GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the hitch (2012) have to be removed to change out a rear tire?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No, although you will either need a lift or lay the bike over on the right side. With a hitch, the tire must be removed from under the bike.

S

·
0 Posts
No, although you will either need a lift or lay the bike over on the right side. With a hitch, the tire must be removed from under the bike.
Laying the bike on it's side may seem drastic but it does work very well and is actually safer. No worry about pushing the bike off the center stand, especially if your installing a CT.
I did mine this way recently and it was no worse than changing a tire on the car. No need to remove the hitch or fender section at all.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
laying the bike on it's side works well but you may want to let the pre load down on the rear shock, I had mine up all the way to break the lug nuts loose and forgot to let it back down before laying it over, had to have help to get stand it back up.

S

·
0 Posts
There is a method to tipping it back up - I think there are many posts showing a 110lb lady doing it. It's all done with the legs by backing into the seat and pushing it right up. No need to adjust the shock preload.

http://ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

Works like a charm

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have unfortunately had to stand my back up a couple of times but when I layed it over to install the CT the pre load was all the way down and the tire was contacting the concrete before I could pick it up, I had watched the video also and never had a problem till that day, needed my Wheaties I guess.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Laying the bike on it's side may seem drastic but it does work very well and is actually safer. No worry about pushing the bike off the center stand, especially if your installing a CT.
I did mine this way recently and it was no worse than changing a tire on the car. No need to remove the hitch or fender section at all.
:agree:

I've changed my tire with the bike on a lift, not stable, afraid it was going to nosedive off the jack. Took the tire out the back, hassle, remove the hitch, fender section, amp, inner fender. Laid the bike on it's side and pulled it out, piece-of-cake. I know what method I'm using from now on.

Mack

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
does the hitch (2012) have to be removed to change out a rear tire?
I can't see there being a substantial amount of difference between rear wheel removal/installation issues & challenges between a 2012 and any other model of GL1800.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THIS is my first goldwing, the reason i'm asking such stupid and trivial questions. I will also be getting tires for life from the dealer. i would just like to know ahead of time if the daler is going to charge me an extra $400 for a change out because the hitch has to be removed.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Most dealers charge as much for changing a rear tire on an 1800 as they do on other bikes which is a rip off.

Relative to laying the bike over, if you do it on some 4 by 6 lumber blocks, it is much easier on the bike and on lifting it back up. The lumber is easy on the chrome. Be sure it is in 1st gear also.

Be sure to flip the center stand down after laying the bike over to get the rear wheel free of the ground, and be very sure to retract it before picking the bike up. I have a friend that picked his bike back up with the center stand still down and did not realize it until the bike came down on the feet of the stand. Risky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts