Interesting, I just take three turns of a nylon strap around a spoke and the the HF arm and tie it off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought the shop manual for my 2009 which has TPMS. There is a specific writeup for replacing tires and how to work around the TPMS sensor.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the shop manual for my 2009 which has TPMS. There is a specific writeup for replacing tires and how to work around the TPMS sensor.

Thanks Robert, I didn't notice it when I leafed through my manual so I will go back and have another look!

Pete

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Chapter 26 in my '09 manual. There is a "tire replacement" section under the "tire pressure sensor replacement" section. Page 26-19 in my manual.

Thanks Robert, I didn't notice it when I leafed through my manual so I will go back and have another look!

Pete

·
Registered
38 Posts
Changing Tires

Yesterday I replaced both front & rear tires on my 2010 Wing using a CycleHill changer. I've used this changer several times before on non-GW rims and it worked great BUT, putting the new tires on the GW rims was TOUGH! My theory as to the cause is the GW rims don't have a very deep "valley" for the opposite bead to go into which results in much sweat and blood while getting that top bead to go over the edge of the rim. Got them done but it was NOT a five minute job. Managed to destroy the CycleHill "Extra Hand" and mangle the No-Mar pad on the 21 inch Spoon Bar. Used caution to stay away from the TPMS sensors. All is (now) well! Just took a lot longer than I had anticipated.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
As for using blocks to push the tire onto the rear rim, don't be shy about using them. 3 blocks of 3/4" each along the bottom third of the tire to not only push the tire bead into the rim drop zone ( what little there is of it) but to bend the sidewalls down to give you more room at the top of the tire to pry the bead over the rim. Plenty of lube helps, too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've changed 3 rears now on the Cycle Hill changer. My "trick" for putting the new rubber on is to use the wood blocks (you did make those, didn't you) on the underside to make sure the tire is in the relief valley on the far side from the side you're working over the rim. Basically, if you're working to get the last 9oclock to 12oclock on the "top" side of the tire, I have a block on the bottom side at about 4:30

Before I figured that one out I bent one of the 21" bars.

S

·
0 Posts
Breaking the bead is easy - lay the wheel on your driveway over a rug or some rags so you don't scratch the rim.
Lay a 2x6 or 2x8 3' long on the tire close to the rim edge and just drive your car up the ramp. You may have to "help" the 2x by prying between the edge and the rim lip but it will pop. Flip and repeat.
Once this hard part is done just use two irons to slid the tire off and slip the new one on. Good laundry soap or dish soap is mandatory for removal and install.
Works with all tires all vehicles. And it's mostly free

As far as the bike itself - just lay it down on the right side and slide the tire out. Works great and eliminates removal of all the Tupperware and hitches. I just did my rear tire and tried this for the first time and was amazed how easy it was. Standing the bike up was a slam dunk but you have to use the "trick" method of walking it up.

http://www.mufflerbelt.com/TireChange/tirechange.htm

·
Vendor
21,885 Posts
I filmed complete tire replacement on my 2009 with TPMs and included it in my video on disc 18. On it, I show the precautions you need to take so you don't break a sensor. I also have a pretty good photo gallery on line you might want to look at:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

By the way, my videos are currently on sale for the next 2 days.
http://www.angelridevideos.com/

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I filmed complete tire replacement on my 2009 with TPMs and included it in my video on disc 18. On it, I show the precautions you need to take so you don't break a sensor. I also have a pretty good photo gallery on line you might want to look at:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

By the way, my videos are currently on sale for the next 2 days.
http://www.angelridevideos.com/

Thank you Fred, as it happens I bought your video set last fall and have them right here beside me at my desk. While I have watched disc 8 on tire changes I have not watched 18. When I read the title it didn't occur to me that it would include info I was looking for.

Thanks again,

Pete.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've gone and done it! :eek: And I'm glad I did! :excited: :thumbup: When ever I done tire changes in the past it has been a four to five hour job depending wether it was one or two tires getting done and the last time it cost me $63 with taxes on top of everything else.

Well this morning I decided to do the rear tire on my Wing myself and it ended up taking a little over four hours start to finish. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. :lol:

First I watched Fred's DVD on the subject twice ( thanks again Fred ), then I drove to Castlegar and bought some Ru Glyde, then I packed a whole lot of stuff to my upper garage where I bolted my HF changer to the floor. Went to remove the wheel from the bike and discovered that my 3/4" socket has gone missing.

So drove into Trail to Crappy Tire and bought a 19mm socket, had a burger for lunch and took my wife her lunch.

Back home again, removed wheel, broke the bead, mounted it on the changer, removed old tire, took the new tire which had been sitting in the sun for the last couple hours and mounted it on the wheel. After setting the bead and filling the tire with air I took the time to wash the wheel which had not been done since new. Then I checked the pressure again and then put the wheel back on the bike torquing to 80 lbs.

All together it took about a half hour to forty five min to switch the two tires on the rim. I followed Fred's DVD as close as I could and it went just the way it did for Fred. That Mojo Bar is just as good as they say it is and I can't imagine doing the job with out it.

Before starting this project I watched a lot of video's and read more than a few write ups on the subject. The No Mar video especially made me very nervous about doing this job but you know it really is just as easy as Fred makes it look in his video. The guys at No Mar should try the Mojo Lever, they would never go back to their way of doing it I'm sure!

Now that I've done it once and have all the things I need in one spot I'm sure I can cut the time in half to do the job but I will still take my time and try not to screw anything up.

I'm really happy with the HF changer and the Mojo lever, Mojo blocks and would recommend these products whole heartedly. :thumbup:

Thanks again guys for taking the time to help me out,

Pete.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can you still buy a HF changer and how much are they. I've heard their junk. but if you can mod. it to work without doing to much I may look at getting one.
I do like the NoMar but just don't have the money but without a doubt would get a MoJo Bar :shrug:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you still buy a HF changer and how much are they. I've heard their junk. but if you can mod. it to work without doing to much I may look at getting one.
I do like the NoMar but just don't have the money but without a doubt would get a MoJo Bar :shrug:
I don't know if the HF changer is still available, I don't think it is. I have read on this forum that HF has discontinued it.

As far as being junk, ya I'm sure that to some people it is, there are a lot of people that will only buy the best according to their standards and everything else is junk. For me it did the job well and after installing mojo blocks on it I do not have to worry about scratching the rims with it.

I plan on doing lots of riding with the money I saved buying it over one of the other best brands. In fact I'm going to go scrub that new tire in right now with a day ride. :-D

Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts