GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read lots of information from you guys on this site about front tires, and just recently a little information about rear tires. However, I have never seen anything about changing rear tire and wheel sizes. I am having my 2006 Wing triked with CSC conversion. The standard rear tires are 205/60R 15 Sigma All-season mounted on 15 X 6.5 wheels. I want to change the look a little and go with 205/40R 17 Goodyear tires mounted on 17 X 7 wheels. The tire dealer I am dealing with says with the proper wheel, they will fit. My question is - has anyone else done a similar change, and if so what effect would the lower profile sidewalls of the 40 make on handling and performance? Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
John, on my 99 CSC, I went from a 14" to a 15" low profile and had about 30K on them when I sold the trike. I did not have a bit of trouble with the bigger size and in fact I liked the way it handled better than before. Going to a 17" just might be different but the only way to find out is to try it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tire Size

I may be wrong, but I don't think you will get them inside the rear fenders. I have a 06 CSC kit and I wanted to go up one size bigger on just the tire from a 205 to a 215. There just is not enoght clearance. You have to play with the lft wheel and tire to just get it out from under the fender.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tire sizes

I have a trike shop kit on mine and it has the 17 x 7 wheels
with low profile tires. Not sure what size tires but if you have an interest I will check and see. You can get a visual on there web site as they are showing the upgraded wheels in there pics.

Stan

www.trikeshop.com

C

·
0 Posts
As a CAUTION.... BE CAREFULL about the offset
The offset is the distance from the REAR of the rim to the BACK of the bolt surface. Offsets the distance of the tire from the centerline of the rotor/brake drum.

It CRITICAL... If its too far from the trike mfg suggested locations you WILL get tire rub (perhaps against other critical parts).
It really depends on how tight the mechanicals, and the surrounding fiberglass are to the tire, IN ALL 3 DIRECTIONS, and you must take into consideration dynamic bouncing of the trike and will some part hit the tire.

This is especially true of Motortrike, they suggest an offset of 5.5 inches and THEY MEAN 5.5 INCHES, not 5, not 6, dont ask how I know.

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
cjmitch said:
As a CAUTION.... BE CAREFULL about the offset
The offset is the distance from the REAR of the rim to the BACK of the bolt surface. Offsets the distance of the tire from the centerline of the rotor/brake drum.

It CRITICAL... If its too far from the trike mfg suggested locations you WILL get tire rub (perhaps against other critical parts).
It really depends on how tight the mechanicals, and the surrounding fiberglass are to the tire, IN ALL 3 DIRECTIONS, and you must take into consideration dynamic bouncing of the trike and will some part hit the tire.

This is especially true of Motortrike, they suggest an offset of 5.5 inches and THEY MEAN 5.5 INCHES, not 5, not 6, dont ask how I know.
I agree, this is critical. It took me about 4 months to find the correct rims for the offset I needed but it was well worth the effort. I never had the new tires rub. Again, this was on my 99 w/a 2000 CSC Trike Kit. I am completely satisfied with the way my Champion wheels look so I don't have to worry going through the hassle again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't have any idea anyone would want to play these games, about maybe some bigger wheel & tire might fit, or maybe some off-set might work. There's a reason why any trike designer engineers the trike set-up for a certain wheel, and design/ size, PERIOD. Of course when you start to change stuff like that, you will have wheels that won't bolt up, tires that will rub the body, or just will not fit underneath that limited space wheelwell. If you want chrome wheel, or something more fancy, they should ordered, with the trike kit, as an upgrade.

Just as SMSgtE8 says about the Champion wheels, I believe they are perfect just the way they are.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
255 Posts
goldwing2000 said:
I don't have any idea anyone would want to play these games, about maybe some bigger wheel & tire might fit, or maybe some off-set might work. There's a reason why any trike designer engineers the trike set-up for a certain wheel, and design/ size, PERIOD. Of course when you start to change stuff like that, you will have wheels that won't bolt up, tires that will rub the body, or just will not fit underneath that limited space wheelwell. If you want chrome wheel, or something more fancy, they should ordered, with the trike kit, as an upgrade.

Just as SMSgtE8 says about the Champion wheels, I believe they are perfect just the way they are.

Ride safe.
Maybe for the same reason folks want to change the wheel/tire combinations on their auto's or truck's. I like the wheels on my trike, I did not like the wheels on my truck nor did I like the fact that they were 15" and therefore changed both wheels and tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
goldwing2000 said:

Ride safe.

This reminds me of when I was a bass fisherman (or thought I was). I was forever adding, changing, modifying, etc. Woke up one day and realized I was enjoying fooling with boat and not the fishing, soooo, boat was sold and I moved on to other "fun" pursuits. LOL

Gil

C

·
0 Posts
goldwing2000 said:
I don't have any idea anyone would want to play these games, about maybe some bigger wheel & tire might fit, or maybe some off-set might work. There's a reason why any trike designer engineers the trike set-up for a certain wheel, and design/ size, PERIOD. Of course when you start to change stuff like that, you will have wheels that won't bolt up, tires that will rub the body, or just will not fit underneath that limited space wheelwell.
What TF are you ranting about.... what games....???
Take a CHILL PILL
I mearly stated that is someone wanted to get a different wheel they had to take into account the offset measurement when they went to look for one. Then you go on some rant about why would anyone want to change this or that.

I guess when you replaced the tires on your car or Wing you went to the dealer so you could by the set of tires that came with the car originally. Of course you didnt but arent you afraid of changing the specs, and the designers intentions?
Dont be silly of course you arent.

To change the wheels on a bike is just like changing the tires as long as you get the same size (specs) you have no problem.

The issue is most wheel dealers catalogs spec tires/RIMS based apon the make and model of your car...
Well trikes have no such listing in their database. therefore if you want to get a different STYLE of rims yo have to buy them by the specifications, from the TRIKE manufacturer, size/lug pattern/offset.
Where did I get this information....??? HUMMMM
MOTOR-TRIKE....
They seem to have no problem with changing wheel styles, so why do you?

goldwing2000 said:
If you want chrome wheel, or something more fancy, they should ordered, with the trike kit, as an upgrade.
Ride safe.
Who are you to tell anyone what they should like, and or order?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't mean to create an argument

Hey guys: I didn't mean to create an argument with my question about possibly changing wheels and tires on my CSC Trike. Just like my original Wing, which we all want to dress up as uniquely as possible to make it "our bIke", I just thought about changing the wheels and tires to give it a different and unique look. I am certainly going to check with my installer and tire people to make sure there would be proper back set and clearance. My real question was about handling and performance. From what I am reading, I don't see anyone saying that changing the size will effect either of those. Again, many thanks for the information. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Re: Didn't mean to create an argument

ShysterJohn said:
Hey guys: I didn't mean to create an argument with my question about possibly changing wheels and tires on my CSC Trike. Just like my original Wing, which we all want to dress up as uniquely as possible to make it "our bIke", I just thought about changing the wheels and tires to give it a different and unique look. I am certainly going to check with my installer and tire people to make sure there would be proper back set and clearance. My real question was about handling and performance. From what I am reading, I don't see anyone saying that changing the size will effect either of those. Again, many thanks for the information. :D
HEE HEH...
noooo problem... this is just Typical gl1800riders banter..
here is a little clairity on terms

BACKSPACE
Backspacing also called rearspacing, it is the distance from the mounting pad to the back edge of the rim. This is different than wheel offset.

OFFSET
The offset of a wheel is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the true centerline of the rim. A positive offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is positioned in front of the true centerline of the rim / tire assembly. This in effect brings the tire in to the fender well more. Conversely, a negative offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is behind the true centerline of the rim / tire assembly. This will cause the tire to stick out away from the vehicle.

This is from the following website
http://www.1010tires.com/glossary.asp

I

·
0 Posts
goldwing2000 said:

Ride safe.

BINGO!

C

·
0 Posts
IBTrike said:
goldwing2000 said:

Ride safe.

BINGO!
No WRONGO!!!!!!! :22yikes:

No if you follow the INSTRUCTIONS your trike manufacturer GIVES you. You can have a different size of tire/rim that WILL function perfectly, but you have to be within certain tolerances, IE bolt pattern, width/diameter and offset.

Funny I dont hear you guys whining about traxxon springs, They're not OEM, or manufacturer reccommended, but let someone talk about changing a rim and the "voices of doom erupt" Sheesh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts