GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have older AirRider headsets that have problems. AirRider says the 1800 doesn't like the older heatsets and I need new ones. Cost of new J&M and AirRider is $200 + each. Chatterbox is less than $150 for Two.
Question: Does anyone use Chatterbox? How do they compare to others? Any problems hearing voice or music?

·
Registered
27 Posts
head sets

I have the chatterbox head sets and i'm quite pleased with them.I had a problem with one of them and i called and they said to send it out to them and they would see what the problem was and they ended up sending me a new set.I think they are fine for just talking to each other and listing to the radio.And they are a lot cheaper,,,,,,,,,,,,,Aces

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Old shoe, Welcome to the board.

All I can say, is you get what you pay for. I think that I would go somewhere , where you can listen to the chatterbox headsets in a similar helmet to yours.

I am not saying that Chatterbox are no good, but I can tell you that they do not have near the quality of the J&M nor the Airrider.

Good Hunting and Happy New Year

Bulldog

·
Registered
336 Posts
Headsets

I gotta disagree with Bulldog this time. I have 2 Chatterbox Noise Reduction headsets and 1 J&M. The Chatterboxs sound better and I can hear them better at a lower volume setting than is required by the J&M. Besides, Chatterbox didn't rip me off for the lower cord. I rotate 2 HJC AC-3 helmets. One with the chatterbox and one with the J&M. I would use both chatterboxes in the AC-3's but then I would have to use the J&M in the AC-2 ½ helmet that I sometimes wear in the summer and I can barely hear the radio with the volume cranked all the way up. The Chatterbox works fine in the ½ helmet.

Cheers,

:beer3:

Jerry

·
Registered
757 Posts
Old Shoe,
My Chatter Box H/S have been trouble free for over 2 yrs.
I've upgraded the speakers to Koss 50's. It's an easy install, &
there about $11.00 per set @ Circuit City......

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
chatterbox headsets have worked trouble free for me for 2 years now, but I have done some testing and the J&M's did work somewhat better. $$$$ make a bigger difference to me than the slight difference in performance. Many with J&M headsets have had problems with breaking the high$$$ plastic clamp that attaches to the helmet,I have never heard of that happening with chatterbox. :yw1:

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I bought my 01, I got Honda headsets, found out later they are made by J&M, when I got headsets for full face flip up helmets, I got J&M, I had and still have problems with the J&M's, when I needed headsets for a 3rd set of helmets I bought Chatterbox Noise reducers. Honda headsets by J&M, about 180.00 each, (but by J&M's own response to me, they are junk, but we built them to Honda specs), J&M headsets for flip up helmet, top of the line according to J&M, 300.00 bucks each (junk also, but that's only my opinion from using them). Chatterbox, 84.00 each, they perform the same as J&M but at a lot less money, I'm not really any happier with Chatterbox, but I feel better having paid a lot less.

G

·
0 Posts
I have Chatterbox noise reduction headsets. They worked well for voice communication, but music was dreadful. I replaced the speakers with some Koss speakers, and now they are no longer dreadful. Now, they only suck. I've decided headsets are only good for listening to voice communication, unless you use plugs that go right into your ear. I won't do that (yet) because I don't think that would be a safe way to ride. I listen to music through the external speaker system.

From what I've heard, Chatterbox is as good as J & M (or almost as good) for a lot less money, but not as good as Air Riders. I have no idea whether the Air Riders are any better for music than Chatterbox headsets with Koss speakers.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
I was unaware that J&M was making a $80 headset,have they improved the helmet clamp?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've had Chatterbox headsets for 2 years now and have no complaints. I think many of you who complain about headsets are not installing them properly. They need to be right on your ears in order to get the best quality of sound.

Believe me... I've tried them all and they all sound about the same when properly installed. One thing that does separate a good pair of headsets is the microphone and the cabling. In that deparment I give the edge to AirRiders. They sounded (all around for music and communication) the best of all that I tried. However I still went with the Chatterboxes as they sound pretty good, and are cheap enough that I can afford to have several pair in many of my helmets.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've had Chatterbox headsets for 2 years now and have no complaints. I think many of you who complain about headsets are not installing them properly. They need to be right on your ears in order to get the best quality of sound.

Believe me... I've tried them all and they all sound about the same when properly installed. One thing that does separate a good pair of headsets is the microphone and the cabling. In that deparment I give the edge to AirRiders. They sounded (all around for music and communication) the best of all that I tried. However I still went with the Chatterboxes as they sound pretty good, and are cheap enough that I can afford to have several pair in many of my helmets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts