GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my phone for most things ! But I am considering a Gps ! I need it to be cheap ,( not much use) ,capable of receiving custom routes from either garmin or tyre ! I know water proof is a issue if i can find one cheap enough may consider that also,screen 5-6 inches!..I am thinking 200.00 or under if possible!

any Suggestions? Thank YOU

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
make sure it accepts custom routes not trip planner works alot better

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just purchased a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 2597lmt from Walmart online for around $125. It has bluetooth, lifetime map updates and traffic. I have used TYRE to upload routes with no problems. I bought the Ram mount setup for about $50. I am very happy with it so far. I used it last weekend with no issues.

It is not a Zumo. It is not waterproof, but I had a cheap TomTom before that wasn't waterproof and rode in the rain a few times and had no issues. I would recommend putting a sandwich bag or something else clear if you could when it rains.

Walmart did not have it in stock. I ordered it online and shipped to store. It took about 4 days to arrive.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Are there any GPS that you can load a custom route form either google maps or streets and trips? I want the route I have plan to upload. Everytime I upload a map my gramin 760 changes it. Not fond of map source or base camp. I do not want to have to learn a new mapping program.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Use hdrideplanner just like google use extra waypoints so gps will follow routes you dont have to convert gps sync is in top right corner. The new trip planner in the new gps breaks it down to a bunch of little trips but will not show next part till you pass first point I have a 2555 then went and bought zumo 660. I have wrecked plenty of other ones on bike Get a waterproof box if you use a car gps.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just purchased a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 2597lmt from Walmart online for around $125. It has bluetooth, lifetime map updates and traffic. I have used TYRE to upload routes with no problems. I bought the Ram mount setup for about $50. I am very happy with it so far. I used it last weekend with no issues.

It is not a Zumo. It is not waterproof, but I had a cheap TomTom before that wasn't waterproof and rode in the rain a few times and had no issues. I would recommend putting a sandwich bag or something else clear if you could when it rains.

Walmart did not have it in stock. I ordered it online and shipped to store. It took about 4 days to arrive.

That would work ,I jut want to verify, it can accept custom routes? Not just destinations ! Example hwy 51 to hwy 2 to hwy3 west ! Not just address and points of interest,, but custom roads!..Thanks

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That would work ,I jut want to verify, it can accept custom routes? Not just destinations ! Example hwy 51 to hwy 2 to hwy3 west ! Not just address and points of interest,, but custom roads!..Thanks
I map my routes in basecamp and load them to the 2595, it's just smaller ( 5" vs. 7" ) . Trip planer works good if you know how it works once you load your custom route. Just make sure your shaping points are before or after your turn so your not sitting wondering where to go before it picks up the next leg of the route. When you select your route in the trip planner and set it to navigate the route, a list of your way/ shaping points will pop up. Just make sure you select the first point in the list as the next destination and it will follow your route to a "t"..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use TYRE to make custom routes. You can drag the suggested route to whatever road you want. It adds a waypoint which is loaded on the GPS. Some people use Basecamp. I've just used TYRE for so long, it's hard to give it up. Once it is loaded on the GPS, you can follow the route to make sure it is what you want. I think this will do what you want it to do with the Nuvi 2597. The 2595 is similar and the 2557 is the same except without bluetooth.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well just ordered the Garmin Nuvi 2597lmt -So Thank you for the help! -It should be in by Friday! Any information on using hdroadtrip,tyrene ,or garmin base camp? --Will they all work with the Garmin? And what is the easiest one to use? Any basic information that might help a newbie with this stuff would be appreciated! .Ty

·
Registered
532 Posts
hdrideplanner is the easiest

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Have you ever tried it no converting just hit sync and it goes to your gps I have basecamp on my computer but rideplanner is so easy I just keep useing it good luck back roads are the most fun

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Have you ever tried it no converting just hit sync and it goes to your GPS I have basecamp on my computer but ride planner is so easy I just keep using it good luck back roads are the most fun
I started using HD ride planner and tried tyre also. the problem I had with both of them is they would no recognize my 2720 I had at the time. So I used mapsource to convert them and load them to the GPS. problem was , the routes didn't work then.

So I started exploring basecamp and watching the tutorial I could find on youtube.

I now use basecamp exclusively and my new 2595 works flawlessly with the routes I've made. It is really very easy to create a route and load it to the GPS and have the GPS follow it as it should, even with the new trip planner...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts