GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems you can never have enough Ram ball mounts for accessories. I purchased a RAM ball from ebay and a 1/4-20 stainless cap screw from Menards for this project. All total, it’s around $10.

The part number for the Ram ball and the cap screw are in the photos.

I clamped the M/C cover in a vise and drilled a pilot hole in the center of the cover first. Then I enlarged it to 1/4”. I also used a large 1/2” bit to taper the hole from the inside so the cap screw would sit deeper into the cover and not contact the plastic plate under it.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Be careful. I believe the reason RAM stopped selling these is that there is very little thread holding the Honda covers in place. Enough for a cover but any heavy load or leverage and it will strip those threads faster than a - well let's just stop there.

If you use this mount, add some waterproof sealant around that bolt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did the same to my 2005 and use the right for my RAM Xmount and the left for my Garmin Zumo 550. Works great for both

Attachments

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ram NEVER sold these... a place called Motorcycle Larry's sold them and they eventually closed up shop when Larry passed away.
They were a quality product and I have never heard of anyone having issues with them. they were not meant for hanging the kitchen sink off of.. they were meant for a phone or gps or radar detector..

Thanks to the OP for a bit of assistance to self-sufficiency

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
This works great, but may I offer one slick tweak. If you acquire an overhead garage door track bolt, it is a small head with a knurled shank that locks it in place and is smaller and flatter head. Works really slick and leaves a bit more meat around the hole where the bolt goes through the cap. Have used these caps for hundreds of thousands of miles without a single issue...

Thanks for the instructions. Now let’s go ride the Ozarks!

:thumbup:

Attachments

Reactions: CAWing and TommyOne

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This works great, but may I offer one slick tweak. If you acquire an overhead garage door track bolt, it is a small head with a knurled shank that locks it in place and is smaller and flatter head. Works really slick and leaves a bit more meat around the hole where the bolt goes through the cap. Have used these caps for hundreds of thousands of miles without a single issue...

Thanks for the instructions. Now let’s go ride the Ozarks!

:thumbup:
Dang it Steve, now I’m going to have to take mine back apart to swap out the hardware for the new and improved design.....and to think I just had those caps off last week for the brake and clutch fluid flush.:grin2:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I used this $6.75 off fleebay; I replaced the spacers with aluminum spacers that I tapered to match the seats on the lid, I was also able to put some longer bolts in. I do like the bolt through the top, if it does not work out non-oem tops are cheep.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes I bought two from Larry years ago for my 2001 in 2001. I tried it on both my Gold Wing and my Harley and decided to take them off because of the stress on the little screws on those covers. I think those are called pen or pin nuts and they pull out of the reservoirs pretty easy. They are splined and pressed in. They can be replaced but if the device attached to the top cover shakes really bad and your miles from home the whole cover could come loose and you would be limping home with out either a brake or clutch, not to mention the fluid on painted surfaces. It is a good idea but not practical when it comes to safety. I still have mine somewhere, does any one want them.

Reactions: Andy Cote

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes I bought two from Larry years ago for my 2001 in 2001. I tried it on both my Gold Wing and my Harley and decided to take them off because of the stress on the little screws on those covers. I think those are called pen or pin nuts and they pull out of the reservoirs pretty easy. They are splined and pressed in. They can be replaced but if the device attached to the top cover shakes really bad and your miles from home the whole cover could come loose and you would be limping home with out either a brake or clutch, not to mention the fluid on painted surfaces. It is a good idea but not practical when it comes to safety. I still have mine somewhere, does any one want them.
If you are giving them away, I would love to offer to pay shipping for them to central Va (22963). I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts