GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GL1800A with about 34k on it. When I purchased it, I went over it pretty well, looking for any issues.

I had pulled the brake lever off and it was well lubricated and the bolt and bushing looked like new. I assumed the clutch would be the same, so I did not take the lever off.

Fast forward a year. In a recent tip-over, I broke the brake lever. I took this as an oppourtunity to yank the chrome levers off and put a set of OEM black levers on.

When I pulled the brake lever off, everything was the same as before.

When I pulled the clutch lever, I found the lever bushing and bolt to be worn and the actuator bushing to be worn as well. It appeared that chrome from the lever had flaked off and guged the bushings. I ordered new bolts and an new clutch actuator bushing. The clutch actuator rod seal had disintegrated as well, so I replaced it.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
I grease mine every year when I flush brake & clutch fluids. No signs of any wear.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

I replace my clutch lever bushings about once every 100,000 miles or so, the brake lever still feels tight. Once the clutch bushing wears, it gets loose and sometimes the micro-switches do not work well then.

I have replaced it twice now.

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
replaced the clutch lever at 140,000 because the bushing was worn enough to screwup cruise control , Brian Hand gave me a free lever, THANKS BRIAN ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA7W
I replace my clutch lever bushings about once every 100,000 miles or so

So thats like every other oil change for you then, right?

:a13:

:wrong: , but damn funny. Come to think of it, it might just be true. ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would not have know about the importance of greasing the bushings and bolt shafts on the clutch and brake levers had I not purchased Fred's maintenance DVD. This topic is covered in the brake and clutch bleeding sections.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I recall that Ton and or a buddy of his had some bushings fabricated not too long ago. FazerDude; from where did you order yours?

Lubing mine has abeen part of spring cleaning even if brake fluid was not due that spring ( I now do brake/clutch fluid every other year).

prs

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got new ones with my new levers, because I had to replace a broken one and wanted to get the chrome levers off of the bike.

The worst worn bushing was the clutch actuator bushing, which I got through Hal.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I recall that Ton and or a buddy of his had some bushings fabricated not too long ago. FazerDude; from where did you order yours?

Lubing mine has abeen part of spring cleaning even if brake fluid was not due that spring ( I now do brake/clutch fluid every other year).

prs
prs..A friend of mine makes up new bushings with a free remove/install tool $20 delivered two bushings & tool..

PM me for his email address.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
prs..A friend of mine makes up new bushings with a free remove/install tool $20 delivered two bushings & tool..

Rocky
I'd like to take you up on that offer also. Will send you a PM.
Thanks

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Rocky, he only sent me one bushing and no tool, but I got the job done and it works fine business !!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky, he only sent me one bushing and no tool, but I got the job done and it works fine business !!

Tom,I'm not sure why you only ordered 1 bushing? That isn't my business.

The deal for everyone is for $20 you get.
2 Bushings.
1 tool.
Shipping included..

Not a bad deal..

CAWing..I returned your PM. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts