GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make or know how to make an adaptor for the regular Chatterbox headsets, so the mike will work with the Goldwing system.
I have the cord to hook the headset to the bike, however the mike does not work, only the speakers.

I have the whole FRS setup (pre-Goldwing) and sure would like to not invest any more money in Chatterbox. :money1:

·
Registered
762 Posts
The problem is that the Goldwing is designed for dynamic microphones whereas more modern headsets are designed with electret microphones. The electret mics require a biasing voltage to work properly whereas the dynamic mics do not. In other words, the Goldwing audio system does not supply the necessary voltage supply to enable the electret mic element on your existing Chatterbox headsets to work. If you don't mind wiring in a battery, probably adding some circuitry to match impedances, then testing everything, it's probably do-able. But I don't know of any aftermarket vendors that have such a device for sale.

Your best bet is probably to sell your old gear and buy new. :?

Arthur

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I thought I read something along that line some where. So I guess I get more gadgets...... :s27:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Gadgetman,

Are you talking about the Chatterbox that is part of the full helmet to helmet intercom system? Because there is a Chatterbox headset only made to work on the Wing intercom system?

I can e-mail you a simple schematic to use as a bias circuit that Sunkist talks about. The trouble is though that I don't know the pin out of the Chatterbox (the full intercom system type).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may be missing exactly what you need, but I recently purchased two Vega Flip helmets and had Chatter Box headsets put in. They work as well if not better than my old J&C headsets in my Full Face helmets. Reading from the box it says: Open-Face Helmet Kit. It included the open-face Headset, mini cord, and hook-up Cord. All I do is plug in the Hook-up Cord to the existing wire on ny GL1800. Cost was $89.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Bikerman,

He seemed to be referring to the headsets that are part of Chatterbox helmet to helmet communicator SYSTEM:

http://www.mwsbike.com/hjc50.html

Chatterbox makes these as well as the headsets that you are talking about that plug into the Wing integrated intercom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts