GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
how often should you check the torque on the lug nuts on the rear tires of your trike.
Torque the nuts (or bolts in some cases) on the wheels when you install them and again after about 200 miles.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Before they fall off.......:joke:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I check them as often as I check my car and truck lugs. Hey they are car wheels and tires once the wheels are on and checked they shouldn't come loose.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I check them as often as I check my car and truck lugs. Hey they are car wheels and tires once the wheels are on and checked they shouldn't come loose.
Correct. Torque 'em when they are installed and again after 200-250 miles is the general recommendation.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
And there is a long haul between shouldn't and can't. Wait till you are driving an 80,000 pound tractor-trailer down the road and see the tire going down the road along side you, with the bolt circle still inside. But they shouldn't crack out like that.......sure. Thats why there is no need to ever check them.....:shrug:

·
Registered
792 Posts
And there is a long haul between shouldn't and can't. Wait till you are driving an 80,000 pound tractor-trailer down the road and see the tire going down the road along side you, with the bolt circle still inside. But they shouldn't crack out like that.......sure. Thats why there is no need to ever check them.....:shrug:
How do you go from checking lug to cracked wheels on a truck? He asked how ofter to check lugs, you put them on right and check once and they shouldn't come loose. I never said not to look for defective equipment. Just so you know I did get my million miles in before I retired, and never had a wheel pass me, do you inspection ever time before you get in the truck and you'll find all kind of things.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
How do you go from checking lug to cracked wheels on a truck? He asked how ofter to check lugs, you put them on right and check once and they shouldn't come loose. I never said not to look for defective equipment. Just so you know I did get my million miles in before I retired, and never had a wheel pass me, do you inspection ever time before you get in the truck and you'll find all kind of things.
The point is in the last line. Do the insptection every time before you get on, and you will find all kinds of things. That includes loose lug nuts, cracked wheels, low air pressure, objects embedded in tires, BUT still have to make the inspection to find them.

On second thought, with a million miles, just jump in an go. Fix it after it breaks. But I bet that you checked things over every day when you saddled up. Those that don't usually spend a lot of time at the scales.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts