GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running Hondaline oil in my '06 for the last 12k miles, I have decided to change over to Rotella. Just wondering if I should try and flush it with few extra quarts of the new stuff, or just change it and ride as usual? Also, any suggestions on oil weight for the hot south Texas summer would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Do a normal oil change. Don't make it complicated. 15W-40 Rotella T (white jug) or the 5W-40 RotellaT Synthetic (blue jug) will both do you well. Some like the syn, some think it is too thin on the low side. It keeps diesel engines from coming un-made, should be plenty tough enough. Both these are JASO MA certified, if that is something you are concerned with.

Welcome to the Madd House. :a13:

Oh, the games may begin. A good oil thread is hard to beat LOL don't let yourself get ruffled. They really mean well. :lol:

Best Wishes

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I have been using the Rotella 5w-40 syn in my bike for a few years with great success, just tried the 15w-40 dino oil just to see, I'll be switching back at the next change.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
You can also run the T5 rotella semi synthetic 10w30 if you want to follow the grade recommended. I've done this for 25,000 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I recently switched from Mobil 1 Syn to Rotella T5. Maybe it's my imagination, but it shifts much smoother now. IMHO.

Wally World price was right too....:thumbup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
just remember to install a quality oil filter to remove the abrasive stuff that wears off of the clutch......

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Do a normal oil change. Don't make it complicated. 15W-40 Rotella T (white jug) or the 5W-40 RotellaT Synthetic (blue jug) will both do you well. Some like the syn, some think it is too thin on the low side. It keeps diesel engines from coming un-made, should be plenty tough enough. Both these are JASO MA certified, if that is something you are concerned with.

Welcome to the Madd House. :a13:

Oh, the games may begin. A good oil thread is hard to beat LOL don't let yourself get ruffled. They really mean well. :lol:

Best Wishes

Too thin?.......Doubt how thin an oil is at start up is ever a concern.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Too thin?.......Doubt how thin an oil is at start up is ever a concern.

I agree. I like the T6. I was only repeating some concerns that I have heard folks talk about on this board. Most don't really matter and I really don't pay much attention to them but there is one that although I dissagree with on some things I still hold his opinion in high regard. His opinion is that it is thinner stock to start with. The old days of heavy oil are gone. Tolerence is tight and the stuff has to get through the tolerence to be able to work. For the most part a normal person won't have problems or notice anything, but you never know when you will be the unlucky one who finds this out the hard way.

If'n it is hot the oil won't be at a 5W. I also hear a lot about shifting. I have not noticed any difference after about 1K in the shifting with different oil. It may seem better before that, but the new oil smell makes everthing work better LOL.

That was more a general statement than a personal endorsement.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I recently switched from Mobil 1 Syn to Rotella T5. Maybe it's my imagination, but it shifts much smoother now. IMHO.

Wally World price was right too....:thumbup:
You may be on to something there I switched from Rotella to Mobil 1 and shifting is smoother for me. Maybe its my imagination also.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have been running Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w50 in both bikes for 3 years with no problems. The wing seems to be less clunky when shifting. Running in 100 plus temps no problem......for the bike:lol:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
For the engine, 5w won't matter but for transmission a higher base oil will protect it better. Shear strength is higher and that's what's important to the tranny. Not saying it'll break, just saying for the tranny heavy base stock oils are better. If you live on the south, why even consider a 5w base oil, that makes no sense. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was using using Mobil 15W-50 synthetic for 8 years in my GL but I can't buy find that stuff around here anymore. Just swithced to Rotella T 5W-40 blue jug this week-so far everything if just fine.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
For the engine, 5w won't matter but for transmission a higher base oil will protect it better. Shear strength is higher and that's what's important to the tranny. Not saying it'll break, just saying for the tranny heavy base stock oils are better. If you live on the south, why even consider a 5w base oil, that makes no sense. Just my opinion.
Wonder how Honda gets by with running ATF in the cars where it also lubs the ring and pinon gears in the rear drive. Its well known that most wear happens at start up. Thinner oil flows quicker than thick.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Wonder how Honda gets by with running ATF in the cars where it also lubs the ring and pinon gears in the rear drive. Its well known that most wear happens at start up. Thinner oil flows quicker than thick.

Those are sychomech transmissions designed for ATF.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I think Too Tall's concern about the 5W being too thin is not applicable to these heavy duty motor oils that are designed to be compatible with wet clutch pack trannies and/or wet brakes such as with skid loaders and tractors. Its good stuff and tough stuff too.

prs

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I am running hondas 10-30 full syn in my bike now. It does not shift any better than it did with the shell 5-40 syn. Only diff i notice with the shell is the oil lite goes quicker. So guess what oil i will be useing:coffee1::coffee1::coffee1:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts