GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just bought my first set of chaps. What's the easiest way to get into these darn things? Do you step into the left and right side and then fasten the belt, or fasten the belt and zip/snap the sides? Getting into these is the most awkward thing in the world for me. I hope I get used to them before the cold weather comes another month or so from now. Probably should've just bought a full set of leathers and been done with it...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Okay, I just bought my first set of chaps. What's the easiest way to get into these darn things? Do you step into the left and right side and then fasten the belt, or fasten the belt and zip/snap the sides? Getting into these is the most awkward thing in the world for me. I hope I get used to them before the cold weather comes another month or so from now. Probably should've just bought a full set of leathers and been done with it...
LOL,,Put the belt on first & zip legs..

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Buckle the belt, twist the zippers as close to the front as you can to reach them easily. Snaps last, if you have them.

They're supposed to be quick and easy. That's the only advantage over leathers - and cheaper.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
You are probably going to get a ton of jokes about the chaps but I have a pair also and they work great to cut the wind and offer decent skid protection. I buckle the belt and then zip up the zippers on mine.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Agree with all the above posts, just be advised its hard to get stuff out of your front pockets once they are on. I love mine.

Mike

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
First answer your question: buckle the belt, mate the zippers on each side and zip in the correct direction.

Problem with chaps is there are better ways that will require less storage room and will provide better protection from the WX and the road in the event of a get off.

Better is a good pair of textile riding pants. BTW, most leather motorcycle wear sold is "fashion leather" and will provide only a little more protection than a pair of jeans. Competition leather is very expensive and all leather after getting wet a couple of times will lose a good part of its ability to protect.

Best is Kevlar, see the link. http://www.motoport.com/save-your-hide

·
Registered
417 Posts
I do the belt first too.. sometime i get a cramp in my side bending and twisting to get those goofy zippers zipped up.
I have found I rarely ever need/use chaps on my wing with such great wind protection, but I suppose if I'd be riding over an hour or so I'd want them if it's less than 50

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
CHAPS...........They protect everything except the most important area................:lol:

·
Registered
977 Posts
A full set of snug fitting leathers (jump suit style) on an overweight, over-the-hill biker is a memorable image to behold!

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
I bought leather chaps and leather jackets for both of us when we got our first Wing in '01. They were not a great look for me, and I never wear mine anymore, since I got my FirstGear riding pants. Rich still wears his on cold rides, though. I like textiles MUCH better, and it helps keep the world a more beautiful place if I don't appear in public wearing chaps! ;)

Yes..buckle the belt first, then zip the legs. :thumbup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I start the zippers, then step into the legs and pull them up, fasten the belt and then finish zipping the zippers. You spell tomato, and I spell tomatoe. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Sometimes this forum does have something that can produce a chcuckle...like this thread...

HELP! I don't know how to put on my pants!:lol:

Thanks for the laugh

·
Registered
535 Posts
Stand up, buckle up, zip up, and snap up!!! Oh, put your pants on first.:eek:4:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Buckle the belt, twist the zippers as close to the front as you can to reach them easily. Snaps last, if you have them.
This sounds right to me,although I prefer a pair of overpants to chaps. Go on just as quick and waterproof as well.
Bob VanNess

·
Registered
631 Posts
Don't let nobody kid ya,
I've been through several sets of them and they work. After a few times of putting them on and taking them off, it becomes very easy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts