GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen the video on you tube with the guy laying the bike on its side, that brings me to my first question. wont you scratch anything doing this, it sure looks like it?
i have a jack from sears that i used on my vtx1800, do any of you use a jack to lift your bike up to change your tire out?
i have a 2010 i just bought so i am not ready but just thinking a head.
i did just put 4000 miles on it on a trip to colorado from michigan, what a great ride.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use my motorcycle jack for changing tired,just make sure you use the straps & strap it down so it won't do a wheelie or stoppie on you when you take a wheel off.lol

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes, plenty use a jack. I don't have one and certainly don't carry one with me.

It is possible to scratch the bike, but the engine/saddlebag guards work well. Many use a blanket or cardboard mat to solve some of the chances. I use 2 2X6 short boarsds (about a foot long each because that is what was lying around). Put them under the guards and have at it. The boards also take out the chance of damage or moving the highway bars.

Just go slow in laying her down and take your time. Even then it is a 10-15 minute job. It looks spooky but isn't.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I use a jack to take the wheels off. Recently removed both front and rear and did not even strap the bike to the jack.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Flop

Jack is too much work. I just flop her over on the right side onto a blanket. Don't have to remove anything but the wheel nuts. If you pick bike up a bit and put the center stand down as a prop, it helps. I just remove the left muffler for easier access, but not required.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have only laid it down once to change wheel and tire with no problem. Like it was said in previous post, the center stand helps. I did not have to take off the muffler.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a nice front lawn that has a very lush green grass growing out of it. Lay the bike down nice and easy and just pull up slightly on the bottom frame and pull down the center stand. You now have the bike still on the guards and nothing else touching. I have never had to remove a muffler or any thing else. Get you a breaker bar and 19mm deep well socket and get after it. That is probably one of the easiest things to do on a wing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bags

I lay mine down on bags of dog food, grass seed, whatever. If you have high-way pegs, remove them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I only had to remove the highway peg on the right side of bike when I laid it over for wheel removal. I didn't see a need to remove the left one.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I don't have the amp in the way on mine, so I remove the trap door most of the time. Laying it over works great too and does not bother my K model ****-O-Pegs. My Sears red lift is pretty much junk and I don't trust it for more than just lifting the bikes enough to use a Peps-X stand.

prs

·
Registered
71 Posts
As per manual........
Tie the centerstand locked. Have the bike stand on a 1" board, remove centerpiece in back.
No rush as i take my time doing this. Inspect saddlebag subframe and all other accessible area while in the process.
Don´t like the idea of the bike on it´s side:?
But that is just me.:cool:

From the Land of Ice and Fire
Eagleman

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use a J&S lift when I remove my rear wheel. I usually try to loosen the lug nuts with the rear wheel on the ground because of the amount of force required to break them loose. I've done it on the lift a number of times, but it is quite a bit of force. I also have a wood block cut so that I can place it between the brake pedal and the block so that the brakes will help hold the rear wheel as I break the lug nuts loose. But I like working with the lift...it does make it easy. I'm a little uncomfortable about laying my bike over for that long. I know a lot of folks have done it on the board without any problems, so I'm sure it must be ok. I would do it in a pinch, but still like using the lift.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a pit bull lift and use it when Im at home. But I have layed the bike ove just so I know I can when Im onthe road.
So far the only flat Ive ever had out on the road was last year. I was not too far from home so called the wife and had her bring the pit bull to me. Dont want to lay it down unless I have to.

S

·
0 Posts
Jack is too much work. I just flop her over on the right side onto a blanket. Don't have to remove anything but the wheel nuts. If you pick bike up a bit and put the center stand down as a prop, it helps. I just remove the left muffler for easier access, but not required.
I tried this on the last tire change and it works great - nothing even comes close to being scratched as the bike sits on the crash bars. I just put a piece of cardboard under each crash bar point and laid it down.
Easiest tire change ever :thumbup:

BTW this is a great practice operations just in case you have a tire problem on the road. It will save you millions in tow truck and garage fees.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have changed the rear tire/wheel both ways and I must say it is much easier and quicker, for me, to lay the bike over on its side. I used a pair of welding gloves under the crash bars. Use whatever you have handy.
I did run into one problem. Because of my disabilities, I was not able to lift the lower part of the bike to set it on the center stand. I had to use a pry bar under the rear tire to lift the bike and swing the center stand out.
Good luck with whatever method you use.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have changed the rear tire/wheel both ways and I must say it is much easier and quicker, for me, to lay the bike over on its side. I used a pair of welding gloves under the crash bars. Use whatever you have handy.
I did run into one problem. Because of my disabilities, I was not able to lift the lower part of the bike to set it on the center stand. I had to use a pry bar under the rear tire to lift the bike and swing the center stand out.
Good luck with whatever method you use.:thumbup:
I'm curious...why would the centerstand be down?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts