GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a modification on my 1500 by which I could check the oil w/o removing the side cover. This seemed logical to me but it turned out to be a complete waste of time since the machine was never low on oil and apparently consumed/leaked no oil between changes.

I admit I almost never check the oil on my 1800 except before a big trip and when I do check its always the same.

Question to you guru's; how often do you change your oil? I use Mobile 1 10W-40?

Question 2: how often do you check the oil level in your motorcycle?

I've driven my Prius over 100K miles and I have no idea how you check the oil or if its even possible. My Ford Mustang on the other hand likes a quart now and then.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im no guru but I change my oil 8K to 10K miles and I only check it before a looooong ride

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I change it as per the manual recommends and cannot remember the last time I checked it. When what I drain out is measurably less than what I put in, then I will start periodically checking it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I change it as per the manual recommends and cannot remember the last time I checked it. When what I drain out is measurably less than what I put in, then I will start periodically checking it.
:agree: check my coolant level much more frequently here in the desert SW.

·
Registered
267 Posts
On your Prius if you pop the hood the yellow dipstick is right in the front. Now go and check it. T:p

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
When tooling about towm, cruising, or touring; I note no appreciable oil consumption. When having twisty fum with lots of WOT and heavy engine braking and high revs; I can blow off a pint in a day. The oil rich vapors in the crank case are pulled into the secondary air system and them purged into the combustion chambers. The secondary air system opens and closes as RPM levels change and vacuum changes.

prs

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
When tooling about towm, cruising, or touring; I note no appreciable oil consumption. When having twisty fum with lots of WOT and heavy engine braking and high revs; I can blow off a pint in a day. The oil rich vapors in the crank case are pulled into the secondary air system and them purged into the combustion chambers. The secondary air system opens and closes as RPM levels change and vacuum changes.

prs

HMMM??? How many miles did you say you have on yours?

Doing the same in the mountains here has no oil use at all???

·
Registered
229 Posts
I installed a modification on my 1500 by which I could check the oil w/o removing the side cover. This seemed logical to me but it turned out to be a complete waste of time since the machine was never low on oil and apparently consumed/leaked no oil between changes.

I admit I almost never check the oil on my 1800 except before a big trip and when I do check its always the same.

Question to you guru's; how often do you change your oil? I use Mobile 1 10W-40?

Question 2: how often do you check the oil level in your motorcycle?

I've driven my Prius over 100K miles and I have no idea how you check the oil or if its even possible. My Ford Mustang on the other hand likes a quart now and then.
I am no guru, but have put on about 12K miles since I bought my 05 GL 1899 used about a year and a half ago. Have not used any oil or noticed any significant drop in oil levels when I check it about every 1000 miles.

I change it every 4000 miles. Honda dino oil. Honda filter

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'll check mine when the mood strikes--do the TP at the same time. Have never found it low. Change around 4k.

2 miles down the road to the Dealer where I get additional 15% and use Honda oil and filter. Why not... They made it. They know what's best for it.

Here goes another oil thread. :roll::roll:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've noticed that when I start to hit 6000 miles, the trans gets clunkier and the engine gets a little noisier. This is accelerated if the bike really gets hot during those miles. FYI it's an '03 with 40k on the clock, recently purchased used, so I'm only on my third oil swap.

Anyway, I was following MOM's advice with a change every 8k, but I'm increasing the oil service interval to 4k going forward. The engine/trans just seems to be much happier with fresh oil. If the engine is happy, then I am happy.

For the first 8k I owned the bike, checking the oil was part of my pre-flight, due to fear of the unknown. It has never lost or been down oil, so now I only check it before a long ride (more than one day on the road) or if I have the side cover off for something else.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oil change

2008 w/9000+ miles. change oil at
@ 1000 miles Mobil 1 15w-50 syn
@ 5000 miles Mobil 1 15w-50 syn
@ 10,000 miles will be Mobil 1

Every 5000 miles I change oil and only use a Honda oil filter.
Transmission shifts smooth. no clunk.
Check for drops of oil under bike, never pull the stick, check before oil change for loss. Put in 4 quarts and go! :yes1:

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
I never check the oil level. I change the synthetic every 5K. It i easy to remember and 5K does not let the fluid get too dirty

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I am kinda lazy, so I plan to switch to Amsoil.

Pretty good stuff from what I hear.
It re filters itself and stays clean.
It lasts forever all you need to do is add three drops every 12K.
It is easy on filters and has such superior lubrication qualities you do not even have to change the filter, it just slips right past the filter material.

It creates better Miles per gallon, makes the bike coast along.

It has such superior cling properties that it stays in the sump in the mountain curves, does not jump into the air flow........it clings to the pistons.

It is a good way to build up your credit, it is a bit expensive so one may have to borrow money to afford it. This will build up your credit.

Yep I think I will give it a try. :joke:

·
Registered
386 Posts

It is easy on filters and has such superior lubrication qualities you do not even have to change the filter, it just slips right past the filter material.

It has such superior cling properties that it stays in the sump in the mountain curves, does not jump into the air flow........it clings to the pistons.

It is a good way to build up your credit, it is a bit expensive so one may have to borrow money to afford it. This will build up your credit.

Actually you don't even need a filter and you only add 2.5 drops of oil every 12K!
I get AMSOIL from a local rep and pay much less than Mobil1. To me all sythetics are the same, I go for the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

Hey kit,step away from the mushrooms :cool: OLE YELLER MBG PA

G

·
Im no guru but I change my oil 8K to 10K miles and I only check it before a looooong ride

Same here 10k is easy to keep track of and I must admit I just checked the oil in the wing and valk last night for the first time this summer - both are right on :yes1:
I can't believe how much better they shift now that I checked the oil :)

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
HMMM??? How many miles did you say you have on yours?

Doing the same in the mountains here has no oil use at all???
Getting close to 95,000 miles on my '02, but this type of oil consumption has been a constant and not something that has just happened. I change every 5,000 as such serves my memory skills best and seems to keep the tranny slick shifting. I have not really rung it out in the mountain this year because the roads were so battered from harsh winter and very wet spring; thus this last oil charge, which is soon due to be retired, has barely dropped on the stick at all.

prs

·
Registered
212 Posts
I only ride my 2005 about 5-6,000 miles per year... mostly highway miles. So I change the oil/filter once per year in the fall. I rarely check the oil since I never see any oil drippings on the garage floor. I did the same with my 1500.

G

·
2 miles down the road to the Dealer where I get additional 15% and use Honda oil and filter. Why not... They made it. They know what's best for it.
Actually they don't make the oil filter - it's a bid item and changes from brand to brand depending on bid pricing.
Oil is oil and filters are filters - they all make the transmission shift smoother :coffee1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts