GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
just warm up the bike to operating temperature. turn the bike off. remove the left side cover. pull out the dipstick and check the fluid level. that's as easy as it gets.

while you don't have to use honda anti-freeze, you need to ensure it's motorcycle-compatible and not automotive anti-freeze. there's a huge difference.
 
G

·
Any silicate free antifreeze will be fine...automotive or otherwise. Mix 50/50 with distilled water, or buy the premix. Your Honda dealer (motorcycle or automotive) will have it. Same stuff for both Honda cars or bikes.

I just get the premix from my Goldwing dealer. That way I know it is the right stuff. The cost compared to fooling around with anything else is insignificant.

Ride safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
gob-The drain plug is in the front behind the vacuum canister. The fill hole is under the right side fairing compartment. The pins on the compartment come out easy by pushing the center in and pulling the pin out. Are you draining and cleaning the overflow tank? That is is the middle underneath, a 10mm wrench on one side and a hook on the other.

After to refill the radiator, run the bike for a few minutes, crack the accelarator a couple of time to bleed and top it off.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,090 Posts
:?:

[quote="
while you don't have to use honda anti-freeze, you need to ensure it's motorcycle-compatible and not automotive anti-freeze. there's a huge difference.[/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
jasonJonas said:
just warm up the bike to operating temperature. turn the bike off.
The engine has to be running to check it. From the 05 service manual, page 3-13:

Check the coolant level of the reserve tank with the engine running at normal operating temperature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
:?:

[quote="
while you don't have to use honda anti-freeze, you need to ensure it's motorcycle-compatible and not automotive anti-freeze. there's a huge difference.
[/quote]

He's saying that it has to be silicate free. When you think of silicate, think 'silica sand', and that's what I use to sand blast parts. Has something to do with eating up water pumps, or whatever. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
jasonJonas said:
while you don't have to use honda anti-freeze, you need to ensure it's motorcycle-compatible and not automotive anti-freeze. there's a huge difference.
I checked 3 different auto parts stores and not one bottle of anti-freeze says it is motorcycle compatable. I just purchased some Prestone Extended change 5 year 100,000 mile coolant. I figure this should work in anything from my Jeep to a lawn tractor to a motorcycle to an airplane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Can someone tell exaxtly how much coolant I need for a total replacement. The owners manual says 3.73 Quarts. Does that include the reservoir/ overflow?

I am going to use NPG Coolant in my 1800 just i did in my 1500 for the past 3 years. It never needs replacing. It is pricey but awesome! Check out http://evanscooling.com/main27.htm

I don't sell it!! Just use it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,616 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
jasonJonas said:
while you don't have to use honda anti-freeze, you need to ensure it's motorcycle-compatible and not automotive anti-freeze. there's a huge difference.
I checked 3 different auto parts stores and not one bottle of anti-freeze says it is motorcycle compatable. I just purchased some Prestone Extended change 5 year 100,000 mile coolant. I figure this should work in anything from my Jeep to a lawn tractor to a motorcycle to an airplane.
It won't say "motorcycle compatible." It will say "SILICATE FREE" which is "motorcycle compatible." Using silicate in the wing will cause the seals to malfunction and possibly damage the pump impeller. Check your bottle. If it says "contains silicates" don't use it in the wing. if it says "SILICATE FREE" or other words meaning that, yer good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
gopdebeek said:
Can someone tell exaxtly how much coolant I need for a total replacement. The owners manual says 3.73 Quarts. Does that include the reservoir/ overflow?

I am going to use NPG Coolant in my 1800 just i did in my 1500 for the past 3 years. It never needs replacing. It is pricey but awesome! Check out http://evanscooling.com/main27.htm

I don't sell it!! Just use it!!
Interesting. But doesn't a racing motor get taken apart quite frequently and coolant replaced. I am cautious of fluids that never need replacement. Goes against my tinkering nature.

Love to hear if others are using it and change intervals they choose.

Thanks for the reference, something else to think about. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,099 Posts
Just poking around looking at the antifreeze thing - The GL1800 takes 3.73 quarts, so if you buy it, I would guess you need about a gallon. Some of the additives - silicates - in some of the mixtures like to react to aluminum, so it should be a silicate free mixture. One other thing some coolant additives do is take out the water pump seals and bearings. The water pumps on some bikes have a seal between the water passage and the engine oil sump where the shaft that drives the pump comes out to meet the pump. That seal goes out, and a real possability of antifreeze showing up in the oil arises, and antifreeze is not a good lubricant on main and rod bearings.

The additives in the mixture in addition to providing corrosion protection in the block as well as freeze protection, also provide lubrication for some of the moving parts. All of these additives will give up over time - the lubricant gets used up, the corrosion protection sacrafices itself, and eventual loss of effectiveness set in - and Honda says that is about two years.

So, I would suggest using a lilttle care in deciding when and what you are going to dump in the radiator.

Then I went to a site suggested above about a lifetime antifreeze, and found this:
EVANS NPG™ Coolant Ends Coolant Maintenance & Expense -
Gives Superior Protection!
Run Longer - Run Safer - Never Overheat !
Use Without Water and Without Pressure !
Eliminate Critical Hot Spots - Stop Detonation !
CONTAINS NO SILICATES
PROTECTS FROM BOIL-OVERS
PERMITS INCREASED COMPRESSION WITHOUT DETONATION
ELIMINATES SCALE & CORROSION
PERMITS MORE SPARK WITHOUT DETONATION
COMPATIBLE WITH ALL METALS EVEN MAGNESIUM
LIFETIME COOLANT
100% COOLANT - NO MIXING NEEDED
WILL NOT FREEZE
ESSENTIALLY NON-TOXIC
Lets see - if Honda used this, we never would have an overheat problem. We can toss out the pressure caps. Shine up our wheels with it. More power from higher compression. Good to drink. Spark plugs are optional. This sounds like a pitch from a county fair, and if it is to good to be true,......

So, use whatever your comfort level tells you. This is worth just what you paid for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,092 Posts
good luck finding any antifreeze that says on the bottle "silicate free "

i hear all the extended life antifreezes are silicate free but for some unknown reason they don't usually put that information on the bottle any more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
What I'd like to know is, when checking the coolant dipstick on my 06, it's nearly impossible to tell the level. The stick has serrated ridges on it, and each one catches a little green stuff so I can't tell where the actual level on it is because it appears to "smear". Any hints / wisdom?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Reddwing said:
What I'd like to know is, when checking the coolant dipstick on my 06, it's nearly impossible to tell the level. The stick has serrated ridges on it, and each one catches a little green stuff so I can't tell where the actual level on it is because it appears to "smear". Any hints / wisdom?
When th level is getting low you will not see any coolant in the ridges.

Q
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Quincy said:
Reddwing said:
What I'd like to know is, when checking the coolant dipstick on my 06, it's nearly impossible to tell the level. The stick has serrated ridges on it, and each one catches a little green stuff so I can't tell where the actual level on it is because it appears to "smear". Any hints / wisdom?
When th level is getting low you will not see any coolant in the ridges.

Q
Fair enough! Thanks! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
straight from the Prestone web site

Q. Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?

A. Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top