GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering is there something out as a after market accessory to make it easier to check and/or fill the back tire with air? I'm getting alittle tired of burning my arm and laying on the ground.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a tire pressure monitoring system. The only time I have to get on the ground now is if the tire is low and have to add air. I bought the TPMS from Hal's sight. Made by Big Bike Parts. I like it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
check tire pressure

I have the smartire system but I also have a ez-aire gauge by accugage thttp://www.getagauge.com that is very easy to use to check or add air to the rear tire. mdh
the link will probably have to be retyped.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I think with the saddlebag and muffler located where they are in relation to the tire, one has to either get down on all fours or lay on one side to check or fill the rear tire. I have never burned my arm, but I check my pressure before riding, not during or after...I have a compressor in my garage though.
+1 on that... just get down on your back and do it.. there is no other way in my opinion. Got the compressor in the garage too...

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you're trying to do it on the side stand, I see your problem. Put it on the center stand and it really isn't that hard, that is unless you have a really big belly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the smartire system but I also have a ez-aire gauge by accugage thttp://www.getagauge.com that is very easy to use to check or add air to the rear tire. mdh
the link will probably have to be retyped.
Thank you mickey46, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I was just wondering is there something out as a after market accessory to make it easier to check and/or fill the back tire with air? I'm getting alittle tired of burning my arm and laying on the ground.

You won't burn your arm if you are checking your pressure cold.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I check mine before I ride. The bike and tires are at ambient temp so I don't have to worry about being burned and the garage/driveway is way cleaner than the surface at some convenience store/gas station.

If I'm on the road, I check it before starting the bike in the motel/campground parking lot - again, it's usually much cleaner there.

Since I carry a compressor with me, it's no problem to maintain correct pressure. And I always check them with the bike on the center stand - tried it on the kick by moving the bike forwards and back to get the valve in the correct position but it was easier, faster, and more convenient to put it on the center stand and spin the wheel.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
"Checking motorcycle tires" is more than just checking the air pressure. You really need to inspect the side walls for cracks and bulges, the tread for cracks, bulges, foreign objects and wear. I see no alternative other than getting down there with it and doing a proper job. It needs to be a routine part of your pre-ride.

prs

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have one of the guages with a hose
on the end, much easier to check/fill.

They say to check your tires when they
are cold, let's say I'm on a long trip,
and I check the pressure, and find
one of them 6-lbs low, I don't carry a
compressor so I have to ride somewhere
to put air in the tire. Now the tire is
warm, so I can't get an accurate reading.
My theory is to check the pressure when
I get to an air source, then add 6-lbs to
whatever reading I get.
This may seem like a simple solution
but it took me years to figure that out.:shrug:

I have been very lucky and have not had to
put air in my tires while on a long trip. But
I still check them from time to time for
wear and pressure.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

I check my tire pressures,rear end oil,front wheel
bearings,trailer tires and trailer wheel bearings every
gas stop and NEVER get on the ground" ;)

I use an Infra Red temp gun and read my temps, that
tells me my tire PSI and rear end oil temp as well as the
front wheel bearing temp. When pulling the trailer I do
the same with it"

My Infra Red gun was $200.00 30 years ago or more
but you can buy them at Lowes for $29.95 now :roll: So
theres no reason for anyone (even cheap guys) to not
have one in their trunk.. ;)

I'm an ex factory road racer & motorcycle tire tester
so I've been doing this for years.

Good Luck & if you have any questions about using the
temp guns give me a call 704-236-2885

A

·
0 Posts
I think with the saddlebag and muffler located where they are in relation to the tire, one has to either get down on all fours or lay on one side to check or fill the rear tire. I have never burned my arm, but I check my pressure before riding, not during or after...I have a compressor in my garage though.
+1 on that... just get down on your back and do it.. there is no other way in my opinion. Got the compressor in the garage too...
^^^ what they said. I accidentally tumped my Wing over on the right crash guards trying to put it on the side stand to check the tires. Sure made it easy to get to the stems laying there on the concrete in my garage. :oops:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
^^^ what they said. I accidentally tumped my Wing over on the right crash guards trying to put it on the side stand to check the tires. Sure made it easy to get to the stems laying there on the concrete in my garage. :oops:

Thats a good reason to buy an Infra Red temp gun and
learn how to use it. 5 seconds to check the rear tire air
pressures beats any other way hands down...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just wish the front tire and back tire valve stems lined up. When I get the back tire in a position where I can fill it, the front tire valve stem is inside the front fender. So I have to roll it some more. I guess it's a minor annoyance but who ever mounted the tires is probably still laughing...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I check my tire pressures,rear end oil,front wheel
bearings,trailer tires and trailer wheel bearings every
gas stop and NEVER get on the ground" ;)

I use an Infra Red temp gun and read my temps, that
tells me my tire PSI and rear end oil temp as well as the
front wheel bearing temp. When pulling the trailer I do
the same with it"

My Infra Red gun was $200.00 30 years ago or more
but you can buy them at Lowes for $29.95 now :roll: So
theres no reason for anyone (even cheap guys) to not
have one in their trunk.. ;)

I'm an ex factory road racer & motorcycle tire tester
so I've been doing this for years.

Good Luck & if you have any questions about using the
temp guns give me a call 704-236-2885

Those things read PSI?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Thats a good reason to buy an Infra Red temp gun and
learn how to use it. 5 seconds to check the rear tire air
pressures beats any other way hands down...
I like the idea of using the temp gun for a lot of reasons, (Brakes, wheel bearings, etc), but have one question...

How can you check your tires with a heat gun when the bike is cold from sitting overnight? Wait till an under inflated tire gets dangerously hot, Then check it? Might not be the best method...

Seems that the best method is still to check them when their cold with a gauge before heading out.

Then use the heat gun while on the road.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You could line up the valve stems today and they won't be lined up tomorrow. Tires are different diameters, so they will forever continue to get out of line with each other.

Small tip, with the bike on the center stand, you can grab the front wheel and spin it without to much effort. You can move the tire around until the stem is in an accessible place.

I also use a small jack under the front of the motor if I want to clean the front wheel.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts