Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying leather chaps. Seems a bit much while riding a GL1800 but I am thinking of it as a safety issue. How many of you ride with chaps?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I always wear chaps when it is cool. They do a real good job of breaking the wind. I should probably wear them all of the time but like most people I get too hot in the summer. I keep telling myself, "you should wear them all of the time". Same way with leather jacket of similar item. I am guilty of not wearing one of them as often as I should.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
kinda like Ross...I wear chaps mostly when cool and not when warm :oops:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wear a leather jacket when the temp is in the 50s and 60s, add the chaps when it is in the 40s, and drag out the riding suit when it is in the 30s. In warm weather I usually wear long sleeves, long pants, boots, and a full face helmet. That's all I can take in hot weather.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Full Leather Pants almost always!!!! If it gets way hot I just wet myself down. Instant swamp-cooler.

Dead animal sliding on road... hurts less than live human.

·
Registered
322 Posts
chaps

I use First gear overpants wamer and more protection just look at what the people rideing BMW wear.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I've got a pair of chaps that are "more holy than righteous." They are vented and work well for temps between 40-80 degrees. After that they get kind of warm. I also have a set of Joe Rocket Pants that I just got and will be wearing these more often, either with or without jeans.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No need for chaps on the Wing except for road rash protection. I use flannel lined Jeans when its cool. Even in 35 deg temps I am warmer with the lined jeans than with chaps over top of the same jeans. The leather cuts the wind very good but when the chaps get cold its no good.
THE PRECIDING IS THE RESULTS OF A ROAD TEST DONE IN DECEMBER OF LAST YEAR. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Used to wear chaps for "cool weather" riding, but switched to leather overpants for safety. Wear them most of the time, they unzip both ways for the full length of the leg, so I have the ability to add a little ventilation. Timbuktu overpants from Roadgear, a little pricey but very well made and like Quickdraw said:

Dead animal sliding on road... hurts less than live human.
http://www.roadgear.com/apparel/leather/index.cfm?entity=2&This_TopicOrder=2

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wrap Chaps

In Louisiana it very rarely gets cold enough for chaps. But on occasion they are needed and I like to ride in any weather even the cold. I recently purchased some Wrap Chaps and they are great. They are made from quilted nylon and are secured with Vel-Cro. Very comfortable and warm. And if you are a big guy like me you may have difficulty locating leather chaps to fit you properly. No problem with Wrap Chaps.

Tom

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think----No to leather chaps. Use the new textiles all the time.
Leather gets heavy when wet. Up date/upgrade to something like the Joe Rockets. MHO Joy

·
Registered
368 Posts
I prefer leather overpants . . .

On cool days I wear Joe Rocket leather overpants, not much more expensive than chaps and durable. Chaps have a gap in an area that I prefer to keep warm.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i dont feel the need for them, myself.

if it makes you feel better to ride with them on the safety thing, then that piece of mind will be very important.

i dont have that frame of mind to be concerned with what would happen if.......

i feel if i get in a serious accident, road rash may be a very minor concern at that time.

if i were to worry about things every time i went out, i would stick to rideing the grand prix with the airbags. and sell the bikes.

loren

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have a pair I keep in the right saddlebag. They're more of a leftover from my cruiser "uniform" than a nescessity, but if it's a little chilly or if it's raining, I'll put them on. I should probably invest in some cooler protectiove riding gear that I'll be inclined to wear more often.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We wear chaps in the cooler weather. Keep us plenty warm for cold weather riding not good for summer riding. I'm thinking of getting a pair of mesh pants for riding this summer I'm thinking they'll be much more comfortable than jeans or leather.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Chaps

I wear chaps in cool weather over Draggin Jeans. In warm weather I wear just Draggin Jeans, sometimes with the optional padding in the knee.

I just ordered a pair of leather jeans, we'll see how they work out.

I have several jackets. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix for really hot, A honda jacket with armour, and the obligitory leather riding jacket.

I have switched to a full face helmet nearly full time now.

I also have a Draggin Jeans kevlar shirt. Cool enough for summer.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have a pretty good rain suit. So if it's a little on the cool side I will wear
the bottoms. Then just take them off when it warms. Works for me and it saves space. You have to carry rain gear at all times in my opinion, so why carry two article of cloth's when one will do. Yaaaaa I realize there not leather, but it still works for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm originally from PA and up there I rode a Beemer all year 'round, except when there was snow or salt on the roads. I had a pair of leather pants made many years ago but found out very quickly that these pants didn't work very well when the temperature was 50 degrees early in the morning and 75 in the afternoon. When the sun comes out and it gets warmer the lining just sticks to your legs and it's very uncomfortable to ride and even worse when you go to get on or off your bike. I went back to the leather shop and had a pair of chaps made and found them to work much better. Warm in the cold weather and very easy to remove when it got warmer.

I now live in FL, ride an 1800 trike and carry my chaps in the trunk. I've used them when riding to rallies in the early spring in Tennessee and Missouri. Haven't used them very often here in FL, usually just put the rain pants on. If I were to buy a pair of chaps for warmth these days, I wouldn't go with leather. I'd go with one of the new fabrics - Sue

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought leather coats and chaps last year for me and my wife. I like them in cool weather. We wore them in warmer weather while riding and took them off as soon as we stopped.
I wish I would have inquired more into the coole Kevlar type before I bought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts