GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for unique restaurants or sights to see if you were to spend one day in Charleston, SC?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The carriage tour around Charleston is really nice. The company that has their headquarters by Anston's restaurant ( I think they're called Old South, can't remember) does a really good job. Then Anston's is a great place to have dinner too. The trip out to Fort Sumter is really neat too. The marketplace is a nice place to spend time walking around and looking at all the things they have. Sticky Fingers is a good place for bar-b-que if you want that, and definately less expensive than Anston"s. A walk down the Battery is also a nice thing to do. Plantation trips too. Charleston has alot to offer, more than can be done in a day, but the tour, marketplace, the Fort and the Battery are all in close proximity and very doable in a day.

Have a great time!! :D

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
The harbor tour (to the fort) might be a bit of a time waster for a one-day trip. I'd check out the slave market area. Nearby also is the Hunley museum at the old Navy base in North Charleston, Patriot's Point in Mt Pleasent and Middleton place on the way to Summerville. Also Charlestown Landing is a neat place.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,701 Posts
Too much to do in just one day......plan to spend 3 or 4 at least. Everything everyone has mentioned above is worthwhile as well as just walking the streets to see all the magnificent homes.

Go in April before it gets hot and the crowds arrive.

Enjoy.

Bob E.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you only have one day, spend it in downtown, the Market area on Market and East Bay. You can spend time in the shops, the water front park, and walk some streets to see some beautiful houses. There are many restaurants there also, something for every taste. The carriage tour is nice, but not worth the price in my book. From the market you can walk, or ride down to the Battery (White Point Gardens) at the tip of the peninsula. Nice view, and interesting park. Lots of historic houses too. We love to ride the downtown area and just look at the houses and flowers.

For longer stays there is a lot more to see.... a very unique place.

Just my two cents

Steve

·
Registered
405 Posts
If ya want specifics, send me a pm or email on what interests ya and I will try and steer ya straight. You can do tons and not spend a dime.

Steve

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well from being a Charleston Boy, the Market Street area is a big rip off as a tourist trap and high prices. As far a eating places seafood places, to ride over the new Cooper Rivers bridge for a pretty view of Charleston and surroundings ,go to Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant for seafood . You can watch the boats from the tables on the deck. The one I like is the Trawler Rest.
I know a guy that he and I known each other 50 years that drives for a touring co. I recomend the Charleston Finest Tours as he entertain the folks while touring the area. His name is Ricky Smith.. they do tours to the gardens,plantations,old homes South of Broad,battery area also.
I you planning on going in late March or early April,the flowers will be in full bloom with all kind of pretty colors
If you need anymore info ,please ask!
ride safe ,
edmund

PS
Tell him About me on message board and he will get you laughing with history between us!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're actually riding over in the middle of April for the weekend. We plan on visiting the Grits festival in St. George, then we'll be looking for a unique place to eat and hang out in Charleston/Mt. Pleasnat area. We will stay at the KOA in Mt. Pleasant.

·
Registered
454 Posts
HEY BROBUBBY / U WITH THE BLUE KNIGHTS UP THERE / WE'RE ALL HEADING THERE IN MAY 4 OUR SRC SO IF YOUR A MEMBER I'LL MEET U THEN / IF NOT I STILL MITE SEE YOU THEN :cop2: :D :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Edum43, if you read my post I recommended walking around. There are lots of pretty things to see in the area. Any tourist area has good places and tourist traps.

As far as restaraunts, the trawler is not there, and RB's is the only decent place, but is more into the bar scene. I recommend Hymans downtown or Gilligans for seafood.

For views you can go up on the pedestrian walk of the new cooper bridge and get one of the best views or Alhambrha hall to see the city. I still say walking around the market area is great. You dont have to spend a dime other then parking.

If a beach is what you want, I recommend the county park on Isle of Palms.

Motor, I havent renewed this year, thanks for the reminder, I am with SC III. Would love to meet up with ya and share a meal if possible.

Also can give ya the Brobubba $1 tour... hahahahahah cheap but ya see the outside of some of the prettiest buildings..... hahahaha

·
Registered
454 Posts
Also can give ya the Brobubba $1 tour... hahahahahah cheap but ya see the outside of some of the prettiest buildings..... hahahaha
GEE THATS MORE THEN I CHARGE 4 THE TAMPA TOUR / ITS 50 CENTS HERE / MUST BE THE COMPETITION THAT KEEPS THE :money1: DOWN / HOPE 2 SEE U IN MAY / I'LL START SAVING NOW 4 THE TOUR

·
Registered
405 Posts
50 cents with a glass of water????? man that is cheap... hahaahaha... I will give ya the $1 tour for .25, how is that for competition? hahhah

There is lots to see, eveyone has differing tastes. You say what interests ya and I will show ya...... fair enough?

Steve

·
Registered
454 Posts
STEVE YOU HAVENT TASTED OUR WATER YET :beer8: :crew: / I LIKE TWISTY ROADS N GOOD FOOD / I THINK MY SWEETY WILL GO 4 THE SHOPPING AND SITE SEEING MORE SO I BETTER STICK TO THAT / I'LL GET WITH YOU B4 THEN THKS JIM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts