1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
didnt work for me

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yeah, it only works with GSM enabled phones, but if you do have a GSM phone and youu're out on a trip, your loved ones can keep tabs on you.
And, even if you have a GSM phone, you have to be in an area that you have cell coverage. Not much help for some of the areas we ride in!

·
Registered
871 Posts
:rolleyes: Nope, the locate function doesn't work with my Sprint Instinct... Darn
But, searchable Google maps and satellite view in the browser ain't bad...

Lance

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
just wondering if i signup with this google thing will it be like the google toolbar where the computer gets loaded with a lot of worthless to me stuff that slows down the computer ?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hedo, you're a wacko! :lol:

Bartman, that's pretty cool. Thank you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Be afraid, be very afraid. This is too much like 1984. Big Brother has Google too. HEHEHEHE

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's also a great way for one of the world's largest info-sharing and data-mining companies in the world to build databases of people's Cell-Phone Numbers.

No thanks. Anyone tracking me, I'm hiding from in the first place, LOL.

·
Registered
958 Posts
For those of you thinking about the SPOT GPS Tracking device, check out the new service from Google. And the best part.....IT'S FREE!!!!

http://www.google.com/latitude
Tried it out last week on a 5 day trip to Arkansas, letting my wife & family track my location. Pretty cool for a free service, but has a few significant drawbacks:

1) My Moto Q phone does not support triangulation using cell phone towers, but does have GPS capabilities. Although the GPS has better pinpoint accuracy, it will only update my location when it can read GPS satellites. In other words, it won't update at all if the phone is in your carrying case, pocket or trunk. So in my case, I could only update my location during fuel stops or other breaks. Maybe this isn't a problem for phones which also allow cell tower triangulation, but it was a problem for me.

2) I would frequently get "Location temporarily unavailable". Not sure why this happened, but found it very frustrating. It would continue to show the location of my previous stop. It would usually take several attempts to force an update to my current location.

3) As another poster mentioned, you also have to be in an area with cell phone coverage for it to work at all. The really good riding roads often have poor or no signal at all.

Bottom line for me is it's a 'fun' gadget, but I sure wouldn't rely on it as a way for someone to find me if I went down while riding solo. My actual location could be off by up to several hundred miles from what Google Latitude showed, depending on when it was last updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts