GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my oil filter without draining the crankcase. If I pull the oil filter off with the crank case full, will I get oil from the filter port? Will the crank case drain out or will I get just a small amount?

Before you ask, I'll admit my mistake. I was yapping to some friends while changing my oil. After draining the old oil, I replaced the drain plug and added new oil before I changed the filter. I noticed my mistake later that day when I was putting my tools away and found the new oil filter sitting there next to the oil filter wrench. Was it a senior moment or a brain cramp? Both.
Now, I want to change the filter. I know there is a small amount of dirty oil in my fresh oil. I still want to change the filter without draining the fresh oil.

When you're done laughing, help me out with your knowledge.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is my understanding …when you pull the filter, you should not loose much/any oil… Never tried it either….. put a clean catch basin under the filter and hope for the best!

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
put a little aluminum throw away pan under it to see how much you lose. poor it back in or add more (will have to add what was in filter ) let us know how it goes for reference

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would chalk it up to "stupid tax" and replace all the oil and filter....
Why should I replace all the oil? We're talking $40 for a gallon of Amsoil...All I want to know for sure is if I pull the filter will all the oil dump out?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Go ahead and change your filter, you will only get a little of the oil that's in the filter that's it. Just don't forget to replace the oil that did drain out.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Personally I would not even bother. Just leave the filter on until the next change.

schiel1 on My Samsung 3

·
Registered
679 Posts
I need to change my oil filter without draining the crankcase. If I pull the oil filter off with the crank case full, will I get oil from the filter port? Will the crank case drain out or will I get just a small amount?

Before you ask, I'll admit my mistake. I was yapping to some friends while changing my oil. After draining the old oil, I replaced the drain plug and added new oil before I changed the filter. I noticed my mistake later that day when I was putting my tools away and found the new oil filter sitting there next to the oil filter wrench. Was it a senior moment or a brain cramp? Both.
Now, I want to change the filter. I know there is a small amount of dirty oil in my fresh oil. I still want to change the filter without draining the fresh oil.

When you're done laughing, help me out with your knowledge.
A little comes out.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Personally I would not even bother. Just leave the filter on until the next change. schiel1 on My Samsung 3
Same here.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
Not much oil will be lost, I definitely would not attempt to catch the lost oil and pour it back in because who knows what kind of dirt could be in it :shock:

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you really want to not worry about making a mess, go to the grocery store and buy a 2-3 dollar aluminum foil pan, drain the oil into that, change the filter and put the oil back.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Have your new filter in your hand when you remove the old one, and be quick, I doubt you'll loose much oil at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil Filter

Don't waste your time or your money. Just leave the old filter in place until the next oil change, which I"m sure will be in 3,000 miles. It can't possibly make that much difference in the life and/or performance of the motor.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Lay the bike on its right side as you would do to remove the rear tire. That puts the oil filter on the high side and very easy to access. Then you'll only lose the oil in the filter.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Ditto, but I hope he changed the crush washer :shock: :roll:
Crush Washer? You mean here's a Crush Washer that needs to be changed? OMG!
:roll:
I've been changing my Oil and Filter now many times and I've not replaced any Crush Washers.
:hun1:
I've probably voided my Warranty and will now almost certainly suffer all manner of mechanical maladies . . . Oh Dear what ever is to become of me and my bike? I must know . . . What penance must be paid?
:eek:4:

Reactions: DALankford

·
Registered
430 Posts
Crush Washer? You mean here's a Crush Washer that needs to be changed? OMG!
:roll:
I've been changing my Oil and Filter now many times and I've not replaced any Crush Washers.
:hun1:
I've probably voided my Warranty and will now almost certainly suffer all manner of mechanical maladies . . . Oh Dear what ever is to become of me and my bike? I must know . . . What penance must be paid?
:eek:4:
2013 and you've already changed the oil? And filters? Actually, crush washers are there to make OCD folks feel better about themselves when they replace them every time. I suppose you use the everyday Rotella T in the bike! Heavens to Betsy! Now if your conscience gets the better of you, better use genuine Honda OEM crush washers to be sure the warranty isn't voided. Mine's run out, so I don't have a care in the world. I did replace a suspected leaker with a spare for my Ridgeline. Hope I don't crash and burn.

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Oil filter change

PULL THE HEADS!!!! Sorry I got carried away.:lol:

In the old days, yea, I'm old. You changed the filter every other oil change. Just pretend it's 1962 and leave it till the next one.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Someone said he's going to change it in 3000 miles anyway. I doubt that at $40.00 a gallon. Think Amsoil is real high mileage oil and anyway, Mother Honda recommends 8000 mile oil changes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts