GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to check the coolant with the dipstick. For some reason, the coolant "beads up" on the plastic stick and there is no defined level left on it, just a bunch of drops. I really can't tell you where the level was for sure. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just checked mine. No beading and the level was good. I'd wash the dipstick with 409 or dishwashing soap to get any traces of oil off. Then have a good look at the condition of the coolant. You can suck out some or all of the small quantity in the coolant tank.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I guess with a plastic dipstick you could call it beading up. After all, I don't have a visible wet line across my dipstick.

Put the bike on the center stand as stated in the manual (if I remember correctly), pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, put it back in, pull it back out. Your highest "bead" is the coolant level.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
One side of the dipstick has little square buckets. If you insert the dipstick with the buckets facing up, you should be able to catch the coolant in the buckets and then you can determine the coolant level.
:thumbup:

·
Vendor
18,586 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand as stated in the manual (if I remember correctly), pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, put it back in, pull it back out. Your highest "bead" is the coolant level.
It sounds like a critical step is missing when checking coolant level. You may want to re-read the Owners Manual on the correct procedure to check coolant level.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
One side of the dipstick has little square buckets. If you insert the dipstick with the buckets facing up, you should be able to catch the coolant in the buckets and then you can determine the coolant level.
:thumbup:
You got buckets with yours? Teaches me to buy a used wing. ;)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Some of the chaps here use those skinny wooden stirring sticks that you get in coffee shops, for dipping their coolant. Then just hold it beside the coolant dipper to compare the level.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
For future reference:

It is my experience that if all you are seeing is droplets on the coolant dipstick, then the level is too low. I had to add coolant several times during the first 500 miles I had mine (see signature block).

If there is a proper amount of coolant in the bottle you will see a thin sheet of coolant (not just droplets) sticking to the dipstick when you pull it out. I had trouble figuring out what the coolant should look like on the dipstick when my bike was new, not being used to checking coolant levels in that fashion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts