GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 2018 Goldwing DCT about a month ago. I was washing and waxing vehicles on Xmas day, using a standard garden hose with sprayer nozzle (not high pressure).

Got on the bike today to ride to work and the check engine light is on. The bike rode and sounded normal. Is it possible I got water on/in something that is causing the check engine light?

Thanks

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Got my 2018 Goldwing DCT about a month ago. I was washing and waxing vehicles on Xmas day, using a standard garden hose with sprayer nozzle (not high pressure).

Got on the bike today to ride to work and the check engine light is on. The bike rode and sounded normal. Is it possible I got water on/in something that is causing the check engine light?

Thanks
It is possible.

:doorag:

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I would suspect that something got wet. If it does not go away in a day or two visit your dealer.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Most cars and trucks will clear errant engine lights with 3 run cycles (warm cold warm cold...) if nothing remains bad to trigger a problem. Seems like something to watch being we ride and sometimes park in the rain.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,571 Posts
Did the engine light stay on after you shut off the bike and then restarted it?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,571 Posts
I had the engine light come on with my old wing after riding all day in the rain while on a road trip at interstate speeds...it was pretty unnerving to see when your over 500 miles from home...but when I shut off the bike and restarted the light went off and it never came back on or affected the way the bike ran....that happened to me on two different road trips riding in the rain all day...but never had the problem with just washing the bike.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Now the fun starts.:smile2:
Ride it and it should go out.
Give it a couple days and go see dealer if it doesn't clear the light.
All my Wings have been like submarines.:grin2:
I have been in rain with my 2018, no issues..

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
As I recall, getting the gear position switches wet will cause the Fault Indicator lamp to light. When the switches dry out the FI light will go out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Might be like car and related to gaz cap. On my Lexus, the 4WD indicated it was not functioning. Called dealer and he said to check gaz cap. Unscrewed it and back on and it got cleared.

U never know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same issue today with no wash. Just doing a wipe down. Started it up and the check eng light was on. Looked at a post from April and followed the steps listed. (He had let his batt die). Not sure my batt was low. but this worked for me: 1 disconnect the neg term on the batt to reset the ECU, 2 wait a few min, 3 reconnect the neg term. 4 Started it back up (light was off) Let idle till warm just to confirm it did not return.
Took it for a short ride (little cool in Ohio this time a year). the light did not return. I will keep an eye on it and post if learn more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to mention that I turned the bike off while at a red light, but the check engine light came back when I started it again.

After letting it sit for the 9ish hours I was at work, the check engine light did not come back on.

Thanks for all that replied.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,571 Posts
Good to hear it went off....hopefully it was just a fluke and it won't happen again.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
While at the Lone Star Rally this year my bike was parked in a very busy lot. When I started the bike the CHECK ENGINE light came on. After about an hour of riding it went off. I figured people may have been sitting & screwing with my bike.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
While at the Lone Star Rally this year my bike was parked in a very busy lot. When I started the bike the CHECK ENGINE light came on. After about an hour of riding it went off. I figured people may have been sitting & screwing with my bike.

What could people possibly do to make the check engine light go on?:smile2:

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
915 Posts
I think the big takeaway here is to not wash the bike...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Might be like car and related to gaz cap. On my Lexus, the 4WD indicated it was not functioning. Called dealer and he said to check gaz cap. Unscrewed it and back on and it got cleared.

U never know.
funny sort of ; my car did that too !:grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts