GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
My word. Look how that whole front fairing just pushes in. Makes me feel good about wearing my fullface. Look at where his forehead and face hits.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Very interesting. So one would live an extra 15 seconds, if that long, with an airbag on a crash like that.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
FireEater said:
Very interesting. So one would live an extra 15 seconds, if that long, with an airbag on a crash like that.
Ya, it looks like the guys head/Helmet hit right at the top of the door.

I think in this case Honda would have been better off installing an ejection seat :roll: :banghead:

·
15 year Member
6,871 Posts
J-mac said:
FireEater said:
Ya, it looks like the guys head/Helmet hit right at the top of the door.

I think in this case Honda would have been better off installing an ejection seat :roll: :banghead:
The reason that rider would have been hurt is that he was NOT wearing "above the ankle boot" plus he looks like a dummy!

I am going to buy one if it helps hoorah and if it dosent't it will be 5,000 dollars less my estate will have to pay to the feds!!

Also I brought it uo to a guy I know who rides a a-hem Harley and he says that motorcycles are supposed to have an element of "danger" to them, like your cheating death when you ride..... I didn't get him at alll
anything that make a motorcycle passion safer is OK with me.....

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Three alternatives:

1) Evade the collision.

2) Lay the bike down.....fast!

3) Jump as high as you can (hopefully, over the obstacle). Won't leave you free of injuries, and hopefully another vehicle doesn't run over you, but is likely to be less injurious than ramming into the side of the car.

Both assume you are paying attention and have time to choose.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I think that might be a survivable crash with the air bag. The dummy's wrists and knees probably were broken but more importantly, the neck sure took a beating, first with the air bag decelerating the body and then it hitting the car's roof. If you were not going to survive the crash, a broken neck it not a bad way to go. :duck:

Maybe we could start a movement to convince DOT that a lighter helmet design that reduces the number of broken necks is much better than a heavier helmet that is better at preventing penitrating object injuries. Whooooa! Did I just suggest that our government doesn't know what is best for us? Look out for the political correctness crowd! :22yikes:

(did I just pull this off topic?)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Probably not much help in a nuclear attack either. Well then, the hell with it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Laying the bike down is the last thing I'd want to do! The brakes don't work very well with the bike on it's side.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Smitty said:
Laying the bike down is the last thing I'd want to do! The brakes don't work very well with the bike on it's side.
You beat me to it. I have no idea what makes people think that laying a bike down is a good thing - even if it were something they were capable of (I wonder how many people practice this maneuver).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Landtuna said:
Three alternatives:

1) Evade the collision.

2) Lay the bike down.....fast!

3) Jump as high as you can (hopefully, over the obstacle). Won't leave you free of injuries, and hopefully another vehicle doesn't run over you, but is likely to be less injurious than ramming into the side of the car.

Both assume you are paying attention and have time to choose.
Ummmm duhhh... if you were paying attention and had the time to think about laying it down or jumping off the bike, you already blew your wad! Most experienced motorcyclists would simply hit their brakes and stop, or would swerve to avoid the collision.

Speaking from experience, that video is very true to life of what actually happens when you broadside a vehicle. When I was 19 years old I got to looking at some chicks walking down the sidewalk in bikinis while I was doing about 45 mph down the street on my Yamaha DT400 enduro.

I heard a bunch of yelling and turned around just in time to slam into the front left quarter panel of a 3/4 ton chevy pick-up as he was pulling a U turn. In one second I was flying off the bike, bouncing off the hood and onto the street. Luckily being young, I got up brushed myself off and wondered WTF just happened. I hit that pickup so hard that I moved it about a foot sideways. I didn't press the issue as I knew it was my fault and besides there was 3 dudes in the pickup who saw it all go down and were the ones doing the yelling. I was bruised up for a few days but nothing serious. If it would have been a van, or if I would have hit the drivers side door, I probably wouldn't be typing this right now.

Needless to say, I don't let anything distract me anymore :wink:

·
Registered
501 Posts
The airbag model should come with a jock strap too, the reentry could be painful :shock:

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Moby Dick said:
To make the test "real world," the dummy lady in the cage should have had a dummy cell phone?
:lol:

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had a car turn in front of me in Galveston. I was on a Harley at the time. I reallized that I was not going to stop and I was going to hit the car. I put all rear brake on and got the bike side ways and as I was laying it down I stepped off. I was walking away from the bike as it was sliding down the street. It stopped about 1 foot from the car. It was a good thing that the driver had insurance. Or I would still be in jail for doing bodily harm to him. Had I stayed on the bike I am sure I would have hit the cars side. I bought a BMW next with abs intergrated brakes. Same thing happened the next year and this time I was able to stop. Now on the Wing I have regular brakes. Sure miss the abs. But there are advantages to both. With abs intergrated brakes you stop real quick and straight. With out it you can maneuver better. I am a motor officer. You can not use you back brake to help turn sharper with intergrated brakes.
But given all the above......I would lay it down again instead of hitting the car. And I like the none abs, non intergrated brakes. I wish in a perfact world I could have both with a switch to go between the two.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Keghead, thanks for the video of the side by side comparison. If a crash is unavoidable I'd rather be the dummy shown in the right side video.
Ralph Wenzl

1 - 20 of 27 Posts